Growth UOO vs. inanimate others

ned-kogar

Hello.

A growing character wants to use some xp to be able to extend her (free) ability to grow her costume to match her size to be able to grasp inanimate objects when she grows.

The objects will maintain their new size even when released by her, but will return to normal size when she does.

What level of UOO does she require?

Should it be built as a seperate power, or as advantages on her standard growth?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Ned

Re: Growth UOO vs. inanimate others

I'd build it as a separate cosmetic Transform.

Then later on, depending on the amount of Growth the character has, a laundry basket full of clothes could turn into a nearly 'Entangle' worthy attack as a multipower slot.

The question is mostly:

What will be the ingame effect of growing these things? Useability as weapons (heavy object, entangle, etc.)?

Using Growth UAA is a very flunky way (like every Body Affecting Power, UAA) so consider if you can do it with Transform or make it the SFX for an attack.

Can she let this items grow only while activating to power, or can she just grab something, superzise it and throw it anytime?

Good thinking, all. Thanks.

We'll go for a Minor Transform - this allows some additional Def to be added, improving an object's utility as both weapon and defensive cover, but not so much as if they were built as a Blast, HA or Barrier - they'll still fall within the rules for Breaking Things.

She can only grow them as she grows, so I'll have the player look at the various linked options.

Cheers,

Ned

We'll go for a Minor Transform - this allows some additional Def to be added' date=' improving an object's utility as both weapon and defensive cover, but not so much as if they were built as a Blast, HA or Barrier - they'll still fall within the rules for Breaking Things.[/quote']

When this is only to increase DEF, consider using Aid instead of transform.

I am not so certain if you use 5E or 6E (Def is a 5E thing), but in 6E a Trigger can be used to "autoimprove" the Items on Grabbing/Lifting them.

Well, it's primarily increasing an object's size - rendering eg. a pistol too huge to be used, or upsizing a tyre so that it can block an alleyway... but the 'up to 6 total points of normal or resistant defence' of Minor Transform seem a good stat to base the more abstract qualities around.

I'm using 6E. I guess I should have pluralized Def...

Cheers,

Ned

Well' date=' it's primarily increasing an object's size - rendering eg. a pistol too huge to be used, or upsizing a tyre so that it can block an alleyway... but the 'up to 6 total points of normal or resistant defence' of Minor Transform seem a good stat to base the more abstract qualities around. [/quote']

The "size increase for the Pistol" would be the SFX of a Dispel.

The "block alley with tire" the SFX of a barrier.

Consider using a VPP with Limited SFX (only things you could acomplish by making inanimate thigns larger).

The "size increase for the Pistol" would be the SFX of a Dispel.

The "block alley with tire" the SFX of a barrier.

Consider using a VPP with Limited SFX (only things you could acomplish by making inanimate thigns larger).

Thanks for your thoughts, but I disagree. The power intentionally lacks the utility of those powers, being much more limited in its use - both in terms of the in-game effect, consistency of effect and the extent to which it will see use - it really is just a small 'colour' power being bought with xp by a Growth-based Brick. A brick hefting a car into an alley to block it wouldn't require barrier (at least, not in our game) - the truck requires phases to get into position, lacks the solidity of a Barrier, might contain problematic passengers, is dependent on a truck being present, etc. This power is much more of that nature: she'll just occasionally make a few more big things to make use of - with the odd handy side effect, and odd complication.

If this were the primary power of a character whose whole MO was littering the battlefield with obstacles, causing buildings to collapse through growing their support struts and entangling opponents in their own enlarged costumes, I reckon I'd be looking at your VPP, though, so thanks.

Cheers,

Ned