Multipower slot reserve limitations

william_nova

Let's say I've got a multipower with a Limitation on the reserve. I also put the exact same Limitation on each slot in that multipower. Do I have to remove the limitation on the reserve before I can remove any of the slot limitations? Given that they are all the same limitation in this example, I would think the answer is yes. Is this correct?

Re: Multipower slot reserve limitations

Yes. Limitations on the multipower, supersede the limitations on the individual slots.

So having the same limitation on the multipower and on an individual slot does not give you the cost reduction twice, instead the one on the slot will be "removed/replaced" by the one on the multipower.

Of course you can add similar Limitations/Limitations with multiple levels, for example:

40 Multipower, 60-point-Reserve, (all slots increased Endurance Cost at -1/2 level; -1/2)

6f 12d6 Blast, 60 AP, 60 Real cost

4f 4d6 Ranged Killing Attack, Increased END (-1/2, for a total of 3 times End cost), 60 AP, 40 Real Cost

the most classical example is a Multipiwer with charges (charges powermodifier on the Reserve) and somes slots have the "Requires Multiple Charges" Limitation (6E1 371).

Of course you can add similar Limitations/Limitations with multiple levels, for example:

40 Multipower, 60-point-Reserve, (all slots increased Endurance Cost at -1/2 level; -1/2)

6f 12d6 Blast, 60 AP, 60 Real cost

4f 4d6 Ranged Killing Attack, Increased END (-1/2, for a total of 3 times End cost), 60 AP, 40 Real Cost

Assuming I have properly intuited your intention, this would price out as follows:

4f 12d6 Blast, Increased END Cost (-1/2 level) 60 AP, 40 Real cost

3f 4d6 Ranged Killing Attack, Increased END (-1 level) 60 AP, 30 Real Cost

The slots get the point reduction from limitations whether or not the pool cost is also reduced.

So having the same limitation on the multipower and on an individual slot does not give you the cost reduction twice' date=' instead the one on the slot will be "removed/replaced" by the one on the multipower.[/quote']

The slots get the point reduction from limitations whether or not the pool cost is also reduced.

Okay, now I was so confused I had to read the rules again. Short answer is, there are three ways to apply a Limiation to a Multipower:

Limitations only on one Slot:

Only reduce the cost of the Slot, before dividing it by 5 or 10.

Limitations only on the Reserve:

mostly affect how the Multipower selection can be changed (like Extra Time or Skill roll to switch slots). They only reduce the reserve cost. Despite being one set of charges with one charge for every slot used, the Charges limitation Value only applies to entire the reserve.

Limitations on the Reserve and the Slot

For this they must be identical on each Slot in the entire Multipower. Apllying similar but not quite equall Limitations under this rule is allowed/forbidden. It's forbidden for my above construct and generally differnet "levels" of a limitation. But allowed for things Like the OIF Gunbelt (-1/2 on the Reserve) with a lot of OAF Guns on it(-1 for every slot).

So you are rightfully confused if you do not know how do deal with it and better give us the example of the multipower in question, Willian Nova.

Okay, now I was so confused I had to read the rules again. Short answer is, there are three ways to apply a Limiation to a Multipower:

Limitations only on one Slot:

Only reduce the cost of the Slot, before dividing it by 5 or 10.

Limitations only on the Reserve:

mostly affect how the Multipower selection can be changed (like Extra Time or Skill roll to switch slots). They only reduce the reserve cost. Despite being one set of charges with one charge for every slot used, the Charges limitation Value only applies to entire the reserve.

Limitations on the Reserve and the Slot

For this they must be identical on each Slot in the entire Multipower. Apllying similar but not quite equall Limitations under this rule is allowed/forbidden. It's forbidden for my above construct and generally differnet "levels" of a limitation. But allowed for things Like the OIF Gunbelt (-1/2 on the Reserve) with a lot of OAF Guns on it(-1 for every slot).

So you are rightfully confused if you do not know how do deal with it and better give us the example of the multipower in question, Willian Nova.

Believe it or not, the ways to use Limitations on a Multipower was one of the few things I understood pretty readily on first reading it; don't ask me how, I must have eaten an extra portion of Fruity Oaty Bars that day. :P

I was mostly just double-checking to see if I was interpreting it right, albeit in a real vague way.

As for the multipower in question, on the character I'm playing (my first!) I built a series of effect related powers (blast, entangle, teleport, HKA) with identical Increased END amounts on both the reserve and all the slots. I was trying to model the "getting the hang of it" situation as Hugh Neilson & Ice9 both mentioned in another thread; however, seeing as how costly it will be to rework this, it was probably not the best way to go about it, at least for my concept.

As I now see it, limiting the reserve and the slots in such a massive way could be a cool way to show on paper just how exhausting a certain power set could be to a hero, like Molly Hayes in Marvel's Runaways book. Also, since the cost is so high to rework it, as a player you're pretty much saying "this is never going to change" unless as a story item all your character's will is focused on overcoming it.

I think perhaps from a metagame standpoint a case could be made for showing off how costly/inefficient/whatever certain powers could be vs. others by using this kind of limit. If I've got a 10d6 blast that costs me 15 or 20 END and someone else has a similar 10d6 for the standard 5 END, I've likely got a larger END and/or REC pool if I'm fighting for similar lengths.

Again, since this is most likely just viewable from a "looking at the sheet" perspective, this probably falls under just metagame; unless your campaign is running some comparative testing on the 'supes of your world, like the Champions' DoD Superhuman Survey project. :eg:

Believe it or not' date=' the ways to use Limitations on a Multipower was one of the few things I understood pretty readily on first reading it; don't ask me how, I must have eaten an extra portion of Fruity Oaty Bars that day. :P[/quote']

Then at least one of us does :)

As for the multipower in question' date=' on the character I'm playing (my first!) I built a series of effect related powers (blast, entangle, teleport, HKA) with identical Increased END amounts on both the reserve and all the slots. I was trying to model the "getting the hang of it" situation as Hugh Neilson & Ice9 both mentioned in another thread; however, seeing as how costly it will be to rework this, it was probably not the best way to go about it, at least for my concept.[/quote']

I think you could do it step by step, if your GM allowsy you to first "bank" XP/Real Points into Rec and Endurance, that you late sell back when need the points to buy off the Increased Endurance.

If a character has 40 END, 10 Rec and normal End cost or 80 END, 20 REC with double Endurance is pretty much equal(aside from your STUN Recovery beign higher and that all normal END things are a lot easier).

Also you could first buy off the Limitation from the reserve and then go thorugh the slots "one at a time". If I guess right it's a 50 Reserve Multipower, so it should be 17 real Points to buy it off. Or maybe replace it with something that does not needs to affect all the Slots (like a "only two change slots" limitation). Perhaps an rather easy skill roll (somthign worth -1/4).

Maybe the GM allows "5 to be even" and allwos you to take a "1.5 times Endurance Cost" limitation for -1/4, so you can buy it down in two small steps.