Is this fighter kosher?

Beazulbob

I just signed up for a starhero online game and bought (with equipment points) a fighter to augment the group's ship. I'm hoping for feedback to let me know if the fighter is ok, too powerful, or too weak. It is a 6th edition game but I own 5th edition. I'm using herobuilder software to make a 6th edition ship, but since I don't have the main book, it's still a crap-shoot as to if I did it right.

So, would you allow a character to have this ship?[ATTACH]40585[/ATTACH]

Re: Is this fighter kosher?

5th and 6th haven't changed so much in regards to 'power level' or whatever; 10 active points is 10 active points in both.

As for "would I allow it"... well, without even looking... probably not, but that is mostly because it doesn't fit in with my Star HERO setting. Your GM would be a better person to ask.

Now, I can and will give you some advice or critique. Could you maybe print it to PDF or post it as a .HTML file or something? I don't have HD handy at the moment to look.

Here is the Psi Fighter

Size 5

Str 24

Dex 18 (23)

Bdy 18

Spd 4 (5)

OCV 7

DCV 7 (9)

PD 17

ED 17

45m x8 flight

5m mega 1000 km, extra time 1 turn

Fusion plant 120 end, 25 rec

Resist prot (FF) 10/10, hard, cost end to activate

HRRP (x2)

Turbo mode +5 dex, +1 speed, +2 DCV cost end

Radar

IR

+30 telescopic for vision & radio

Radio flash defense 6 hard

LS rad, cold, heat, vac, self contain breath, cost end

54 str clinging – docking clamps

2 LV with MP

Weapons MP (x2)

Laser cannon: 2d6 rka, no rng mod, ap x3, megascale, 1 km, 180

Particle accelerator: 2d6 rka, auto (3), no rng mod, mega 1 km, 180

Meson Gun: 2d6-1 rka vs power defense, auto 3, no rng mod, mega 1 km, does body

Psi Feedback: 10d6 radio group flash vs mental defense, 4 m area, ap, indirect, no rng mod, megascale area, 1 km, 180

ID assault mind blast, 3.5d6, area 4 m, indirect, megascale 1 km, 180

You can apply Megascale to the Senses/HRRP instead of the Telescopic. Even the book notes this is a "the most common examples" of Megascale. Unless of course you want this ship to be "shortsighted".

Whats the AP on this Multipower? With the Meson Gun it should be gigantic.

In fact the meson gun might be a mayor problem (25 Base, +1 for AVAD, +1 for Does Body, +autofire) and could make the other weapons superfluos. The DC have is around 16*. And the AP somewhere over 100*.

Unless it is a campaign guideline to use "no Range modifier", consider using Penalty Skill Levels instead. Especially Range Skill Levels. With that many attacks (more than 3) you need the 3 point Version.

*Not every advantage counts for DC calculation. Megascale and 0-End are examples.

Psi Feedback:

What is that supposed to acomplish?

ID assualt:

I am not certain that you can buy 0.5D6 Mind Blasts. Also, why the indirect?

Yeah, the Meson gun is the only thing that sticks out, if we assume that other ships in the campaign have roughly scaled defenses (ie. this is a fighter, with 10 DEF, so other fighters in the setting should have 8-12 DEF, and larger ships probably 12+ DEF.)

I would also talk to your GM about the use of / need for buying AP multiple times. Generally, the escalation of "I have AP x3! What? They have Hardened x4???" is not ideal. Most of the time, given weapons vs. appropriate defenses should not require more than one or two levels of either. In other words, if almost all ships have 'hardened armor' and almost all weapons are 'armor piercing' then it is better to wave that initial level of AP and Hardened.

Hey

1) oops! I forgot to include the modifier for the meson gun, it is now 1d6+1

2) I could drop the laser to x2 AP and added the option to shoot 3 times

3) I'm using no range modifier as it is cheaper then buying the levels and gets the same result

4) Psi Feedback: oops again! It is now 5d6 flash vs ego defense, with the indirect to start within the ship.

5) Mind blast is indirect, again to target those within the ship.

**) I am assuming that psionic races would use psionic weapons on their ships.

6) If the standard ship has a 10 defense, I guess I'll drop mine down too. Yikes. Is 10/10 hard def ok? I take it I should lose the FF.

Ok - here's some changes

Here is the Psi Fighter

Size 5

Str 24

Dex 18 (23)

Bdy 18

Spd 4 (5)

OCV 7

DCV 7 (9)

PD 0 10 hard armor 5 ff hard

ED 0 10 hard armor 5 ff hard

45m x8 flight

5m mega 1000 km, extra time 1 turn

Fusion plant 120 end, 25 rec

Hull Armor 10/10 hard

Resist prot (FF) 5/5, hard, cost end to activate

HRRP (x2)

Turbo mode +5 dex, +1 speed, +2 DCV cost end

Radar

Radar megascale

IR

IR megascale

Radio flash defense 10 hard

power defense 16, hard

ego defense 15 hard

LS rad, cold, heat, vac, self contain breath, cost end

54 str clinging – docking clamps

2 LV with MP

Weapons MP (x2)

Laser cannon: 2d6 rka, no rng mod, ap x2, auto 3, megascale, 1 km, 180

Particle accelerator: 2d6 rka, auto (3), no rng mod, mega 1 km, 180

Meson Gun: 1d6+1 rka vs power defense, auto 3, no rng mod, mega 1 km, does body

Psi Feedback: 5d6 vision group flash vs mental defense, 4 m area, ap, indirect, no rng mod, megascale area, 1 km, 180

ID assault mind blast, 3.5d6, area 4 m, indirect, megascale 1 km, 180

**Now the FF, being 5/5, goes down after almost any hit. So, multiple attacks in a round will take it down, leaving the fighter at 10/10 hard.

Is this better, or should I alter it some more?

PS the game I signed up for (for which this character & his fighter were written), has closed/died. Aargh!

Re: Ok - here's some changes

Hey

1) oops! I forgot to include the modifier for the meson gun, it is now 1d6+1

2) I could drop the laser to x2 AP and added the option to shoot 3 times

3) I'm using no range modifier as it is cheaper then buying the levels and gets the same result

4) Psi Feedback: oops again! It is now 5d6 flash vs ego defense, with the indirect to start within the ship.

5) Mind blast is indirect, again to target those within the ship.

**) I am assuming that psionic races would use psionic weapons on their ships.

6) If the standard ship has a 10 defense, I guess I'll drop mine down too. Yikes. Is 10/10 hard def ok? I take it I should lose the FF.

For most of these thigns the question is:

How does your campaign handels it:

How is a laser build? How a Meson Cannon? How a Particle accelerator? Do these weapons even exist? How much armor/shields are okay for a fighter?

3) The question is, if this is allowed. It allows you to fire those weapons with absolutely no penalty at their maximum range of 300 km (Range in 6E is Base Points times 10m) and 200 km (Meson gun) respectively.

4) Just to make certain we are on the same level: This attack will flash the enemies "Sight group" senses and his somehow resited by mental defense.

It will not affect the enemies weapons, psionic or otherwise. It will not affect the enemies Sensors. With indirect it could hit the pilot inside the Vehicle if you can aim at them (not having a transparent cockpit would be a problem).

It will completely bypass any defenses.

6) No, this defense won't "go down" when attacked. It is normal Resistant Protection, like the armor and amors doesn't goes down either. Also, you might be looking for "Cost Endurance to Maintain" here.