A powerful cosmetic transform

Cinniuint

Re: A powerful cosmetic transform

Extraordinary Lockpicking is very appropriate, easy to grok, & keeps it simple. A 18- (or better) Lockpicking w/ a -10 extraordary skill roll penalty should (imho... ymmv) be able to open a lock where there isn't even a door... which is pretty super.

But over the weekend I starting thinking, "Computer."

This would not (necessarily) be one of these new fancy computers with the inefficient memories that can be programmed to do all sorts of things. This would be like (more similar to) one of those old school dedicated memory machines they used to make back in the day.*

*[disclaimer] Unless you've read "Computer Power & Human Reason" (like I have) by Joseph Weizenbaum... wherein there is a convincing argument for re-imagining the entire universe as a computer (how else can computers be thought to work at all)... then what I just wrote might not make any sense to you (so just ignore it).

[the way a lock works as an abstract Computer]:

1) Build the lock as a Computer.

2) Buy the Computer lock a specific Sense (see 6E1 209 for costs).

For common key locks the appropriate sense is Touch-based "Detect Key" (A single thing; 3 pts). This gives the Computer lock a PER Roll based on INT.

• Standard Touch-based "Detect Key" locks cannot tell the difference between one key or other. All it knows is "key"/"not-key" w/o much accuracy. Anything remotely key-like should fool it. (3 pts)

• Truly Discriminatory Touch-based "Detect Key" locks can tell "the right key" from "the wrong key". This is the way key locks generally are supposed to work. (8 pts)

• A Touch-based "Detect Key" lock w/ Analyze can tell "the right key used by the right person" from the right key used by the wrong person." Analyze should be reserved for special locks that require a "trick" to use. Maybe this was intentionally designed into the lock as an added safety feature. Maybe the lock is just so old you need to "jiggle" the key. (13 pts)

Normal Touch is technically much more powerful a Sense than what is required.

3) Do not buy Eidetic Memory for the Computer lock (at least, this purchase is not necessary) as generally locks are not recording devices. Yes, it has a kind of "memory", but it is an extremely limited/spotty kind of memory. Plus, most locks get old & forget things after a while. Super/magic/dwarven/elephant locks (that never forget) are the exception, not the rule.

I can't imagine buying Eidetic Memory more than once.

4) Locks have basically two things to do: "Lock" & "Unlock." Make these the Computer's two basic Programs (1 pt each for 2 pts total). If you think this is a gratuitous number of programs, just combine them into one single 1pt Program (i.e., "Lock OR Unlock").

Make the Program a Focus to simulate The Key. W/o The key, the lock has no program(s).

In this way, Lockpicking is more like Computer Programming than anything else.

To really blow the Computer lock's mind, an Uncontrolled (whatever the appropriate Program key is) Mental Illusions (Machine Class of Minds) seems best to me for fooling a lock without breaking it.

Likewise, using a Minor Transform to actually remove/break the tiny Focus Limitation off of the Compuer lock's Program key (essentially making the Program key a non-removable part built into the Computer lock) works for me, too.

Extraordinary Lockpicking is very appropriate' date=' easy to grok, & keeps it simple. A 18- (or better) Lockpicking w/ a -10 extraordary skill roll penalty should (imho... ymmv) be able to open a lock where there isn't even a door... which is pretty super. [/quote']

A wall without door is just a barrier.

To pass through a barrier without damaging it you need either Desolidification or Tunneling.

So, in how about Tunnelign with Limitations? This of course asumes that certain Robust Barriers has apropirately "robust" Locks (wich is IMHO not very far fetched). It even allows you to open the door for others (your "tunnel" stays), but it can be healed easily (just close and lock the door).

A wall without door is just a barrier.

To pass through a barrier without damaging it you need either Desolidification or Tunneling.

So, in how about Tunnelign with Limitations? This of course asumes that certain Robust Barriers has apropirately "robust" Locks (wich is IMHO not very far fetched). It even allows you to open the door for others (your "tunnel" stays), but it can be healed easily (just close and lock the door).

Even better.