Villain gains the powers of a Wendigo

TheNaga

How would I turn my verision of Wendigo into a Champions character? TWendigos do not need to have mgic related cold, ice and snow but need some powers related to the fact they are spirits of winter. Also would it be to much for a player character to gain the powers of my Wendigo?

Wendigo NPC Monster

Alignment: Diabolic evil

Attributes: I.Q.: 3D6; M.E.: 3D6; M.A.: 2D6; P.S.: 3D6+30; P.P. 2D6+20; P.E.: 2D6+20; P.B.: 1D4; Spd: 2D6x10 +20. All attributes are supernatural

Size: 20-26 feet tall

Weight: 98-100 lbs

Hit Points:

S.D.C.:

M.D.C.: 1D4X100+200

Horror Factor: 16

Average Life Span: Effective immortal, only the burning of its heart can kill a Wendigo.

P.P.E.: 1D6x100

Natural Abilities: Nightvision 2500 feet (762 m),The Wendigo never tires, can track by smell alone at 85%, can recognize a specific scent at 75%, and regenerates 3D6 M.D.C. per melee round.

Frost Powers (special):

Can walk on top of snow and the thinnest ice without making noise, falling through, or leaving tracks (impossible to track).

Can climb pillars of ice, and glaciers equal to a skill of 97%/92%.

Can see in blowing snow.

Skate across ice and ski across snow with grace and at triple the Wendigo’s normal running speed, and +1 on initiative, +1 to strike and +3 to dodge.

Sense the approach of snow, snow storms, and ice storms involving air and freezing water at 95%, up to 200 miles away.

Limited Metamorphosis: A Wendigo can assume the form it had before becoming a Wendigo. While in human form its eye glow brightly when it’s angry.

Limited Invisibility (special): Completely invisible and undetectable by modern machines while in a snowstorm unless within 12 feet (3.65m) or closer. The same is true if the Wendigo dives into snow and covers itself completely.

Limited Invulnerability: The Wendigo is impervious to poisons/toxins/drugs and diseases. The Wendigo is also impervious to the most frigid cold, and cold-based magic has no affect and does no damage.

Vulnerabilities: Normal fire does Mega-Damage! An ordinary flaming club, torch or arrow will inflict 2D6 M.D., being knocked into a bonfire does 4D6 M.D., while Mega-Damage fire, plasma, and magic fire (including flaming swords) inflict double damage.

R.C.C. Skills: The equivalent of land navigation, swim, track animals, track humanoids, wilderness survival all at 96%, plus detect ambush 70%, climb 70%/60%, prowl 65%

R.C.C. Combat Attacks Per Melee: Six physical or two magic attacks per melee

Magic: All Wendigo can cast the following spells, provide it has sufficient P.P.E.: Air & Water elemental spells found in RiftsÒ Conversion Book One, starting on page 62: Howling Wind, Northwind, Northern Lights, Calm Storms (snow, hail, and ice storms only), Freeze Water, Snow Storm, Sheet of Ice, Hail, Shards of Ice, Wall of Ice, Ten Foot Ball of Ice, Encase in Ice, plus the following from RiftsÒ Federation of Magic: Orb of Frost, Wave of Cold, Frostblade, and Ice.

Psionics: None

Enemies: Humans

Allies: None

Value: None

Habitat:

Re: Villain gains the powers of a Wendigo

Rather than a stat block from the game system it comes from, take two steps backward and define what it does in plain English. Then build that in Hero system terms. I find trying to trranslate direct game to game by some magic formula never generates a good result.

How would I turn my verision of Wendigo into a Champions character? TWendigos do not need to have mgic related cold' date=' ice and snow but need some powers related to the fact they are spirits of winter. Also would it be to much for a player character to gain the powers of my Wendigo?[/quote']

That question cannot be answered in a vacuum. It needs the context of game parameters. If this is a Normals with Guns game, yes, it's way too much. In a Supers game, it should be easy to build an appropriate character. It would be pretty easy to do a writeup that's too weak for a given Supers game as well.

Wendigo NPC Monster

Alignment: Diabolic evil

Attributes: I.Q.: 3D6; M.E.: 3D6; M.A.: 2D6; P.S.: 3D6+30; P.P. 2D6+20; P.E.: 2D6+20; P.B.: 1D4; Spd: 2D6x10 +20. All attributes are supernatural

With no baseline to judge to, I'm going to say you build a character with about average mental stats, maybe a bit low for whatever MA seems to best map to. It should have a high STR, CON, BOD (physical attributes) and a good DEX and Speed. It probably has decent defenses.

