Mutant Inventor with Technopathy

TheNaga

Re: Mutant Inventor with Technopathy

Right now he is suppose to be an inventor with a computer-like brain and cyberpathy/technopathy powers who wears a suit of armor made from the 23rd century. I would like the free points that getting rid of cyberpathy would give back but it changes the character to where the character is not how I wanted him to be in the first place. I am stuck what to do so I can have enough points to make this PC. I have thought about for one making the points 350 instead of 300.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would he be like is a posthuman? Also what would be some original reasons to travel back to our time time period? Right now he would not be playable unless evil characters are allowed.

What do can I do to this character's sheet so he can have weapons built into his armor and still be a technopathy? What could i look for some ideas in making his armor?

How would he be played out if he has a clinical, logical mind and he has a lack of interest in the people around him?

• 4 weeks later...

What should I do to give the armor weapons? Besides the skills that would help him build his armor what other skills should he have?

How would work the fact his armor is neuro-kinetic, meaning it responds to his subconscious thoughts?

How do i do his characteristics right now. His INT is 27. He is the smartest being on Earth in 23rd century, I would like him to be considered the smart person ever if I can work it out He spends more time around technology then he does humans. Would you see him having a STR of 15?

How Smart would he if if he ended up with an INT total of 42? I would like at some how to give +15 to INT due to a computer-like mind.

What can I look at to help me in describing his armor?

Would he need Extraordinary mathematical abilities?

Would you think he might see the 21ts century as very primitive? In the 23rd century mankind has started its journey to spread to the stars. Technological advancement meant they could populate the moon and have begun to populate Mars after it had become habitable.

What would get about him from the following?

Weaknesses:

His arrogance

His clinical, logical mind.

His lack of interest in the people around him

His over eagerness to prove his genius.

What should I do to give the armor weapons? Besides the skills that would help him build his armor what other skills should he have?

Maybe his weaponry can have Time Manipulation as a sfx? Timelapse and Capt. Chronos provide some examples.

How would work the fact his armor is neuro-kinetic, meaning it responds to his subconscious thoughts?

That's a sfx that could by represented by a number of things; perhaps a bonus to Dexterity, Speed and/or CV with the armor as a foci.

How do i do his characteristics right now. His INT is 27. He is the smartest being on Earth in 23rd century, I would like him to be considered the smart person ever if I can work it out He spends more time around technology then he does humans. Would you see him having a STR of 15?

How Smart would he if if he ended up with an INT total of 42? I would like at some how to give +15 to INT due to a computer-like mind.

IIRC, 35 is as high as human's Int can be and have them still be considered human in the Champions Universe setting so 42 would be quite high. The "computer like brain" would be a sfx.

Would he need Extraordinary mathematical abilities?

Lightning Calculator?

Would you think he might see the 21ts century as very primitive? In the 23rd century mankind has started its journey to spread to the stars. Technological advancement meant they could populate the moon and have begun to populate Mars after it had become habitable.

What would get about him from the following?

Weaknesses:

His arrogance

His clinical, logical mind.

His lack of interest in the people around him

His over eagerness to prove his genius.

Most of the above are role playing quesrtions that would be better answered by you and your GM. The arrogance and other personality traits might make good Psychological Complications though.

I would like him to be special when it comes to his intelligence.

What changes do I need to make to his sheet below so I can give his armor at least one weapon built into the armor? Also what change to I need to make to his characteristics?

Characteristics:

15 STR

17 DEX

27 INT

10 CON

10 EGO

10 PRE

3 OCV

3 DCV

3 OMCV

3 DMCV

2 SPD

2 PD

2 ED

4 REC

20 END

10 BODY

20 STUN

Skills

15 Inventor 20-

10 Combat Training: +2 with Armor Systems

13 Computer Programming 19-

11 Mechanics 18-

11 Electronics 18-

7 Science Skill: Metallurgy 16-

11 Tactics 18-

8 WF: Beam Weapons, Energy Weapons, Electric Whip, Energy Blades, Inertial Gloves, Stun Rods

7 PS: Scientist 16-

5 Computer-Like Memory: Eidetic Memory

3 Calculator-Like Brain: Lightning Calculator

6 Text Scanning: Speed Reading (x100)

29 Technopathy: Mind Control 7d6 (Machine class of minds), Telepathic (+1/4) (44 Active Points); Limited Class Of Minds [subset of a class] (-1/2)

23 Telepathy 7d6 (Machine class of minds) (35 Active Points); Limited Class Of Minds [subset of a class] (-1/2)

Armor Core Systems

17 +25 STR (25 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)

9 +7 DEX (14 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)

7 +11 CON (11 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)

7 +2 OCV (10 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)

17 +5 DCV (25 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)

4 +6 BODY (6 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)

Armor Helmet Systems

15 Helmet Radio Systems: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group), Discriminatory

10 Air Filters Built into Helmet: Life Support (Immunity All terrestrial poisons; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases)

7 Breathing Systems: Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing) (10 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)

13 Object Tracking System: Radar (Radio Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) (20 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)

8 Sonic Filtration: Hearing Group Flash Defense (12 points) (12 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)

10 Hardened Systems Built into Armor: Power Defense (10 points), Conditional Power Electro-Magnetic Attacks Only (-0)

8 Flash Protection Built into Helmet: Sight Group Flash Defense (8 points)

8 Image Enhancement Built into Helmet: Nightvision, Telescopic: +6

Total: 377

I would like him to be special when it comes to his intelligence.

