A Limited Area of Effect Advantage

5th EDITION: Hi guys. Trying to design a small cone-shaped AOE attack that packs a decent punch. The problem with the normal AOE advantage is, of course, for a simple 2d6 RKA (also w/ the Penetrating adv. as it's a fire attack,) that makes a 10" Cone, which is WAY bigger than intended (think short-range flamethrower attack - specifically, a Firebat weapon in my upcoming Starcraft Hero game.) Ideally, it shouldn't be any greater than 3". Obviously I can easily make a "custom" advantage Limited AoE for +1/2 instead of the full +1 version, I just want to make sure there's not an already-existing way to create that. I could use the Limited Power disad, but I'm looking for a way to reflect the shorter range in the Active Point cost of the attack for more accurate balance comparisons.

Currently built as:

CMC-660 "Firebat" - 2d6 RKA (Penetrating +1; +1/2, Limited Area of Effect (3" Cone); +1/2, 60 Active Points)(No Range; -1/2, OAF; -1)

Re: A Limited Area of Effect Advantage

Another option might be to use Explosion/Cone instead.

24 Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Penetrating (+1/2), Explosion (Cone; -1 DC/2"; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2) 6

Beyond 2" it does 2d6-1, beyond 4" it does 1d6+1, etc... .

Afaik in 6E you have to option to make a HTH-Range Cone (just hit anything right in front of you).

It would fit the StarCraft game mechanis for the Firebats Flamer even better, but that was maybe just choosen because of Programming Constraints back then.

Overall, what ranges for normal weapons are we talking about? Compared to that 10" or 3" might not be that much difference.

That HTH Range-Cone idea does sound perfect, would just have to remove the damage added by Strength. I could still probably create that in HD3 using a Custom Power. I mean ultimately it doesn't matter too much as it is equipment which isn't bought with character points (doing a 150pt heroic campaign - although any personal modifications or upgrades they make to their equipment will be bought by XP w/ the Independent lim.)

I thought about using Explosion but it doesn't quite simulate the effect of the attack as well - it's actually really rather nasty. The weapons project a burning gaseous plasma into the affected area & that gas seeps in through any cracks or gaps in the victims armor or carapace & literally roasts them inside their own shell from the inside out. So being slightly further away doesn't necessarily reduce the effect as there's no concussive component to the damage done (edit - though maybe it's more concentrated the closer you are? Hmm...that's worth considering.)

Normally weapons will have full range, off-set of course by the range penalties so that Marines aren't bagging Zerglings from 1800 feet away with a fully automatic Gauss rifle. Given average CV's for the characters, I'd say anything beyond about the 12-16" range has a decent chance of not being hit in a firefight that doesn't involve Vehicles.

I'll toy around w/ making a custom hth no str aoe cone attack tonight. Any other ideas though, keep em comin. Great stuff so far, thanks guys.