New Player

JmOz

I have a new player in my group, has only played in one game of HERO ever, so here is what I made for him, his background is only bare boned, but essentialy he is a highschool science genius (Something of a savant in truth) who has created this battlesuit...

The hunteds and Science skills have been intentialy left blank to be filled in in game

Mech

Player:

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
23 DEX 39
20 CON 20
12 BODY 4
28 INT 18
15 EGO 10
15 PRE 5
16 COM 3
5/20 PD 2
5/20 ED 1
5 SPD 17
7 REC 0
40 END 0
30 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM03" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 124

Cost Power END
Powered Armor, all slots: Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
36 1) Armor (15 PD/15 ED) (45 Active Points)
16 2) Radar (Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree) (20 Active Points)
5 3) High quality sensors: Enhanced Perception (+6 to PER Rolls for Radar Sense) (6 Active Points)
10 4) Radio: High Range Radio Perception (12 Active Points)
4 5) UV Scopes: Ultraviolet Perception (5 Active Points)
30 6) Jetpack: Flight 10", x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (37 Active Points)
60 Weapon Systems: Multipower, 90-point reserve, all slots: (90 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
6u 1) Blasters: Energy Blast 12d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (90 Active Points)
4u 2) Jackhammer: Energy Blast 6d6 (vs. PD), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1) (90 Active Points); No Range (-1/2)
4u 3) Missiles: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 (vs. ED), Explosion (+1/2), Penetrating (+1/2) (90 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1)
Powers Cost: 175

Cost Skill
3 Breakfall 14-
3 Computer Programming 15-
3 Electronics 15-
3 Inventor 15-
3 Mechanics 15-
3 Paramedics 15-
1 Security Systems 8-
3 Systems Operation 15-
3 Weaponsmith (Energy Weapons, Missiles & Rockets) 15-
1 TF: Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles
3 Scientist
2 1) SS (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 2) SS (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 3) SS (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 4) SS (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 5) SS (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 6) SS (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 7) SS (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 8) SS (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 9) SS (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 10) SS (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 11) SS (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
Skills Cost: 51

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
20 Psychological Limitation: Code Versus Killing Common, Total
15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity Frequently (11-), Major
10 Social Limitation: Not of Legal Age (17) (Frequently; Minor)
10 Rivalry: Professional (Bully), Rival is More Powerful, Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry
20 Dependent NPC: Janet Lefare, Girlfriend 11- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)
25 Hunted: 14- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)
5 Unluck: 1d6
20 Psychological Limitation: Novice Hero (Very Common; Strong)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Gary Ciaramella

Shouldn't the Dex, Con and Speed also be only in hero ID or OIF?

Well, he could.

On the other hand, the character has super INT, so obviously he's not just your average kid-in-the-classroom.

Personally, I like that approach. Means that he could pick up a weapon and fight alright if corned away from the suit.

My latest powersuit guy is STR 35 normally. Why? So that he's not useless when his limitation is being exploited.

I wouldn't have bought the eb at 0 End (especially the autofire one). But thats me.

I would have made a couple of sciences at <11 (again, thats me)

He may get a few foreign languages (depends on the campaign if they get used)

Buy him a contact, someone who hasa lab/workshop, where he built the suit. He may need to get it fixed. Perhaps a shop teacher who used to be a supervillain, got jailed, and has since reformed.

Dependin on the size of the suit, he may need help putting it on. (I always hated that Iron Man's fit in a briefcase)

Rest looks fine for a semi-beginning player. Not much math to keep track of, and he can add stuff later with his inventor skill as he figures out the rules.

Oh, wouldn't the weapon system MP be "only in hero ID?"

Didn't see anything that looked too bizarre, assuming he's a minor mutant or something with enhanced physical/mental stats (i.e. no NCM.) I did notice the hunteds at 14-, they will be showing up an awful lot...

How is Novice Hero a psych lim? Shouldn't you define what that means?

Originally posted by Ghost who Walks

I wouldn't have bought the eb at 0 End (especially the autofire one). But thats me.

I would have made a couple of sciences at <11 (again, thats me)

He may get a few foreign languages (depends on the campaign if they get used)

Buy him a contact, someone who hasa lab/workshop, where he built the suit. He may need to get it fixed. Perhaps a shop teacher who used to be a supervillain, got jailed, and has since reformed.

Dependin on the size of the suit, he may need help putting it on. (I always hated that Iron Man's fit in a briefcase)

Rest looks fine for a semi-beginning player. Not much math to keep track of, and he can add stuff later with his inventor skill as he figures out the rules.

Oh, wouldn't the weapon system MP be "only in hero ID?"

Good points, and most of them I had thought of in design, I will share my thoughts on it to you:

On the 0 End thing, well that was to keep the character as simple as possible (He will not have to keep track of it this way).

I wanted him to be a Science Savant, as you can see they are not filled in yet (though before I give him to the character I will be putting a couple down, Physics, Robotics, Anatomy, Biology, Chemistry, Balistics). To be honest I had not thought of giving them at an 11- as I am to much of a Min-maxer

The Foreign Language is a good idea, but will let him get it with xp

The Shop idea is intriguing, I kind of thought of him as more of a spiderman type getting it done in his garage type thing however (see the disads, most are based off of spidey)

You're going to hate this BUT I thought a combination of "In his book bag, and under his clothes"

As for your parting shots, thank you, I apreciate the review

Some things I am toying with include iving the whole suit OIF instead and then giving him some luck...