What changes do I need to make to his sheet below so I can give his armor at least one weapon built into the armor? Also what change to I need to make to his characteristics?

Step 1 - ask yourself what the character will do when denied his gadgets and gear. If your answer is "I would be really unhappy/useless if the GM did this", maybe you need to build up the base character - the Focus limitation is geared to say "sometimes I will not have access to these powers".

Characteristics:

15 STR

17 DEX

27 INT

Why not bump DEX and INT a point each to get a better characteristic roll?

10 CON

10 EGO

10 PRE

He'll spend a lot of phases being presence attacked and Stunned with those stats.

3 OCV

3 DCV

3 OMCV

3 DMCV

He can't hit much, or avoid being hit.

2 SPD

2 PD

2 ED

4 REC

20 END

10 BODY

20 STUN

Basically, if not armored, he's dead in combat.

Skills

15 Inventor 20-

10 Combat Training: +2 with Armor Systems

13 Computer Programming 19-

11 Mechanics 18-

11 Electronics 18-

7 Science Skill: Metallurgy 16-

11 Tactics 18-

Base skills and some levels with INT skills would probably be more cost-effective. As would having that base roll be 15- instead of 14-.

8 WF: Beam Weapons, Energy Weapons, Electric Whip, Energy Blades, Inertial Gloves, Stun Rods

7 PS: Scientist 16-

Generally, WF aren't very useful unless you expect to run into a lot of weapons of opportunity.

5 Computer-Like Memory: Eidetic Memory

3 Calculator-Like Brain: Lightning Calculator

6 Text Scanning: Speed Reading (x100)

29 Technopathy: Mind Control 7d6 (Machine class of minds), Telepathic (+1/4) (44 Active Points); Limited Class Of Minds [subset of a class] (-1/2)

23 Telepathy 7d6 (Machine class of minds) (35 Active Points); Limited Class Of Minds [subset of a class] (-1/2)

I'm not sure you'll get very far with 7d6 - what kind of effects are you thinking he will achieve?

Armor Core Systems

17 +25 STR (25 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)

9 +7 DEX (14 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)

7 +11 CON (11 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)

7 +2 OCV (10 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)

17 +5 DCV (25 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)

4 +6 BODY (6 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)

With the armor, STR is a secondary attack, he's got a pretty solid DEX, still a fairly low CON, poor OCV and maybe average DCV.

Armor Helmet Systems

15 Helmet Radio Systems: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group), Discriminatory

10 Air Filters Built into Helmet: Life Support (Immunity All terrestrial poisons; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases)

7 Breathing Systems: Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing) (10 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)

13 Object Tracking System: Radar (Radio Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) (20 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)

8 Sonic Filtration: Hearing Group Flash Defense (12 points) (12 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2)

10 Hardened Systems Built into Armor: Power Defense (10 points), Conditional Power Electro-Magnetic Attacks Only (-0)

8 Flash Protection Built into Helmet: Sight Group Flash Defense (8 points)

8 Image Enhancement Built into Helmet: Nightvision, Telescopic: +6

Total: 377

No extra defenses, I see. His own 8d6 STR (a lightweight attack in most Supers games) will punch 6 BOD and 26 STUN past his defenses on an average roll.

I think we're missing something - I don't count 377 points.

If his armor was ever some how stolen he would do what ever he could to get it back. I see his gadgets as part of him and he would be at a loss with out them. I know that he will not be superhuman in his characteristics except for his INT. So how do I fix his characteristics then? Would you see him every spending any time to stay physical fit?

What should fix about his armor? I would like him to have some sort of energy weapon built into his armor.

His mutant powers besides his intelligence are his cyberpathic abilities. They are part of why he is good at working with machines.

If his armor was ever some how stolen he would do what ever he could to get it back.

It's a focus, so by the books he would either recover it or he would build, or otherwise obtain, a replacement. But it's also a limitation, meaning there will be times he is without it. When you write OIF on the sheet, you tell the GM "my character should sometimes have to operate without these abilities". At that point, he's working with his natural abilities only. That's why the limitation provides a point savings. Some armor-centric characters take "only in alternate ID" rather than a focus to show that the armor should only rarely be unavailable (about as often as Tony Stark has to make do without his armor).

I know that he will not be superhuman in his characteristics except for his INT. So how do I fix his characteristics then? Would you see him every spending any time to stay physical fit?

How I would see him is irrelevant. It's how YOU would see him that matters. But be aware that those limitations mean the character WILL sometimes have to get by without his powers. Maybe that's part of the character's growth process - he's more or less helpless without his OIF Armor (which sounds a lot like Tony Stark in his Tales of Suspense days). Over time, he better secures the armor (OIAID instead of OIF), works out to become more physically fit, and undertakes other training, until we eventually get the Tony Stark who takes out a couple of agents and comments "I've been trained by Captain America - I'm not helpless without my armor".

