Pay for 2, get 4.000

Christopher

I different post Lucius pointed out to me that you can use the 5-point Doubling Rule (6E2 181) on any piece of equipment - inlcuding Powers/Frameworks bought with a Focus in Superheroic Games (I was not aware of it before).

So here are my questions:

When have you ever used this Rule?

What is the hightest amount of Doublings/total number you ever bought or used?

Did a player ever asked for "to many" doublings?

Buy 3, get 1 Free

Notable uses in characters I've designed:

I was going to run a couple of robot characters (a robot with a robot sidekick) with Automaton Powers. Since the Takes No STUN Power means losing a function every single time you take BODy damage I wanted some redundant systems. This was years ago, but you can probably still find where I asked Steve Long about it, and he said it was okay to use the +5 rule to have backups for things like a robot's armor and Life Support. Obviously you can't STACK defenses bought this way any more than you can buy a 6d6 Blast and spend +5 and say you have a 12d6 Blast now(!) but it meant the robot could take a hit to the armor and still have armor.

There was another robot character, this one a true automaton and not a playable character, that used two Powers bought as Obvious Accessible Focus: One a weapon, and one a force field generator. I don't remember why I designed a force field as an Accessible Focus but I remember doing so....anyway, since these items could be easily taken away, I spent enough to have 8 of each. Technically, as I understand it, it could have used all 8 weapons at once (it had the limbs for it) for one huge Multiple Attack, but I had no such intention. That wasn't the purpose; again, they were replacements because I expected it to be repeatedly disarmed.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary spends +30 pts to have 64 Lucius Alexanders

Re: Pay for 2, get 4.000

I only use the doubling rule on vehicles and bases and such, so far.

In my heroic games, where equipment is 'free', if a character has 2 guns, that is a 2-shot autofire, or a multi-attack, etc. In superheroic games, they buy the power as having multiple charges or 2-shot autofire or whatever to represent having more than one.

I don't usually allow it, except for simple things like getting multiple weapons. Even then I monitor it closely, especially once Charges are in play.

The old "Rings of Power" trick demonstrates why allowing this with additive powers and attributes can be a very bad idea...

My interpretation of getting "double" the Framework Foci for +5 points is that you don't really get two instances of the power/framework to use independently; you simply get back-up devices that'll work if you lose your primary one. I would be pretty quick to require that be an Inaccessible Focus if you bought too many and carried them around with you (as opposed to keeping the spare back in your base, vehicle, home, or whatever). I'd probably think long and hard before I let the whole team have a fleet of uber-expensive vehicles for the price of yours plus a few 5-point Adders as well, so I'd be thinking about who can use the vehicles and when and what "ownership" means.