Psychokinetic Controls

phoenix240

Re: Psychokinetic Controls

Another idea would be to add EGO Minimums (inspired by STR mins for weapons) to the overall cost of alien tech/vehicles. This would thus make a huge leap of logic about the relation between EGO & "psionics". However, it would also add new point-breaks to EGO.

So aliens then are merely missing the proper Skills required to operate terrestrial tech. In contrast, 'most' Earthlings literally lack the self-cultivation (i.e., raw EGO) to operate alien tech.

This method, to my mind, matches how alien tech worked in Forbidden Planet (although INT-Mins may have been stressed more in the movie, itself).

~ Mister E ("We have ways of making you think.")

Re: Psychokinetic Controls

That is an interesting thought. But in my concept there are controls' date=' they're just not ones that can be manipulated with physical contact. The Gray "technology" is based on use of naturally occurring crystals that conduct, amplify and alter psionic energy, the psychokinetic equivalent of tools and such. They actually have a great deal of trouble grasping the concept of human type tools and technology. It fascinates them though and they collect it trying to figure out how it works (Aduction stories often describe the ships as littered or filled with bits of machines and other junk so I thought I should come up with explanation). They get very simple things (levers, door knobs, etc) but computers and other tech are somewhat baffling. The idea of using an "artificial thinking device" (a computer) is actually somewhat embarrassing. They pride themselves on mental acuity and power. Its similar to how a human might feel about needing a prosthesis (or a marital aid).[/quote']

In my sword & planet campaign, where psionic technology is ubiquitous, everyone can use psycho-tech unless they pick up a Phys Lim called, "Psycho-Technologically Dead," a severe handicap.