Who needs walls?

Pteryx

Say you've got a base that's set in a cliff. To get through the front face you just need to get through a relatively normal stone wall (assuming you couldn't just break down the door or teleport inside), but to get through any other face you need to bore through a few hexes of solid stone. How should a base like this be dealt with, ruleswise? -- Pteryx

I too would use "underground" to simulate this, though some sort of mild internal protection to keep people like The Amazing Mole Man and Joe Teleporter out might be a good idea. One annoying option is to build the base with a low-level force field and some sort of adder to keep the teleporters out. The tunneler could still tunnel to the base and shoot it down, but its better than nothing and would (presumably) set some alarms off.

Even better: what if the base was a pocket dimension, or anomoly in the time space continuum. I had a character whose base was the year -1,700 (in Sumeria).

Originally posted by D-Man

Even better: what if the base was a pocket dimension, or anomoly in the time space continuum. I had a character whose base was the year -1,700 (in Sumeria).

Funny you should mention that... the base I'm trying to reproduce in HERO is based in a scarcely-populated alternate reality. (Unfortunately for the inhabitants, it's not planeshift-proof, and planeshifting was almost common in this game.) So that's one of two reasons why I'm not so sure about taking Underground -- I think it already qualifies for "other dimension", and somehow suspect the location points are meant to be mutually exclusive. Am I right?

Second, there's the fact that "Underground" suggests to me better security than this base gets from its location. The ceiling only has about a half-hex of soil atop it, the front face of the base is merely a thick stone wall (though the base would have 8- Concealment, just in case you miss the door in the cliff face that's the only indication of a base being there and the only legitimate entrance), and it's been shown that there's a network of tunnels directly underneath the base too... that leaves the left, right, and back walls, and somehow I'm not so sure about the back one. -- Pteryx

(P.S.: Whee! I'm competent! ;) )

Build a Continuous Line Suppress vs Tunneling and overlap it with the wall in quesion you want to keep people from drilling in to.

Alternately work out a schema w/ your GM where by you can shift some of the DEF and/or BODY of the other walls to the back wall for no points cost.

Personally, I wouldnt worry about it overly much, as from what you are saying the bases security primarly stems from its remoteness and isnt exactly an impregnable fortress anyway.

Yes, but by that point, you've tripped off the base's "Sense Tunnelling, Ranged, Targeting, Discriminatory, +ungodly Telescopic", and the entire hero team is waiting for you...

... I mean, who builds an underground base and /doesn't/ put in a seismograph network?

Failing that, just pay the big points for Unobtainium walls, and watch the tunnellers cuss when they run into 24 DEF Hardened Affects Teleporters Affects Desolid.

Originally posted by Chuckg

Yes, but by that point, you've tripped off the base's "Sense Tunnelling, Ranged, Targeting, Discriminatory, +ungodly Telescopic", and the entire hero team is waiting for you...

... I mean, who builds an underground base and /doesn't/ put in a seismograph network?

Failing that, just pay the big points for Unobtainium walls, and watch the tunnellers cuss when they run into 24 DEF Hardened Affects Teleporters Affects Desolid.

Or set off a 1 PT computer program:

If force field deactivates sound alarm and pinpoint location