Traveller Hero: Aslan Mercenaries Question

azato

I am running a scenario on the plant Singer in District 268. http://traveller.wikia.com/wiki/Singer_(world)

What is brought up in the article is the hiring of Alan mercenaries. Looking through the Traveller and Traveller Hero stuff i am a bit stuck. What would be the kinds (sizes/ armament) of ships and what would be a typical troop size and vehicles? Nothing in the books I have seem appropriate.

Re: Traveller Hero: Aslan Mercenaries Question

I have the old GDW Aslan(I'm assuming Alan is a typo) there is no central command structure so there is no "standard' or typical unit. Most of the gear and ships are close enough to standard to use the human version(just that ships companies vary greatly). They have a weapon called fierah which is worn like a sash or belt and can be used as a flail,whip,bolo,sling or garrote. Then there is the Yurletya a pole arm with a spear on one end (normal spear stats) and the other a 4-prong grappling hook(on a 8+[all DMs apply] the opponent is knocked down, on the next round the opponent suffers -1 DM on all attacks and any attacker(s) gain a +1 DM just for that round. Last there is the Akhaeh an edged Boomerang.

But would they have a Broadsword type ship? I didn't know if such a ship seemed to human? I suppose it would be shaped different and have some variation.

Change the shape, file the serial numbers off and call it something else. *Ta-daaa!!* I give you the [translated from the Aslan] Mighty Hunter class starship. (or whatever else you want to call it.

Sorry...you guys posted and I delayed before submitting. @old_man Thanks for the heads-up on the pdf....Hmmmm...this could be interesting.

Look for a file call "Old FASA articles for Classic Traveller.rar" it has the Aslan mercenary Ships books 1 and 2 in it.

Here is the general plan for tomorrow:

The players are given the mission to drop goods on Singer , specifically to [Malmi Kona]. Their tonnage is filled with silver to fund the war effort supplied by expatriot Marin Du’Reen. His concern is that without funding the the Malmi Kona alliance, that lack of funding would eventually lead T’Neel to joint the Crella alliance in order to safely be on the “winning” side. The cargo will be fh silver and gold coins ---a loan to the government.

Marin is paying the crew $20K and $850cr/ton/parsec for landing him there and holding on planet for a week until he assesses the situation.

Wile there is no declared truce, or cease fire, the current war has slowed down and currently there are not major battles taking place as they take a “breather”.

Upon landing the Marin Du’Reen is rather panicky upon finding the country of Firmas was under some siege and is very concerned that many of the country's artifacts/relics/artwork will be destroyed. The while the country has not been a major player in the world stage for hundreds of years, it has some of the richest artistic and cultural history in this world. Fearing that such will be lost unless he takes action...he pleads with the characters to take him there to load up to cargo hold with religions/artistic/historical work. He will pay them $2.5M for successful offloading of the goods.

While the retrieval takes place, Nejd properly fortified by Crella makes a push into Firmus. Initially, there will be rocket strikes that will hit the city. The intent of the rockets is to destroy buildings within the city to TRAP the character’s GravTank until a mountain of rubble. They will be able to, after much effort to escape the entombing rubble they can dig their way to the surface. The rocket bombardment will be followed by some air strikes but also a large ground offensive.

What they may face.

*Squads of Nejds attacking

*Citizens wanting off the planet.

*Government wanting the grav tank.

Another Development:

*Arrival of Aslan Mercenaries.

Look for a file call "Old FASA articles for Classic Traveller.rar" it has the Aslan mercenary Ships books 1 and 2 in it.

You can buy an officially Licenced CD of that and other FASA stuff here: http://www.farfuture.net/

heck from there you can buy everything ever published for traveller with the exception of the official Traveller Hero and GURPS Traveller supplements/rules.

The Current Alien Module 1 Aslan (that has a ton of great deck plans) is available here: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/us/rpgs/traveller/the-third-imperium.html

Also individual PDFs of all Traveller stuff are also available on DriveThruRPG.com

From the Mongoose book given that most 3rd Imperium era Aslan Mercenary Units are owned by a clan. I would think they would be using a 1000ton Cruiser (Aositaoh Class) It's what the ship is really made for(Landing troops). They might use something bigger depending on the kind of equipment that needs to be landed as well.

Thanks..I do have the old Aslan module...and a friend has the new book (should have grabbed it when I was at his house). All I really needed was ship count an ship size/configuration and troop count (like 1 3,000dt command ship....2 1,000dt transports, 8 fighters and a 500dt transport....5,000 troops).

I did get a count from the PDF but that is all I wanted. I really do not expect the players to fight them...I just like to be sort of "accurate" when throwing things around in a universe with canon.