PRE Attack Questions

star

Re: PRE Attack Questions

SO I was wondering hwo exactly do PRE attacks work? Does it use up an action or are these automatic things people can do each phase?

They are automatic things you can do each phase. Though multiple PRE attacks vs the same target(s) lose potency.

One good use for them is when a character makes a spectacular attack (ie the Barbarian attacks the Black Knight, The barbarian both rolls a head shot (3 on Hit Location) and rolls nearly maximum Damage. Thereby hewing the head off his opponent in a single strike. He roars at the rest of his opponents, as he splatters them with the Black Knight's blood. That's an In combat Pre Attack. You take his Base Presence 20 (4d6) add it to -1d6 in combat, he's outnumbered so -1d6 at a disadvantage, Cutting someone's head off is an incredibly violent action +3d6, Very Appropriate setting +2d6, Good Soliloquy +1d6 = 8d6 Pre Attack which on an average roll will make opponents of up to pre 18 only Perform an attack action. They may even break and run away (I would probably have the leader of the opponents make an oratory roll to keep them from running away)

They are automatic things you can do each phase. Though multiple PRE attacks vs the same target(s) lose potency.

One good use for them is when a character makes a spectacular attack (ie the Barbarian attacks the Black Knight, The barbarian both rolls a head shot (3 on Hit Location) and rolls nearly maximum Damage. Thereby hewing the head off his opponent in a single strike. He roars at the rest of his opponents, as he splatters them with the Black Knight's blood. That's an In combat Pre Attack. You take his Base Presence 20 (4d6) add it to -1d6 in combat, he's outnumbered so -1d6 at a disadvantage, Cutting someone's head off is an incredibly violent action +3d6, Very Appropriate setting +2d6, Good Soliloquy +1d6 = 8d6 Pre Attack which on an average roll will make opponents of up to pre 18 only Perform an attack action. They may even break and run away (I would probably have the leader of the opponents make an oratory roll to keep them from running away)

Thanks for that run down but here is another question.

On 6E2 page 137 under "attack equal to presence" it says "If the total on the Presence Attack dice at least equals the target's PRE, the target is impressed. He hesitates enough so that the attacker may act before him that Phase."

This makes it sound like if you have 2 people both acting on say phase 7 they get to do the PRE attacks before they do anything else. If someone wins he can go first even if he has a lower dex. This is how it looks to me when I read this. That is why I am trying to find out the rules for starting a PRE attack and if they cost you an action or not to do.

However, they shouldn't be allowed every phase and like Tasha said, their effectiveness may get lower when used to often (repetedly).

And to have a decent effect, it often reqires some bonusses like "Violent Action", "uses Complication". When only equiped with a HTH-Weapon against Ranged enemys and all he did was trying to close the distance - in combat, at a disadvantage, inapropirate setting and no violent action.

Also, the enemy's leader can use "counter Presence Attacks". The "receives +5 PRE only for purposes of resisting contrary Presence Attacks" is there to bolster your man against the heroes. Superman may be really frightening if you are a normal with a gun, but when you have someone who can take him on at your side and he storms in with "Be Steadfast!" it looks better for your side.