His Power Is Faster...

GoldenAge

I have a query:

I have a character who has a natural speed of 3 (3,8,12). However, he has a power that is usable at speed 7 (2,4,6,7,9,11,12).

Here's the gist. The power is innate (weather powers). The cosmetic is that his control over the massive power of weather is happening fast, even faster than he can do other things. His normal SPEED 3 is bought at full cost, the remaining SPEED (up to SPEED 7) is bought with the Limitation: (only weather powers -1/2).

Since SPEED 3 & 7 don't match up exactly (SPEED 3 goes on 3 & 8, SPEED 7 does not) how do I determine which SPEEDs he can do things other than his weather control?

When can he run or punch or do anything else???

Should I have done this a different way?

Re: His Power Is Faster...

This kind of thing is usually asking for trouble, but here is how I would recommend it.

His actions go on Phases 4, 8, and 12 as per normal for Speed 3. (I see you put 3, 8, 12 - so I could be wrong on what phases are used, but I always do speed 3 as 4, 8, 12 - and then speed 4 as 3, 6, 9, 12.)

On the phases for speed 4, except for phase 12 - 3, 6, 9, and 11 - he can make the additional weather control actions. Almost as though acting as another character for those actions.

However, what you might see is confusion over what kinds of actions can be performed on which phases, and certainly it might break campaign limits if other characters have significantly fewer actions.

Another way to do it is to put a limitation on the extra speed that makes it more or less for "Abort Actions Only" or something similar; he can take the extra actions on any phase he doesn't already have an action, but must use them before his next action phase or lose one of the extra actions. If that makes sense. I did this for a speedster who was mainly just dodgy and such - speed 5, but with +2 Speed "Only for Abort or Move Actions."

So I'm not going to say that your method is incorrect, but it isn’t how I would have done it. I probably would have done it either of two ways:

+3 Speed, only for Weather powers (thus he uses weather powers only on 2, 6, 10; and acts normally on 4, 8, 12).

+7 secondary speed, only for weather powers, (from the Advanced Players guide) with some limitations.

The real question is, how do you want it to work, and when do you want to do non-weather actions?

Advanced Player Guide 2 will have Rules for Powers with their own Speed, things Like Missiles or Omega Beams.

And there is always the way of making his powers a "weather ghost" folower, but may create problems of concept (he's attackable).

What might help us is to tell us what you really want, not what your Idea of doing said thing is. From there we can work better on a solution. How do you want battle to work? How much control does he have over the weather (is there a "lag" for his missing speed)?

Okay, thanks for the quick replies... Let me try to clear a few things up. :)

His natural SPD is 3 (4,8,12). But the extra SPD he has with his powers gives him a functional SPD of 7 (2,4,6,7,9,11,12).

STURMFÜHRER (STORMLORD) can choose to use his weather powers (a weather multipower) on ALL 7 actions but can only do other things at most on 3 actions.

He can never go more than 7 Actions (that's all I've paid for). So, which SPDs (2,4,6,7,9,11,12) are the ones he gets to do other things (if he chooses to do so)?

This kind of thing is usually asking for trouble, but here is how I would recommend it.

His actions go on Phases 4, 8, and 12 as per normal for Speed 3. (I see you put 3, 8, 12 - so I could be wrong on what phases are used, but I always do speed 3 as 4, 8, 12 - and then speed 4 as 3, 6, 9, 12.)

On the phases for speed 4, except for phase 12 - 3, 6, 9, and 11 - he can make the additional weather control actions. Almost as though acting as another character for those actions.

However, what you might see is confusion over what kinds of actions can be performed on which phases, and certainly it might break campaign limits if other characters have significantly fewer actions.

Another way to do it is to put a limitation on the extra speed that makes it more or less for "Abort Actions Only" or something similar; he can take the extra actions on any phase he doesn't already have an action, but must use them before his next action phase or lose one of the extra actions. If that makes sense. I did this for a speedster who was mainly just dodgy and such - speed 5, but with +2 Speed "Only for Abort or Move Actions."

Are you saying that his final 7 SPEED should look like this: 3,4,6,8,9,11,12. Red numbers for Weather Control only, right?

If so, this totally solves my problem. :)

(2' date='[b']4[/b],6,7,9,11,12) I chose the nine. It would be an advantage to choose the 7 and this way it's near to delay a phase on 8.

Okay, this is very similar to Kraven Kor's answer (I think). So, which is right, or is it just arbitrary?

EDIT: You answered it already... THANKS!

Are you saying that his final 7 SPEED should look like this: 3' date='4,6,8,9,11,12. Red numbers for Weather Control only, right?

If so, this totally solves my problem. :)

I believe there is something in the APG about this (no books at the moment) and I think you're on the right track with that.