Can a vehicle w/ multiple weapons fire them at 1 time w/1 operator

Beazulbob

I couldn't locate this upon my last go through, so I thought I'd mine those of this site for answers. If I buy a vehicle with multiple weapons, can I drive and shoot them all, only 1, 1 per operator, etc. I doubled the number of weapons with the 5 pts for second gun, but I'm not sure I can use it. :ugly:

Re: Can a vehicle w/ multiple weapons fire them at 1 time w/1 operator

Yes, you can (assuming the weapons don't specifically have a crew requirement), although IIRC the operator will be subject to the normal action limits. So for example, for a vehicle with two weapons:

Full Crew of 3: Take a full move, fire both weapons at no penalty.

Single Person: Fire both weapons, but it counts as a Multiple Attack (-2 to hit, and you need Rapid Autofire to also move while doing so).

In 6E, there's also the Combined Attack: using two or more similar powers simultaneously against the same target. This is considered to be a type of strike; no OCV penalty, half a phase, no halving of DCV. (HS6E, vol2, p74.)

This is highly useful for single-man attack craft with lots of similar forward-facing weapons. (Such as 1-man WWII fighter planes w/6 machine guns. Do you really think those pilots took a -10 OCV penalty every time they fired? They'd never hit anything....)

Ok, how about in a situation where the weapons are linked to fire together?

render2ly4.jpg

That just one weapon. Give it 5-15 aditional Active Points for the double barrel. Maybe more, but apply reduced peentration (two projectiles have to work against armor

seperately).

Or maby +OCV or Area of Effect for having a literal "Storm of Bullets", but lacking the precision of single fire.

In 6E' date=' there's also the [i']Combined Attack[/i]: using two or more similar powers simultaneously against the same target. This is considered to be a type of strike; no OCV penalty, half a phase, no halving of DCV. (HS6E, vol2, p74.)

I think it should still be considered closer to Multiple attack regarding most of the other penalties (since it is not limited to "similar" powers):

What CSL you can use, disadvantages for combining Mental or Area of effect Attacks with normal attacks, etc...

And a lot of GM's are reluctant to use it.

This is highly useful for single-man attack craft with lots of similar forward-facing weapons. (Such as 1-man WWII fighter planes w/6 machine guns. Do you really think those pilots took a -10 OCV penalty every time they fired? They'd never hit anything....)

If you can't direct/fire the barrels seperately and they don't have different forms of amunitions, this is just one single weapon with a lot of barrels. The same way a 6-Barrel Minigun or 2 barelled Shotgun is just one weapon.

But, firing MG's and droping bombs/using rockets, that are two different weapons and would require Multiple Attack.

Regarding driving and firing:

There are special rules for vehicles. You can only change the Speed and direction of the vehicle in phases where both you and the Vehicle have phases (you may have to hold or abort), but overall there is nothing preventing you from driving a Ferrari at maximum NCM and firing your gun (except for the danger to hit anything...).

Note that "attacking with a Vehicle" only covers Move Throughs, using the guns of a vehicle has nothign to do with it (and mostly the driver won't have the possibility to use the weapon anyway)

Hmmm. I like the example of the plane w/ multiple machine guns. The pilot is firing while flying, but things are simplified in that he can only fire in a straight row (he must aim the plane at his targets). Perhaps direct fire weapons that the pilot can fire should be limited to facing line of hexes only.

Bombs are simple in that they target directly below.

Rockets are written up either as vehicles or as arc limited & time delay in the ultimate vehicle (pg 131).

Now, when the plane buys a machine gun, then spends 15 pts to make it 8 machine guns - what does he get to roll to hit/dmg? 8 attacks is too powerful, but the opposite is making it meaninless by only allowing a single autofire attack (except for having replacements for destroyed foci).

ow' date=' when the plane buys a machine gun, then spends 15 pts to make it 8 machine guns - what does he get to roll to hit/dmg? 8 attacks is too powerful, but the opposite is making it meaninless by only allowing a single autofire attack (except for having replacements for destroyed foci).[/quote']

When he buys 8 machine guns, he has 8 machine guns. He may conciveably make a combined attack (one Roll, Roll 8 times the damage per hit and apply the defenses seperately) ausming they are designed to be operateed by one person simulatniously and the driver in general (both decision that have to be made while creating it). That is all he paid for and all he gets (unless you take Combat Piloting as a sort of Power Roll or give him "badass Piloting" as Power Skill; or if he buys naked Advantages; then he could do more).

When you want to make a Plane with 8 linked guns and they have different ways to use them, you make 1 Piece of Multipower Equipment named "8 Barreled MG". It will have charges, but each of them represents one attack action that can literally burn dozen of bullets (I am carrying 10.000 bullets but fire 100 per attack action, so this amounts to 100 Charges).

The Multipower includes a straight RKA (short burst), a Cone shaped Area of effect attack (Simulating that you just fill an area with bulletts with little aim. It is hard not to be hit, but it's not concetrated enough to cause serious damage) and maybe even an Autofire Attack or Line Area of Effect (for things like "drawing a line of fire on the ground" with the chance to hit multiple targets), ... and whatever else you think the SFX of having a 8 linked MG's would fit.