Size: 20-26 feet tall

Weight: 98-100 lbs

Its size mainly backs up its physical stats. Some extra Running, maybe Reach-type Stretching and Presence (perhaps offense only) seems reasonable. It should also have a poor DCV given its size. If 98-100lb weight is accurate, a Complication that it takes considerable extra Knockback seems appropriate. If its weight should be commensurate with its size, some Knockback Resistance is mandated.

Hit Points:

S.D.C.:

M.D.C.: 1D4X100+200

Horror Factor: 16

Physical stats will already have set STUN and BOD.

Average Life Span: Effective immortal' date=' only the burning of its heart can kill a Wendigo.[/size']

P.P.E.: 1D6x100

Life Support Immortal and Regeneration from Death (perhaps ONLY from death unless it otherwise heals rapidly) cover these off.

Natural Abilities: Nightvision 2500 feet (762 m)' date='The Wendigo never tires, can track by smell alone at 85%, can recognize a specific scent at 75%, and regenerates 3D6 M.D.C. per melee round.[/size']

Frost Powers (special):

Enhanced senses for the nightvision and exceptional olfactory senses, and his Regeneration should recover BOD. A high Recovery will also add his recuperative powers. High END to be tireless is pretty easy.

Can walk on top of snow and the thinnest ice without making noise' date=' falling through, or leaving tracks (impossible to track).[/size']

Gliding with suitable limitations is often used to simulate similar abilities. Stealth takes out the noisemaking.

Can climb pillars of ice' date=' and glaciers equal to a skill of 97%/92%.[/size']

Climbing skill plus some limited bonuses.

Can see in blowing snow.

Enhanced Perception or penalty skill levels can deal with this.

Skate across ice and ski across snow with grace and at triple the Wendigo’s normal running speed' date=' and +1 on initiative, +1 to strike and +3 to dodge.[/size']

Extra running (or just higher Gliding; see above) and Skill Levels on ice and snow. Given all the abilities that only work on ice and snow, this will presumably appear in a wintertime setting.

Sense the approach of snow' date=' snow storms, and ice storms involving air and freezing water at 95%, up to 200 miles away.[/size']

Back to Enhanced Senses for a Detect.

Limited Metamorphosis: A Wendigo can assume the form it had before becoming a Wendigo. While in human form its eye glow brightly when it’s angry.

Either Wendigo powers are Only in Alternate ID, give it a Multiform, or this is just SFX with no game impact. The eyes can be addressed with a Distinctive Features complication (which the monstrous form probably has to a greater level anyway).

Limited Invisibility (special): Completely invisible and undetectable by modern machines while in a snowstorm unless within 12 feet (3.65m) or closer. The same is true if the Wendigo dives into snow and covers itself completely.

Invisibility with limitations.

Limited Invulnerability: The Wendigo is impervious to poisons/toxins/drugs and diseases. The Wendigo is also impervious to the most frigid cold' date=' and cold-based magic has no affect and does no damage.[/size']

Life Support plus defenses (consider Damage Negation) that only work against cold attacks. Note that absolute immunity is a tough concept in Hero terms. Your GM should be willing to work with you to establish a defense level at which the character is functionally immune to such attacks.

Vulnerabilities: Normal fire does Mega-Damage! An ordinary flaming club' date=' torch or arrow will inflict 2D6 M.D., being knocked into a bonfire does 4D6 M.D., while Mega-Damage fire, plasma, and magic fire (including flaming swords) inflict double damage.[/size']

Vulnerability (complication) to fire. If any PC's have fire attacks, it's realistically Game Over.

R.C.C. Skills: The equivalent of land navigation' date=' swim, track animals, track humanoids, wilderness survival all at 96%, plus detect ambush 70%, climb 70%/60%, prowl 65%[/size']

Skills and enhanced perception, perhaps even Danger Sense.

R.C.C. Combat Attacks Per Melee: Six physical or two magic attacks per melee

A function of Speed in Hero.

