Need a Name

Supreme

I've got this idea for a character, but no name.

Preamble to my idea:

I was thinking while reading Robert Graves' "Greek Gods and Heroes" about avatar super-heroes. This is to say super-heroes whose powers stem from a particular deity. The most popular for most PCs are gods like Heracles, Athena, Ares, etc. But I started thinking about Hermes. God of stealth, theft, and deception a Hermetic avatar would also be adept at stopping stealth, theft, and deception as well. Hermes is also the god of boxing and wrestling which is what passed for martial arts back then. In a modern setting, I think it would be fair to say Hermes would be the god of unarmed combat or martial arts.

I know, I know everyone thinks that Ares should be that god. But really, Ares is the god of warfare not individual combat. He's the god of lining up companies of soldiers and convincing them go march off to die against their better judgement. Hermes, being the trickster god, is perfect for a martial arts god as martial arts is essentially a way of tricking your opponent into defeat. You don't trade blows until one of you is dead. You pin this arm, duck that blow, punch those floating ribs, etc.

Anyway, my idea is of an archaeologist whose family is murdered by theives. The archaeologist himself is also mortally wounded and bleeding to death on a statue of Hermes. While delirious from blood loss, he shouts to Hermes that his theives have gone too far. Hermes agrees. Hermes endows him with an earthly version of his power. The archaeologist is now endowed with Neo-like MA and stealth powers (which would be so great that they'd have to be bought as invisibility). He wreaks his vengeance on the theives.

Afterwards our hero expects to lose his powers and go back to bleeding to death, but doesn't. Why not? Well, Hermes is not exactly the god of sticking around to see how things work out, is he? No. Hermes gave a gift to absolve some guilt and is now on to other things. This leaves our hero with the idea to continue onward fighting criminals that go too far (i.e. violent). Thing is, our hero doesn't want to use anything even remotely related to Hermes as his motif. So what motif, if any do I use? What name should he have?

Pankraton (Sp?) is the name of a bone breaking martial art from ancient Greece, and I think it means "All Powerful" arrogant, but it might also be a good name for this guy. Still might be too 'greek' for you though.

How about Sentry, Sentinel or Guardian, it would be irony that the god of theives empowered a man who took the name of those that twhart thieves.

If he's wanting to keep the Greek connection:

Autolykos - "the wolf himself", son of Hermes, said to be able to steal anything.

Krypteia - Spartan "secret police" who spied upon and killed helots that got out of line.

Odysseus - wiliest Greek of them all, stole the Palladium, plus tricked Achilles into revealing himself, thought up the Trojan Horse.

Some good suggestions. Thanks. Upon further examination, I notice that Hermes was also the god of musical instruments (credited with inventing the flute, lyre, and pipes) as well as foot races. So I should probably give him a lot more running.

Prankaton, from which we get the word prank, is something that Hermes would almost certainly be associated with, but I have to admit I don't like the sound of the name. Sorry.

Lightray, you have some interesting suggestions, but I prefer to use names that mean something to the regular folk. I suppose I could accent on the stealth or trickery ideas and come up with something there.

Alas, all the really good names are taken.

Originally posted by Hermit

Hmm ,perhaps you could go with animal names. The animal would need to be one that took out similar animals to reflect how this guy goes after those of similar skills but different aims.

Kingsnake

Wolfhound

just to name two options.

I kind of like Wolfhound, since -IIRC- that's a dog that hunts wolves. Highly similar in idea to my character. It takes one to catch one and such. I was looking at dictionary.com. In their thesaurus, under "thief" they listed "midnighter." Damn Warren Ellis! Also under all that is "owl." Isn't there a cool term for someone who catches thieves? Or how about some kind of light or lantern that is used to illuminate the darkness, particularly to prevent crime?

Originally posted by Hermit

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/index.htm

Try looking here, maybe something will help.

Ironically, I almost suggest Blackguard. Yes, it's actual meaning is nasty, but the irony of it might appeal and fit your concept.

Interesting, but you can't do a thesaurus search there. Still, one of the article mentioned moonlight. Hmm... Dictionary.com's thesaurus gave me a couple of other ideas:

• Jacklight
  • Balefire
  • Watchman

I'd love to use "Twilight" but Awesome comics sort of has that one. Hmm... Just looked up "ghost" and "eidolon" came up as a spook or an ideal vision. Hmm...

Originally posted by Supreme

Interesting, but you can't do a thesaurus search there. Still, one of the article mentioned moonlight. Hmm... Dictionary.com's thesaurus gave me a couple of other ideas:

• Jacklight
  • Balefire
  • Watchman

I'd love to use "Twilight" but Awesome comics sort of has that one.

I believe "Watchfire" was once a term for fires used to help guard...and it sounds cool. Though it might fit a flaming character better.

Or how about some kind of light or lantern that is used to illuminate the darkness, particularly to prevent crime?

hmmm... IIRC, "hooded lanterns" were the ones capped atop so you don't get too warm when carrying them. "bullseye lanterns" may be the ones that restricted the light beam (i think they've got vanes or shutters to block off the light).

Not sure if they were used historically, but I seem to remember a point being made in D&D that thieves would use such lanterns so nobody would notice the light.

Originally posted by Lightray

hmmm... IIRC, "hooded lanterns" were the ones capped atop so you don't get too warm when carrying them. "bullseye lanterns" may be the ones that restricted the light beam (i think they've got vanes or shutters to block off the light).

Not sure if they were used historically, but I seem to remember a point being made in D&D that thieves would use such lanterns so nobody would notice the light.