What should fix about his armor? I would like him to have some sort of energy weapon built into his armor.

His mutant powers besides his intelligence are his cyberpathic abilities. They are part of why he is good at working with machines.

You have 400 points. That means you have to budget between the various powers you want the character to have.As noted above, you have a lot of extreme skill levels that could be reduced. I haven't ready the technopathy rules in quite a while, so I'm not sure how effective your purchases are. If the result is that you have a poor physical attack and a mental attack that's rarely effective, I suspect you won't be too happy playing the character, so you may have to choose one focus or the other.

With 2 PD and 2 ED, you'll be making a new character pretty quick - an average Supers attack is going to put the character in the hospital, armor or not. And with a 2 Speed, that attack will often land before you move.

I can do with out the technopathy if need be but not the armor and computer-like brain. If I get rid of the technopathy I would get back 52 points to spend on the character.

The following would fit well with him. But be aware that those limitations mean the character WILL sometimes have to get by without his powers. Maybe that's part of the character's growth process - he's more or less helpless without his OIF Armor (which sounds a lot like Tony Stark in his Tales of Suspense days). Over time, he better secures the armor (OIAID instead of OIF), works out to become more physically fit, and undertakes other training, until we eventually get the Tony Stark who takes out a couple of agents and comments "I've been trained by Captain America - I'm not helpless without my armor".

I would like the armor to offer him Resistant Protection.

What if I add Unified Power to the Armor's abilities and other things?

How do I fix his characteristics?

• 2 weeks later...

How do I show that the armor is not made out metal and where would i add to his sheet?

What do you think of the following as part of his Armor Core Systems?

64 Resistant Protection (30 PD/30 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (112 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4)

How do I show that the armor is not made out metal and where would i add to his sheet?

It's fluff. You indicate whether it's made of metal, wood, ceramics, a force field, millions of gnats all flying in formation, pure luck that causes attacks to graze him or any of millions of other possible SFX. Write it in his backstory.

What do you think of the following as part of his Armor Core Systems?

64 Resistant Protection (30 PD/30 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (112 Active Points); OIF Durable (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4)

I think that's substantial defenses, but whether that's a problem depends on the specific game and the rest of the character. I also note this means if someone throws up a Gravity Field that reduces your Flight (which I assume will also have Unified Power), your defenses drop as well. Maybe that's OK - maybe the armor reinforces the physical structure with energy fields, and a drain on power to keep flying draws power from the defensive shielding. Depends on your vision of the character.

How does the century the armor comes from have any bearing on whether Unified Power would be appropriate?

If YOU feel it would be appropriate that a reduction to ONE of those powers would reduce ALL of them because of a thematic link, then Unified Power is the mechanic which achieves that objective. If YOU think that reduction to one power would have no impact on the others, then Unified Power is not appropriate.

The character would with his intelligence and 23rd century technology would have figured a way to keep from having all of his armor systems drained when one system is reduced.

Like Hugh said then Unified Power wouldn't be appropriate.

One part of character Generation is having to deal with the Points Budget. Most Supers are written with a 400 character point (in 6e) Point Budget. So sometimes you find yourself in the position of having a grander vision for your character than you have points to purchase the character with. In those cases it's certainly appropriate to look at ways to Limit powers and things that you can either not purchase initially or purchase at a lower level (ie taking the 21- Inventor skill down to 16- which saves 10 points).

So what I am saying is that Unified Power like any limit is something most players want to avoid. Most people don't like limits on anything the character has. Unfortunatly if you find your character is 100pts over budget, it's time to take a look at limiting your powers. Unified Power is a great way to shave some points off a character esp when the character's powers are obviously closely related.

So you may say that 23rd tech armor might have isolated systems, but perhaps not. Keep an open mind when creating a character. Sometimes a good limit can help define a character in ways you can't see at first.

What does you think of this as why he does not need to sleep? He has a triple-lobed brain. At any given time, one of these lobes will be running as an independent brain, allowing the other two to rest. Every eight to ten hours, his primary lobe switches off and another switches on. This gives him the ability to work non-stop without ever sleeping, but their personality will undergo minor changes as each lobe changes over.

I think that paying for "need not sleep" covers this, with a Complication for any personality changes if desired. Have you got a plan for the character overall, which you can apply to actually build it, or are you just fluttering madly from one concept or set of abilities to another, more or less at random?

Someone on one of your numerous other threads suggested picking ONE of these concepts and building it. I second that suggestion.

It seems like people are getting upset about these threads for some reason.

Upset is the wrong word for it. Just wanting to see if anything we have said in his many many threads has helped him to create a character. I would love to see any of his characters in a more or less finished format with background. It lets me know that I haven't been wasting my time helping him :D

Upset is the wrong word for it. Just wanting to see if anything we have said in his many many threads has helped him to create a character. I would love to see any of his characters in a more or less finished format with background. It lets me know that I haven't been wasting my time helping him :D

Fair enough