Magic: All Wendigo can cast the following spells' date=' provide it has sufficient P.P.E.: Air & Water elemental spells found in [i']RiftsÒ[/i] Conversion Book One, starting on page 62: Howling Wind, Northwind, Northern Lights, Calm Storms (snow, hail, and ice storms only), Freeze Water, Snow Storm, Sheet of Ice, Hail, Shards of Ice, Wall of Ice, Ten Foot Ball of Ice, Encase in Ice, plus the following from RiftsÒ Federation of Magic: Orb of Frost, Wave of Cold, Frostblade, and Ice.

Spells will need to be purchased individually. A variable power pool might merit consideration, but that can be very dificult for a new player to work with. Building each spell individually will take you some time. Is it essential to the character? could you get by with a couple of cold-based powers?

Psionics: None

Enemies: Humans

Allies: None

Value: None

Habitat:

Nothing mechanical here.

In addition to the above, if the creature has claws, a killing attack may be in order. Resistant defenses also merit consideration.

Is there a better way to give him powers related to cold' date=' ice and snow besides spells? It can attack with its claws.[/size']

A lot of his powers work on mimiking environmental hazards. So you need to find out how the original system solves thigns like ice-sheets and if the spell is better or worser than the natural phenomenon.

Than you look how hero makes that, and copy that with a Power.

Examples (reasoning effect from name):

Calm Storms (snow, hail, and ice storms only)

Change environment with long lasting effects, main purpose is to negate the effects of an existing storm. Or maybe a Dispel against the Storm

Freeze Water

Requires more information what game-effect that can have.

Snow Storm

Make a Change Environment power that mimics the effects of a snow storm

Sheet of Ice

I guess it's one of those "make a test or you fall" Area of effect things. Maybe worth a seperate thread or a look in Champiosn Powers.

Hail

A Combiantion of Normal and Cold Damage, maybe only one. Area of Effect.

Shards of Ice

I guess Ranged Killing Attack

Wall of Ice

Barrier, Ice SFX

Ten Foot Ball of Ice

What is that? A Ice based-Fireball? What can it do as game mechanic?

Encase in Ice

Most likely an Entangle, works by encasing the target in ice

Frostblade:

HTH Killing Attack. Maybe with extra Time/Endurance only to activate.

Imunities:

The first level is usually "Life Support, Save Environment". That imunizes for the natural environmental effects (surviving in the arctis) and NND's sometimes are neagted by specific Safe Environments.

But it does not help any bit against Blasts based on Ice/Cold.

In Hero Full Imunity is almost impossible and even if you can, it's increddible expensive. Some ways inlcude:

- the optional 100% Damage reduction from APG 87, limited against Cold SFX only

- A lot of Damage Negation, Limited against Cold SFX only

- Just a lot of (resistant) defenses, Limited against Cold SFX only

Each of them has different Advantages/Drawbacks. Some don't work against Cold based Drains for example, others do against some.

Overall the questions is if your GM even allows absolute imunity and if, how you have to build that/at wich point he thinks your defenses are enough.

I submitted a wendigo character sheet to Digital Hero back when it was in 'print.' I'm afraid I don't know what the exact issue is, but it's a 5e version of the traditional wendigo.

If 98-100lb weight is accurate, a Complication that it takes considerable extra Knockback seems appropriate. If its weight should be commensurate with its size, some Knockback Resistance is mandated.

The Wendigo is more a personification of famine and of the horror of the situation of people having nothing to eat but each other than it is anything else. As such, it was often traditionally described as gaunt and skeletal. I'm surprised the original post did not mention the defining feature of a wendigo, the craving for Human flesh.

Lucius Alexander

House of the Palindromedary

The Wendigo is more a personification of famine and of the horror of the situation of people having nothing to eat but each other than it is anything else. As such, it was often traditionally described as gaunt and skeletal. I'm surprised the original post did not mention the defining feature of a wendigo, the craving for Human flesh.

Lucius Alexander

House of the Palindromedary

You can kill it by pouring hot fat or soup down its throat (that melts the frozen heart.)

You can kill it by pouring hot fat or soup down its throat (that melts the frozen heart.)

Do you know if it was possible to starve one, or if, as a kind of personification of starvation, it was immune to dying of it?

Lucius Alexander

Feed it to a palindromedary

From my article:

It is possible for a human to be transformed into a witiko. Usually, this occurs when one human eats the flesh of another. It is also possible to become a witiko by having dreams of the witiko calling the dreamer’s name, dreaming of being a witiko, being cursed by a shaman, becoming lost in the forest, or voluntarily transformation by a witiko. Usually, the first clue a person is becoming a witiko is their refusal to eat normal food. Excessive vomiting of recently eaten meals is a sure sign of an oncoming witiko transformation. The cure is to pour some sort of hot grease, such as bear fat, deer tallow, or fish oil, down the throat of the victim. If this fails, the victim may be burned or hacked to death.