I kind of like these ideas a bit. I'll have to think about them more. Thanks.

I kind of like Wolfhound, since -IIRC- that's a dog that hunts wolves. Highly similar in idea to my character. It takes one to catch one and such. I was looking at dictionary.com. In their thesaurus, under "thief" they listed "midnighter." Damn Warren Ellis! Also under all that is "owl." Isn't there a cool term for someone who catches thieves? Or how about some kind of light or lantern that is used to illuminate the darkness, particularly to prevent crime?

There was the Greek cynic philosopher Diogenes, who was said to walk about during the day with a lit lantern, looking for an honest man.

How about "Fury?" The function of the Furies was to avenge unpunished crimes. Not a gender match, but I doubt many moderns would know or care.

On the animal front, I'm partial to "Mongoose" - fast, agile and hunts snakes. Often kept as a pet to protect the home.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

There was the Greek cynic philosopher Diogenes, who was said to walk about during the day with a lit lantern, looking for an honest man.

How about "Fury?" The function of the Furies was to avenge unpunished crimes. Not a gender match, but I doubt many moderns would know or care.

On the animal front, I'm partial to "Mongoose" - fast, agile and hunts snakes. Often kept as a pet to protect the home.

Though otherwise very appropriate, "Fury" has been used in many, many games that I've been in. An animal motif is a possibility, though the only animals associated with Hermes are herd animals. "Cow-Man" doesn't do it for me. ;)

Some good suggestions. Thanks. Upon further examination, I notice that Hermes was also the god of musical instruments (credited with inventing the flute, lyre, and pipes) as well as foot races. So I should probably give him a lot more running.

Prankaton, from which we get the word prank, is something that Hermes would almost certainly be associated with, but I have to admit I don't like the sound of the name. Sorry.

At home now, and there's a few other Hermes aspects that bear consideration:

Hermes was the patron of the gymnasia, from whence the Greeks got their ideal of (male, mostly) athletic beauty. From whence we derive "gymnastics" (Greek gymnastics different from modern gymnastics) (note: please don't call him "Gymkata").

Hermes was also the psychopomp of the Greek pantheon -- he led the dead down to see Hades.

Hermes was the patron of merchants, trade, wealth, travelers, etc.

Also, Hermes was the father by Aphrodite of Hermaphrodites, the father (by unknown mother) of Priapus, the father of at least one satyr attendant upon Dionysos, and connected with the "herm" -- little statuettes of penes kept as good luck charms. I can't find the reference, but I think it was Athens that woke up one day to find all their herms broken by vandals, causing them to vote against (or for) war or something in the Assembly, which led to disaster. drat.

I am not sure how the latter paragraph might be incorporated into a Champions character, but it would surely be interesting. :D

Originally posted by Lightray

At home now, and there's a few other Hermes aspects that bear consideration:

Hermes was the patron of the gymnasia, from whence the Greeks got their ideal of (male, mostly) athletic beauty. From whence we derive "gymnastics" (Greek gymnastics different from modern gymnastics) (note: please don't call him "Gymkata").

Hermes was also the psychopomp of the Greek pantheon -- he led the dead down to see Hades.

Hermes was the patron of merchants, trade, wealth, travelers, etc.

Also, Hermes was the father by Aphrodite of Hermaphrodites, the father (by unknown mother) of Priapus, the father of at least one satyr attendant upon Dionysos, and connected with the "herm" -- little statuettes of penes kept as good luck charms. I can't find the reference, but I think it was Athens that woke up one day to find all their herms broken by vandals, causing them to vote against (or for) war or something in the Assembly, which led to disaster. drat.

I am not sure how the latter paragraph might be incorporated into a Champions character, but it would surely be interesting. :D

Thanks, LR, I was actually aware of most of that, but it's always good to be reminded. No, I can't think of how to incorporate hermaphroditism into a Champs character, either. I just have to accept my limitations, I guess. I also can't see much use for the merchant/businessman aspect other than to just buy him extra wealth. I suppose the character would start to realize that he could do a lot better with the money he's earning and start rolling things into tea-bills and what-not.

The gymnasia aspect makes sense. He was the deity of athletes. Heck, he was probably the most diverse deity in the Greek pantheon (which means he was probably the oldest, starting as a deity of his own pantheon and then getting incorporated into the mainstream Greek pantheon later). I can't really see how to incorporate that either. And if I did I don't think some permutation of "Athletic Man" would strike terror into the hearts of the wicked.

I think that the psychopomp aspect has potential, though. Unfortunately, the only thing I can think of connected with that is the river Styx and since the band was so popular... Heck, Hermes is already the god of musical instruments. ;)

So I still come back to "Nightfall." That is, unless someone else can think of a good psychopomp-related name.

:confused:

Looking in my highly selective thesaurus for the extraordinarily literate suggests:

For "thief": Ladrone( pirate, robber, rogue, rascal)

No "athlete" or "gymnast", oddly.

For "guide": Cicerone (guide for sightseers), Dragoman (Turkish, Persian, or Arabic interpreter or guide), Shikari (big game hunter or guide for same) (huh, also name of one of the Legionnaires, probably Dawnstar rebooted)

For "traveler": Viator, Wayfarer. Also, looking at "travel" sees "peregrination" which suggests Peregrine (a bird of prey)

The latter brings to mind Rook (swindler or cheat, also small black bird somewhat like a crow, also one of the pieces in chess)

Well, guess I have to get back to working on tomorrow's game. *sigh*