Questionite Shield for 6E

Steve

I was looking through the Gadgets & Gear book, and I was curious how to update the powers of the Questionite Shield for 6th Edition. Take slot #1 for example, a force wall. How many Body would you give it in a 6E version? Any other changes to its powers you might suggest?

Re: Questionite Shield for 6E

I don't have the book, but this is what Opale made as shield for her "American Dream" character (the shield is basically the one from Captain America). The "Hiding Cover" is missing Resistant, and you might want to change the limitation on it, howeveer:

37 Shield: Multipower, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); all slots OAF Unbreakable (-1)

4u 1) Shield Strike: Energy Blast 15d6 (75 Active Points); OAF Unbreakable (-1) 7

3u 2) Hidding cover: Armor (20 PD/20 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (75 Active Points); OAF Unbreakable (-1), Activation Roll 15- (-1/4) 0

1u 3) Shield: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack) (20 Active Points); OAF Unbreakable (-1) 0

Questionite is basically Adamantium/whatever the Cap-A shield is made from/Indestructium. So a force wall/barrier would not really fit it.

Block and Deflect are the all-or-nothing defense options vs. a specific attack but Force Wall was appropriate for "hiding behind my shield".

In 6e I would probably use a Damage Negation slot instead as it also reduces KB.

It would protect the person with the shield, not the poor civilians cowering behind him. AoE's generally don't operate on Line of Sight, they are happy to engulf your defended self and blast those behind you. That, to me, is what the Force Wall was for, and the role you'd have to replace with something else.

It would protect the person with the shield' date=' not the poor civilians cowering behind him. AoE's generally don't operate on Line of Sight, they are happy to engulf your defended self and blast those behind you. That, to me, is what the Force Wall was for, and the role you'd have to replace with something else.[/quote']

It must be a really big shield to protect persons behind you. A tower shield at least.

What you describe sounds more like "jump into the path of a blast", using the shields PD/ED bonus to survive the impact.

The 6E version uses :

Resistant Protection (50 PD/50ED), Hardened (x2; +½), Impenetrable (x2;+½); OAF (-1), Nonpersistent (-¼), RequiresA Use Questionite Shield Roll (no Active Point

penalty; -0)

there's a Deflection slot and a Flash Defense slot

the rest are offensive slots.

It must be a really big shield to protect persons behind you. A tower shield at least.

Nope, just a common fiction convention that even a small shield can protect people behind it if you use it heroically enough.

Nope' date=' just a common fiction convention that even a small shield can protect people behind it if you use it heroically enough.[/quote']

Not more than by just standing in the way, while having enough toughness to withstand the attack (the D's of the shield just give you these extra "toughness"). Just because it looked similar to a AOE effect in the comics, does not mean it was one/would be builds as one in the hero system.

So in game terms what he "blocked" was a blast/drain/entangle. Maybe he was in the way of a cone. But I would build this just by standing in the way, not by a barrier.

I would buy myself some way to save people from AoEs (the mechanic and the SFX) if I was a shield-based hero, just seems to be a common use of a shield in fiction that should be done.

Building it as a barrier isn't necessary what I'd do (one because, if it were not big enough, the AoE would probably just wrap around it!) but I imagine that is the effect that people were going for when they built that power.

I'd build it as a UBO Damage Negation limited to the people directly behind me in an AoE attack. Wouldn't be expensive to add that to a Shield Multi-Power, and the civilians will thank me for my foresight, neh?

I'd build it as a UBO Damage Negation limited to the people directly behind me in an AoE attack. Wouldn't be expensive to add that to a Shield Multi-Power' date=' and the civilians will thank me for my foresight, neh?[/quote']

No doubt they would. They would perhaps wonder why standing behind you protects them when fire is raining verticaly from the sky, but they would be greatefull ;)

No doubt they would. They would perhaps wonder why standing behind you protects them when fire is raining verticaly from the sky' date=' but they would be greatefull ;)[/quote']

Limited to appropriate SFX of course :)