The War in Lady Kuo's Basement

Michael Hopcroft

I had a weird thought and I'm trying to figure out what genre it fits best in.

Basically it involves a wealthy family who have a pocket dimension in their basement. They may or may not know it. Within that dimension some of the inhabitants are trying to get into our dimension with hostile intent. To stop them it become necessary to venture into the pocket dimension yourself.

Complicating matters is the matriarch of the family, who when she finds out about the pocket dimension will try to use the knowledge to her advantage. She is a veteran power player in the community with a lot of enemies, that she would be very happy to find a way to "inconvenience". Living with her are her daughter and son-in-law who are not involved in the mother's plotting and are viewed as disposable pawns.

How would you map this out and how do you see it playing?

Re: The War in Lady Kuo's Basement

Are we talking game scenario or fiction?

I believe the genre is Urban Fantasy. For some reason I'm seeing a cat. For a twist, maybe the hostiles are mouse sized. First the family becomes aware of the basement invasion is the cat starts bringing them dead lizards. "Um, why did someone put clothes on the lizards? And make them tiny little working ray guns?" Or maybe tell the story from the cat's Point of View, he's been fighting the invasion by himself for weeks before the family notices.

Are we talking game scenario or fiction?

I believe the genre is Urban Fantasy. For some reason I'm seeing a cat. For a twist, maybe the hostiles are mouse sized. First the family becomes aware of the basement invasion is the cat starts bringing them dead lizards. "Um, why did someone put clothes on the lizards? And make them tiny little working ray guns?" Or maybe tell the story from the cat's Point of View, he's been fighting the invasion by himself for weeks before the family notices.

"I dislike geckos in the best of times, but this one was sounding an alarm."

Somes questions:

Are all the beings in the Pocket Dimension aware of the outside world?

How are the intents of the other factions? How do they regard the "outside" and beings from there?

Just what level of technology or magic do the different factions have? Could they even have different specialties (one tech faction, one magic faction....)?

Is there a size transition when leaving or entering the PD? Become the Inhabitants normal size in our world, or are the characters giant size in there too? (consider Guliver's Travels as source for that).