My Homage Hero's Setting Thread

humantorch101

While recently deciding to start a new face to face supers campaign I have had to make a final decision on both which game system to run it in and just as importantly which setting.

I got some great feedback recently here on a thread to decide which edition of the Hero system to run (6th edition thanks guys). So with that major hurdle out of the way I now go to which setting and it was a pretty simple choice to make as i have always ran homage settings rather than direct DC/Marvel universes.

I took a look at all my old material and thought it would be fun to re-imagine it as much as I could to take into account all the great new supers setting material that has been published over the last few years.

Now I want to be very up front about this, the setting and the characters are very, very clear unambiguous homages to the original DC/Marvel/Image characters.

Think of the setting as a large multiverse what if storyline where the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

The New game will start in 1975 and will try as much as i can to only contain characters published up to that date and then run forwards in time as the campaign progresses. I have chosen 1975 as I wanted a start date in the campaigns time scale that ensured the setting was not to cluttered considering I am using a combined homage universe containing inspirations from both major comic companies.

Also I wanted many of the hero's and villains to age normally and retire as well as die and legacies both good and evil to pass on, while other hero's and villains will age slower due to their powers or not at all.

The vast majority of the characters will be very loosely based name and background wise of published rpg supers material seen through the blinding lens of

the original comic published characters homage.

Where I will need a lot of help from you guys is in that i do not know 6th edition well AT ALL! I am going to try to keep the builds quite simple at first and maybe then go back and complicate them a little as I get more versed with the new rules. But I would love as much help as possible with feedback both good and bad on the builds. For your information I will be using the advanced players guide eventually as well as the base books.

Another area of help will be in ensuring I have enough links and connections however tenuous between the various DC-Marvel characters. I am going for a base rule of at least three connections between the characters but again would love some feedback and suggestions on this when you think of them and I will go back and add them into the background if I like the connection.

Will be doing many supporting characters as well as super folks and will also try to keep a detailed timeline and adventure summery of the various characters.

I have one big question for you, would you prefer me to stick to one area of the universe at a time (detail my fantastic four homage sourcebook, then on to batman's then the x men etc), or would you prefer a scattered approach bouncing between characters and teams?

Re: My Homage Hero's Setting Thread

My versions are on the complex side but you are welcome to mine them for ideas. I love seeing other poster's takes on the iconic characters of Marvel and DC. I even tried to get myself motivated to do the Fantastic Four as starting 400 point characters but I got stuck on Mr. Fantastic himself as he presents the biggest point budget issues (preserving his combat power level with respect to his teammates vs. establishing his preeminent gadgeteering genius).