Robe of useful things

MrofMist

Hey, ok so me and my friend are trying to build this unbelievably lucky character that has no control of his luck.

Well we thought it would be cool to give him the ability to manifest small mostly useless items, such as tissue, knife, paperclips, etc. Similar to the dnd robe of useful things.

What would be the best way to go about this?

Re: Robe of useful things

Also, Transform (air/nothing to small objects) was the pre-APG II method of doing this.

Now both Transform and Object Creation will tell you, very emphatically, that under no circumstances should the objects you create be useful for any purpose whatsoever. If there's any conceivable way you could be doing something that another power does, that's forbidden. However - I've found that in practice, you can and should relax this a little. I mean, the player did pay points for the ability - especially Object Creation - it costs, IIRC, 20+ points, up to significantly more depending on what you can create. Saying that the player just threw away 30 points for something with no mechanical impact seems just as wrong as allowing it to mimic all the other powers.

So IMC, the guideline is "could you buy this with money?". If it's something you could buy (or otherwise obtain) without spending points, then you can make it with Transform/Object Creation. This obviously varies from campaign to campaign, but I think for most people it would include things like what you're talking about, even if they could hypothetically be bought as a power. Now personally, I allow buying normal non-military weaponry with money (in Superheroic games, obviously it's legal in Heroic ones). It's not nearly as good as what you can get with points, and it has a much higher chance of breaking/jamming/getting lost under the extreme conditions PCs operate in, but I'm not going to say that you can't pick up a knife or handgun.

Waht this is, can depend much on the igenuity of the player.

For example, most would consider Liquid Soap to be "small and useless". Until the player uses it to archieve the effect of "Slippery surface" - a Change Environment.

Also, keep in mind that "character has no controll" and "player has no controll" are two different kind of shoes.

As such I could see it made with a VPP, using the Power Skill "Lucky" to change in in the middle of a fight. When the skill Roll fails, then he didn't got something usefull (wasted hsi phase). If it succeds, he get's just what the player needed.

Taking the soap example:

Player anounces he want's to change his VPP to include a Change Environment vs. Ground Movement (the classical Ice sheet effect). He rolls the power roll and succeds.

He describes his character pulling things out of thin air/his robe with increasing frustation (not to find anything usefull): A Feather, a Anvil, A bottle of soap, a Swimsuite... wait, a bottle of Soap? With an evil grin at finally having luck to find something usefull the character perpares to give his enemies some really bad footing...

Now both Transform and Object Creation will tell you' date=' very emphatically, that under no circumstances should the objects you create be useful for any purpose whatsoever. If there's any conceivable way you could be doing something that another power does, that's forbidden. [/quote']

So MacGuyver can't be wearing this then?