A Marvel-ous Suicide Squad?

HawksmoorSD

Re: A Marvel-ous Suicide Squad?

Hm, using currently alive / powered characters this is what I would go with:

Henry Peter Gyrich - Director of the program and loyal patriot with a questionable past. Could easily become an Amanda Waller character if given decent character development.

Quasimodo - Adviser to Gyrich and provides team recommendations and analysis of targets.

Protocide (Clinton McIntyre) - Early super-soldier, the "prototype" for Captain America. He died after ingesting the super-soldier serum and was preserved. His body was later recovered and revived by A.I.M. and he fought both Captain America and U.S. Agent. After realizing he was manipulated by A.I.M. He disappeared. He can become the Rick Flag of the team and could also be seeking redemption as well. Considering the injuries that John Walker has recently received, he could also become U.S. Agent II.

Awesome Android - He's the main muscle of the team and the most expendable. Has the capacity for learning and developing its own personality (which it did during a She-Hulk series, though his personality was later erased by the Mad Thinker).

Black Queen (Emma Steed) - She was the Black Queen of the London Hellfire Club. In her first appearance she battled Captain Britain during Excalibur's run, vanishing afterwords. What she's done since then and how she ends up on the team is up the you. Her powers are an immunity to telepathy (very useful) and the ability to create psionic weapons.

Lady Bullseye - Since Bullseye himself is dead, she's an excellent fill-in. She was trained by Daredevil's master, Izo, is a Hand assassin, and is also a lawyer. She is apparently faster than Bullseye and lacks a sent when in costume.

The Russian - Supposedly killed on Grand Nixon Island, but he was killed before too. He's the most light hearted, and most ruthless, member of the team. While he's useless for stealth missions, when the shit hits the fan he's the one you want drawing enemy fire.

Empath - Aside from a few brief periods, Empath has mostly been a supervillain. Depending on how one wants to use him, he can either be an unrepentant monster or a would-be hero seeking redemption. His power makes him able to manipulate everyone on the team aside from Black Queen and Awesome Android.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@DocSamson: Good write ups there Doc, very close to what I've cribbed up translating over from a few other systems. Took some tweaking to get my Puff Adder to come in at 5 tons though since that's his canon weight at full Puffed Up.....

Still, may just swipe your write ups double check a few OHOTMU thingies and save myself some pencil and paper time. :D

Thank you. I hope you get some use out of them. They both have some points left over so if I missed something (Serpent Society training?) there is plenty of room too add. Puff seems a little too strong too me but this happens in some Champs write-ups of comic characters. Slight superhuman STR (I interpreted this as a 35 as 30 is technically human level) + 1 level of Growth + total weight of 5 tons (I rounded to 2 levels of DI in addition to the Growth for this) = 60 STR. I think this fits well with a standard game.

I calculated Anaconda's STR in a similar fashion. She can lift 2 tons (I decided that 35 was closer than 40) and according to the Appendix source, it takes someone with roughly 30 times her STR to break free. Assuming average roles, I decided that someone with a 60 escape STR should be able to break out consistently. I think this also fits well in a standard game.

[edit] Their SPDs may be a point high too. I chose 5 simply because this is standard in our home games. Slow characters are usually a 4, fast characters a 6, and super-humanly fast characters a 7.

Heh, I'd roll with Gyrich as well but I wanted to keep him as a shadowy figure hiding in the back for a bit. Puff Adders strength may be a little high. He's not really in the class of the Thing, or even (Current) Luke Cage, and Charlie 27 could hold his own against him (But he seemed stronger then Charlie and certainly more then pre second dip in the soup Cage), I'd drop his strength down somewhat, then toss in a few "I weigh 5 freaking tons!" tricks so he doesn't get Pwned to easily.

Gaberegan's team has a nice feel to it as well but, the Russian.....just can't get the imagry out of my head during the Wearing a Dress moments, heh.

~Rex

Gyrich I could do with or without. The char has always annoyed me but if brought into the Waller mold I could go along with it. However Protocide is an awesome idea that I could easily see. Everyone watches him blow through some troops in a black costume and then congratulate him and ask how he got his legs back. He points off to the side and you see Walker sitting in his wheel chair and he just says "I ain't him, I'm better" and walks off.

Still torn on Protocide. I think it's because he handily stomped people he shouldn't have been able to take, aka people that have stomped folks Protocide couldn't handle.

On the other hand, he's got GREAT potential, and is just sitting there waiting to be used. I felt the same about Jack Monroe actually then of course, Winter Soldier got him, heh.

Shame to leave Walker in that Wheel Chair though but if anything, he's shown that he's not a gimp in it, AND, in it he could be shoved over to the Waller Job (as he runs the prison anyway), AND, then that opens the door for Protocide or a few others I can think of. Either way, good times good potential.

~Rex

Protocide has too much untouched potential to just not be used since his original appearance. I'm still hoping he might show up in Thunderbolts one day, but I don't think the story that introduced him was popular. He's literally made no appearances since then and probably isn't well known outside of long-time Captain America readers.

I could see John Walker becoming a Waller-type figure given his current direction. The only reason he hasn't gotten any cybernetic limbs is because after meeting and fighting Nuke, he's terrified that he could turn into that eventually.

Very true. As a long term Captain America fan, like a few others here, we all remember other "super soldier serum" experiments gone wrong. With Protocide, I see the potential, but, again, I hate Dan Jurgens, and the types of "Plot Device that ignores Continuity" storylines he tends to cough up. On the other hand, Jurgens has come up with some of my favorite comic characters as well which makes me hate him even more when he falls back on Lazy storytelling.

So there is potential in Protocide. Especially if you push him the USAgent direction, and then move Walker over to a Waller type of posistion. Leaving Walker in the wheel chair though is still kind of Lazy but if handled by one of Marvel's few good writers, having Walker put the screws to Protocide (and flushing that god aweful retarded name Jurgens coughed up like a bad hairball onto a comic page), and making him tow the line as the new USAgent, could make for a good read.

Definitly something to ponder. Me, I'd cyber up Walker first. Against his will, and bring back some of the elements of the old Luther Manning Dethlok angst. That would entertain me.

~Rex

I can see what you're saying about cybering him up and it being a good read. I just don't think it would fit. Yeah do something like that to the crooks so they earn extra time off but why force that on someone who's been a hero? I do however agree that Protocide needs a new name. Honestly when Steve Rodgers goes back to being Cap I could see him trying to live up to the name "Super Soldier".

...As I recall' date=' DC's Suicide Squad is 'bad guys given missions for the government in exchange for reduced sentencing' or whatever. This differs from Marvel's original concept for Freedom Force how, again?[/quote']

The reason Freedom Force was created was to use mutants to hunt mutants. Suicide Squad was to do covert missions.

DC's was successful? :)

And that :)

Yeah Marvel's had, two teams now, Freedom Force and Thunderbolts, where they've done the crook to hero thing or something similar and they've had Heroes doign the covert thing or even an Outsiders kind of set up (Secret Avengers in a couple of incarnations, Forceworks). They haven't really done, the "You're Expendable, and I mean Expendable now here is your mission!"

DC's really worked because of well, Ostrander for the most part. I'm not sure if they could really get the Squad afloat again without him writing it. You could toss it over to Gail Simone (the Squad/Secret Six crossover was a good time) but I don't think it would maintain very long. It had an definitive mechanic that worked really well for a good run.

Need to finish up a few more sheets for my lineup, then, I'm gonna dump them on my sunday players and see how fast they go for the TPK. :D

~Rex