Pulp vs hollow earth ?

shinzuer

Re: Pulp vs hollow earth ?

Hmm....Pulp Hero really isn't a setting as much as it is a Source Book for the genre that gives you the background mechanics and structure for doing things like Holllow Earth and more.....

Quite possibly the best of the 5th Ed Genre books. As for comparing though, not really apples to apples. Suffice to say with Pulp Hero you could make anything Pulp you could want, but you would have to make the setting beyond the typical Pulp Pastiche of Two Fisted Adventure in the 30's so to speak. The Core is there for sure, but again, not Apples to Apples.

~Rex

In one book, Tarzan took a ride on a zeppelin and enter Pelucidar (hollow earth) via the arctic route.

Tarzan is pure pulp and Edgar Rice Burroughs wasn't afraid to mix the ape-man with dinos.

The only thing I have to wonder about the hollow earth, is how the heck did the Nazis get there first?!!! You would think the nazis would learn by now. They steal the Arc and their faces melt. They drink from the wrong cup and guess what? their faces age and crumble to powder.

Something about pulps where the Nazis are always losing face...

Heh, Nazi's lose more Face then anything I can think of. ERB Tarzan running amok in Pelucidar is some great material. Certainly "Must Read", and you can do it easily with Pulp Hero. with HEX, you can as well if you roll within the HEX system but you can do so much more detail with HERO.

I grabbed Hollow Earth Expedition when it first came out and we had a good time with it, but then it went in the Source material for Pulp Hero pile shortly after. Pretty books though. :D

~Rex

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of using the Hollow Earth stuff in Pulp . I mainly wanted a more detailed weapon /combat system. Hate Hollow Earth in that they have so many sweet era guns [ their sample Big Game Hunter character with a .405 Winchester was the the thing that drew me the H.Earth in the first place ] but such bland stats. Might try porting PULP weapon system to H.E.

I converted the setting for a few friends of mine that really liked it. It's system is a bit to simple for my tastes, but then I consider Phoenix Command and Aftermath to be minimalist. Great setting though so since I have Pulp Hero on the shelf, I can toss folks the Hex book, and tell them to point out the pretty pictures they lick, and poof, characters and games from there.

~Rex

I can toss folks the Hex book, and tell them to point out the pretty pictures they lick, and poof, characters and games from there.

~Rex

Lick ? What the heck kind of game are you running there buddy ? lol

Seriously, sounds fun ! Was it much work ?

I assume when the Hollow Earth Revelations of Mars book finally comes out they will have ray guns. Easier to port from Champions ? ? ?

When you ask about "settings," are you interested in actual locations usable in a Pulp game with stats for HERO System? If that's the case, there's actually a lot available, most of it in the Hero Games Online Store. For starters, you'll want to check out Thrilling Places, a book compiling over a dozen exotic pulp-appropriate locales (briefly described on that webpage). That link is to the hardcopy of the book; it's also available as a cheaper PDF"]cheaper PDF.

Regarding your specific interest in a "Hollow Earth," I recommend the pulp mini-sourcebook Inner-Earth, a PDF detailing a whole pulpy region within giant caverns in the Earth. As you also express interest in "rayguns" and other pulp scifi conventions, Solar Smith and the Sky-Pirates of Arcturus may be just up your alley.

Including PDFs, Hero Games has actually published more settings, resources, and adventures for pulp than any other game company. You can view the selection in the Online Store on this webpage. Although the great majority of these were written for Fifth Edition HERO System (Sixth being the current edition), for the pulp genre there's not much difference between them rules-wise, so items written for either edition are easy to use with the other. Moreover, all the items in the Hero Games store written for Fifth are now half-price, including the PDFs, making checking them out dirt-cheap. :)

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of using the Hollow Earth stuff in Pulp . I mainly wanted a more detailed weapon /combat system. Hate Hollow Earth in that they have so many sweet era guns [ their sample Big Game Hunter character with a .405 Winchester was the the thing that drew me the H.Earth in the first place ] but such bland stats. Might try porting PULP weapon system to H.E.

The thing about weapons in Hero - they're as detailed as you want them to be.

When I first flipped through Dark Champions, I kept turning back to the cover to make sure it wasn't really "Guns and Ammo." There's more gun stuff in there than I can imagine ever wanting. (I think I did eventually get it but it was low on my list, partly because I know I'll NEVER need individual write ups on a hundred different kinds of fire arm.)

But if none of your players are gun nuts, you can find or make stats for "pistol, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, okay I'm done" and that works too.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says just don't bring around a crab cannon