Villain gains the powers of a Wendigo

TheNaga

Re: Villain gains the powers of a Wendigo

Would you allow this character to be pc?

It depends. First, he would have to fit the campaign. He won't be a great fit in a realistic WW II campaign, for example.

Then, you would have to show me how this character will fit the tone of the game. If it's a four colour Supers game, show me his motivation to be a Hero, rather than a Scary Monster. Demonstrate how he will wish to interact and work with the other members of the team, and why they would wish to do the same with him. If he's intended to be a big scary monster that rips out people's organs, then he will only fit in a game that focuses on big scary monsters as protagonists.

Why would he want to gain the powers of a spirit of cannibalism and winter? I would see some one wanting to gain the powers and abilities of a Wendigo without commiting cannibalism because they can live forever and have the great powers and abilities of a Wendigo. The Wendigo could runs at min of 40 mph and at max 90 mph in Palladium settings if you get the right roll, 3D6 M.D.C. per melee round in Rifts, and never tires in Palladium settings. The Wendigo can lfit 90 tons and does not need to sleep.

If I could work it I would make a Wendigo suffer two-and-a-half to three times the damge and stun from fire.

Effective immortal, only the burning of its heart can kill a Wendigo.

I know that he would be hunt when ever he is in Wendigo form. When in the form of the Wendigo he icannot disgues hims looks except thruough magic.

Why would he want to gain the powers of a spirit of cannibalism and winter? I would see some one wanting to gain the powers and abilities of a Wendigo without commiting cannibalism because they can live forever and have the great powers and abilities of a Wendigo.

I can certainly see someone wanting that power. The question is WHY they want it - what purpose does he have in mind in pursuing that power? If Bruce Wayne gains the power of a Wendigo, he will not use it for the same purposes Frank Castle, Lex Luthor or Victor von Doom will. It's their personality - their motivation - that makes them a character, rather than a stack of statistics that we decide constitutes "the power of the Wendigo". And it is that personality that will determine whether they will fit into any given game - in Champions, commonly, whether they are a HERO.

If I could work it I would make a Wendigo suffer two-and-a-half to three times the damge and stun from fire.

So give him a Vulnerability complication (2x from Fire(), a Susceptibility complication (3d6 from fire) and buy some of his defenses "not vs Fire". But expect that he will be attacked by fire on occasion and, with that level of vulnerability, it will likely mean he is out of the battle in pretty short order.

I know that he would be hunt when ever he is in Wendigo form. When in the form of the Wendigo he icannot disgues hims looks except thruough magic.

What you need to know is the campaign style - how much of the game will be based on situations where the Wendigo form is not a practical alternative? The GM will need to know what this character can do at times when the Wendigo form is not an option (or is, but direct combat is not going to solve the problem. How will he participate in investigations?

As well, your "when in Wendigo form" statement seems pretty optimistic. How long before someone films him transforming? If the Super team always has either a guy with seemingly no powers or a great ravening clawed beast with them, won't the press put two and two together? Why would a captured villain not "out" the Wendigo? If the Wendigo is hunted, why would his hunters look the other way when his in human form (and easier to take down!)?

The nature of the campaign will set the practicality of the character. This one sounds like it's pulled from a Palladium game where all the characters are monsters on the inside, a setting which would be designed to deal with characters who have horrific alternate forms. In a Champions game, the character types are typically much more varied, and the game will not routinely give the character the option of transforming without being found out.

As well, your "when in Wendigo form" statement seems pretty optimistic. How long before someone films him transforming?

I'd guess the answer would be the same as to the question "how long before someone films Clark Kent going into a phone booth and Superman coming out or vice versa?"

Roughly forever.

If the Super team always has either a guy with seemingly no powers or a great ravening clawed beast with them' date=' won't the press put two and two together? [/quote']

How often does a superteam assemble to meet the press with one or more members in their "normal" identity?

Why would a captured villain not "out" the Wendigo?

Why would a captured villain not "out" Superman, Batman, Spiderman?

I think it's because they usually don't know.

If the Wendigo is hunted' date=' why would his hunters look the other way when his in human form (and easier to take down!)?[/quote']

Let's ask Hulk that question.

The nature of the campaign will set the practicality of the character.

Which is why we can't say of this character concept "Oh heck no it's not viable." We can only say "It's probably not viable in lots of games."

In a Champions game' date=' the character types are typically much more varied, and the game will not routinely give the character the option of transforming without being found out.[/quote']

Could have fooled me. I thought in Champions games, that's what phone booths and janitor's closets were FOR.

Lucius Alexander

No one suspects that the mild mannered palindromedary is actually

The Green Llamma!

I'd guess the answer would be the same as to the question "how long before someone films Clark Kent going into a phone booth and Superman coming out or vice versa?"

Roughly forever.

Depends on the game. Quite a lot if you're reading Silver Age stories, where Supes seemed to spend a lot more time protecting his secret ID than dealing with criminals.

How often does a superteam assemble to meet the press with one or more members in their "normal" identity?

If the other form is a slavering monster, what are their options? Alpha Flight's Sasquatch would appear with the team in monster form, as does the Thing. Neither was hunted by large groups because he was a cannibalistic monster. If this fellow just has the ability to take on a more powerful form, in which he remains heroic rather than horrific, he can reasonably do the same. Again, in the typical Supers game.

Why would a captured villain not "out" Superman' date=' Batman, Spiderman?[/quote']

Because the captured villain doesn't see them in "normal form" versus "monster form"?

Let's ask Hulk that question.

Hulk's real enemies have often attempted to capture him while he is in human form. Banner is a lot more susceptible to a tranq dart, for example.

Which is why we can't say of this character concept "Oh heck no it's not viable." We can only say "It's probably not viable in lots of games."

Which is why my comments included statements like "And it is that personality that will determine whether they will fit into any given game - in Champions, commonly, whether they are a HERO.", "What you need to know is the campaign style" and "The nature of the campaign will set the practicality of the character. "

Could have fooled me. I thought in Champions games' date=' that's what phone booths and janitor's closets were FOR. [/quote']

Assuming he comes out of the closet (or booth), it becomes readily apparent the SuperTeam is working with a slathering monster. If, instead, they are working with a monstrous, but heroic, Super, then he fits much better. Once again, "it is that personality that will determine whether they will fit into any given game - in Champions, commonly, whether they are a HERO.", "What you need to know is the campaign style"

• 1 year later...

I submitted a wendigo character sheet to Digital Hero back when it was in 'print.' I'm afraid I don't know what the exact issue is' date=' but it's a 5e version of the traditional wendigo.[/quote']

argh! I can't find the wendigo in Digital Hero.