A Crisis of Faith...

Yamo

Re: A Crisis of Faith...

Mudpyr8,

Thanks for the links, I had heard savage worlds mentioned but pretty much dismissed it as another barely rules game. Won't be replacing HERO but it looks worth looking into for certain games (I think it looks good for Weird War or All Flesh Must Be Eaten). Tried finding it today without luck but from the freebee posted I think I'm willing to risk buying it online (normally I like to flip though an unknown game before buying).

See Yamo, its ok, no one will judge....

I wonder where that mob is going with all those torches....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You couldn't download the Test Drive from http://www.greatwhitegames.com/Downloads/index.htm?

The revised rules + Necessary Evil are out today (pdf and print). Yay!

I also own AFMBE (All Flesh...). It's good, and unisystem is a solid system. I definitely want to give Dungeons and Zombies a look (I like fantasy), but I really prefer the way Savage plays over Unisystem. Nice thing is that Unisystem translates nearly effortlessly to Savage, so things like Buffy are totally doable. Not HERO, but a fistfull of Heroclix + SW = fast super smackdown.

e) No tactical movement. Not only do I not need minatures or a battlemat' date=' the game seems to actually run better without them.[/quote']

I'm surprised you feel you need miniatures and a battlemat to play HERO. It's perfectly playable without them! Granted you have to ignore most of the movement rules, but that isn't a problem IMO. In fact if you want to take a rules lite approach you can ignore almost all of HERO's combat rules, except for attack rules and damage, and it still works perfectly fine. I know, I've tried it. This was one thing that actually impressed me about HERO System as compared to GURPS, which starts to fall over in interesting but disastrous ways if you ignore too many of the details of the combat rules.

Actually yes I could download the test drive, it looks interesting. But I meant I couldn't find the real thing at any of my local shops. After reading the website today though I see they are releasing a revised version which is probably why nobody had it, its been out of print and the new version is not out yet. Debating on whether its worth $10 to have a pdf version instead of an actual print run. I prefer actual published books but it would make it easier to copy bits for cheat sheets and such with a pdf. Since I spent about $150 on HERO and GURPS stuff today I figure maybe I better wait until next month anyway.

All of the crunchy bits that you want to print out are posted in pdf already. If you like print books, they are nicely done. I'm going to pick up the revised as soon as it is out.

The test drive is very complete and gives you an excellent overview of the game. We actually played for a few months using only that before the original was released.