Exploding Fists of Fury

fbdaury

Ok, I actually know pretty much how I'm going to build this power but there is one thing I cannot decide- the character surronds his hands with seething fields of destructive energy (ugly amounts of hka) but he has a drawback- the attack can only be usd at full power, meaning that if he hits someone with the attack that isn't extremely damage resistant, all that will be left is a splatter. I know with ranged attacks this is just one part of the Beam limitation but that has always seemed weird- the inability to use an attack at less than full effect or pull punch with said power seems to me like it should be its own lim.

So, has this individual limitation been applied to any Hero book writeups because off the top of my head I cannot remember it and I don't know where to look to find it- or would that be more of a physical disadvantage on a character than a limitation on a power?

I'm sick and drawing a blank here, any help would be appreciated.

Re: Exploding Fists of Fury

I'd just call it 'Full Power Only', at a -0 or perhaps -1/4 depending on how soft targets tended to be in the game and how big a problem said splattering will be for the PC, and whether or not the PC has other offensive options. In most cases, 'Full Power Only' isn't much of a limitation because you almost always hit something as hard as you can. If the PC also has Normal attacks or NNDs and such (especially if he can pull them), having to use the HKA at full power isn't much of a drawback because he can always just choose not to use it or only use it on objects. If the HKA is his only real attack option, it could be worth a -1/4 assuming he has reason not to want to kill his foes (Code vs Killing, member of an organization that frowns on such, legal issues, so forth).

Re: Exploding Fists of Fury

I know with ranged attacks this is just one part of the Beam limitation but that has always seemed weird- the inability to use an attack at less than full effect or pull punch with said power seems to me like it should be its own lim.

Well, you can Pull a Power with Beam Limitiation. You could fire sombody in the Arm or hand so no mayor arteries are hit but it makes little sense since KA are built to do maximun Body damage. That is their purpose in game. (So building a HKA only to Pull the punches is a bad idea. KA's still have value against robots, barriers, entangles and the like).

6E1 145 has:

"Cannot Be used With [specific Combat maneuver] (-¼ or -½)", so it could be worth a -1/4. But overall I would follow CrosshairCollie with his -0 Limitation.