The cure is to pour some sort of hot grease, such as bear fat, deer tallow, or fish oil, down the throat of the victim.

Was that supposed to kill the afflicted person, or drive the possessing wendigo spirit out?

Lucius Alexander

I said feed it TO a palindromedary, not feed it a palindromedary!

Was that supposed to kill the afflicted person, or drive the possessing wendigo spirit out?

Lucius Alexander

I said feed it TO a palindromedary, not feed it a palindromedary!

Kill. You can't go back once you've become one.

• 2 months later...

What would be the advantages and disadvantage of the following?

Sharp six inches long pointed teeth and three feet long canine fangs line their powerful jaws. The long limbs are very thin and end in large powerful bony feline-like paws instead of hands and feet. Two feet long claws tip their paws.

Teeth like that probably have AP. Two foot claws would probably give +1m reach in HTH combat. It also would have Limited Fine Manipulation as a Physical Complication, as it can't manipulate objects very well.

What would be the advantages and disadvantage of the following?

Sharp six inches long pointed teeth and three feet long canine fangs line their powerful jaws. The long limbs are very thin and end in large powerful bony feline-like paws instead of hands and feet. Two feet long claws tip their paws.

It seems every time I respond to these posts, I say the same thing:

What effects do YOU want them to have? There is no Hero rule to say "Claws up to 1 foot have this effect, while over 1 foot but les than 3 feet will have this effect, and longer claws will that this third effect".

I see "distinctive features - Claws and fangs". With long limbs, perhaps he has some Reach for HTH attacks, including his Claws KA, but not the Teeth KA. With two KA's, I'd want to distinguish them somehow. Perhaps the claws are a two handed strike with Reduced Penetration and some skill levels, while the Bite is less accurate but perhaps advantaged in some way (maybe he has to Grab the target first, and the teeth are then Continuous - clamping down with those strong jaws). I'd probably set both with equal DC's (maybe give the bite a bit more if its use will be heavily restricted.

How many DC's? Depends on the game - probably set the claws near the campaign average and the bite at, or even a bit above, the campaign max. With no campaign parameters, no idea what DC's would be appropriate.

He likely has limited manipulation, as someone suggests above.

I would say that the character in Wendigo form has limited manipulation and greater reach due to the claws. I like the idea of teeth being Armor Piercing. The human form the Wendigo can assume would have most of the skills the character know when it was a human since it would have greater manipulation of things with its hands.

I am not sure how to do the following Would ithe following be based on Presence? I would like to have the Wendigo form when people see it become terrified of it.

I am not sure how to do the following Would ithe following be based on Presence? I would like to have the Wendigo form when people see it become terrified of it.

To what effect? I can see a few approaches, depending on how you want this to play out:

- Distinctive Features - Causes Extreme Reaction - no one will interact with it; people run screaming and call for police/military/Supers aid. This is a Complication, so it will typically not work to the creature's benefit.

- Striking Appearance which will Cause Fear in the typical human being. This enhances its PRE attacks, making it more intimidating and frightening. Couple that with the decision that its presence makes a PRE attack (action that takes no time) all the time, and the typical normal will likely still run screaming. This will become less effective with repeated contact to the creature.

- Mind Control, only to Cause Fear, Area Effect, always on would be the extreme.

I would say that the character in Wendigo form has limited manipulation and greater reach due to the claws. I like the idea of teeth being Armor Piercing. The human form the Wendigo can assume would have most of the skills the character know when it was a human since it would have greater manipulation of things with its hands.

The most straightforward way to represent it, IMO, would be extra Presence only for inducing fear/intimidation -1/2, only in Monstrous form -1/4

• 3 weeks later...

Spells will need to be purchased individually. A variable power pool might merit consideration, but that can be very dificult for a new player to work with. Building each spell individually will take you some time. Is it essential to the character? could you get by with a couple of cold-based powers
I could get by with some cold-based powers.

• 2 weeks later...

The cure is to pour some sort of hot grease' date=' such as bear fat, deer tallow, or fish oil, down the throat of the victim.[/quote']

So the Cannibal Spirit of the North can be defeated by butterscotch. Interesting.

• 3 weeks later...