He looks great, very similar to one of my favorite PCs, Quasar.

I'd say he's fine as is, particularly for a new player.

My only thoughts are:

Some of his DEX and SPD should be bought OIF Armor, Hero ID Only.

The kid already has Perception rolls of 15-. Does he really need another +6?

His CV is kind of low, at least for the campaigns I've played in. He'll have a tough time hitting, and he'll get hit a LOT. This is a problem, since his resistant PD/ED is ALSO kind of low. AND he only has one Focus. Once he takes his first point of BODY damage, good bye powers!

How about taking the points he gets from limiting some of his DEX and SPD and selling off some of his Enhanced Perception and use those points to buy 2 Combat Levels OIF Armor, Hero ID Only, PDP Radar, Requires a Preception Roll?

That WOULD add a lot more book keeping to the character in combat, and I understand why you were trying to avoid that, but as it is, Ogre has an OK chance to catch this guy with a Haymaker and break his armor, thus robbing him of all his powers and leaving him in a REAL bind.

Also, two words - Flash Defense! ALL my charactes have some.

Okay, I give in

Version 2.0

Mech

Player:

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
13/23 DEX 9
20 CON 20
12 BODY 4
28 INT 18
15 EGO 10
15 PRE 5
16 COM 3
5/30 PD 2
5/30 ED 1
3/5 SPD 7
7 REC 0
40 END 0
30 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM03" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 84

Cost Power END
Powered Armor, all slots: OIF (-1/2)
50 1) Armor (25 PD/25 ED) (75 Active Points)
20 2) Radar (Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree, Telescopic (+10)) (30 Active Points)
20 3) Cyberservoes: +10 DEX (30 Active Points)
7 4) Cyberservoes: +1 SPD (10 Active Points)
8 5) Radio: High Range Radio Perception (12 Active Points)
3 6) UV Scopes: Ultraviolet Perception (5 Active Points)
25 7) Jetpack: Flight 10", x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (37 Active Points)
60 Weapon Systems: Multipower, 90-point reserve, all slots: (90 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
6u 1) Blasters: Energy Blast 12d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (90 Active Points)
4u 2) Jackhammer: Energy Blast 6d6 (vs. PD), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1) (90 Active Points); No Range (-1/2)
4u 3) Missiles: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 (vs. ED), Explosion (+1/2), Penetrating (+1/2) (90 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1)
Powers Cost: 207

Cost Skill
3 Breakfall 12- (14-)
3 Computer Programming 15-
3 Electronics 15-
3 Inventor 15-
3 Mechanics 15-
3 Paramedics 15-
1 Security Systems 8-
3 Systems Operation 15-
3 Weaponsmith (Energy Weapons, Missiles & Rockets) 15-
1 TF: Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles
3 Scientist
2 1) SS: Physics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 2) SS: Chemistry (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 3) SS: Robotics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 4) SS: Biology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 5) SS: Powered Armor Engineering (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
1 6) SS: Library Studies (2 Active Points) 11-
2 7) SS (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 8) SS (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 9) SS (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 10) SS (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 11) SS (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
1 12) SS (2 Active Points) 11-
Skills Cost: 51

Total Character Cost: 342

Val Disadvantages
20 Psychological Limitation: Code Versus Killing Common, Total
15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity Frequently (11-), Major
10 Social Limitation: Not of Legal Age (17) (Frequently; Minor)
10 Rivalry: Professional (Bully), Rival is More Powerful, Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry
20 Dependent NPC: Janet Lefare, Girlfriend 11- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)
5 Unluck: 1d6
20 Psychological Limitation: Novice Hero (Very Common; Strong)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Reread him again, and had some thoughts.

I like his "Library studies" skill!

Perhaps his girlfriend could work there, or it might be his part-time job (keeping the Peter Parker motif, he could drive around the bookmobile...he isa able to drive it!)

Perhaps one of his inventions could be the result of some book he found in the library. A superhero or supervillain journal, that might allow a hunted to show up

Example: Spidey vs. Doc Oc

Spidey: "Why oh why, do you keep atttacing me?"

Doc Oc: "Becuase you idea stealing fiend, you stold the design for your webshooters from the designs that I published in popular mechanics in 1978! You may be a brillianct chemist, but you are no engineer!

Spidey: "That was a publicly available article!"

While it might not fit with the current conception, it would be funny.

I rather liked the high stats purchased out of the armor. Allowed him a bit of rooom for expansion. Plenty of ways to justify them, again we will use Spidey as an example.

1) Who exactly was Peter Parker's father? Why, he was some superpowered criminal! Slain while committing a crime by Detective Jack Webb, a fraction of his powers passed on to his son. His uncle, of course, never mention their wayward sibling.

2) This was not the characte's first attempt to get powers. Before building the suit, he tried to have an orgiin! Regretfully, the chemical solution he drank only gave him heightened reflexes...and gas.

3) He's really an alien. thats why he's so smart and fast. He's not one of us.

Originally posted by Fireg0lem

Is there a reason why Jackhammer is a 0 Range EB instead of a Hand-to-Hand Attack? Would be more effective, and there's no SFX related reason not to.

Because as invisioned the characters STR will not add to the damage, thus HtH is out

As for all the talk about how he built it, the player specificaly said he wanted his character to be a Genius who invented it in his garage...