Unarmed Damage Cap?

Drohem

OK, so weapon damage is usually capped at double the base DC of the weapon. Is there a cap for unarmed STR damage with a punch or kick? If this is discussed somewhere in the rules (6E), please direct me to the appropriate page. :)

For example, a PC in my current game is a recently freed slave and the only weapon he has are manacles. I have decided that this does 2d6 Normal damage; therefore, he is capped at 4d6 damage with the makeshift weapon. However, the PC does more than 4d6 damage with just his normal punch and Martial Strike so he's discarded the weapon for just punching people. Is there a cap as to how many dice of damage an Unarmed attack can do?

Re: Unarmed Damage Cap?

there is no damage cap in 6th ed

damage caps where in 2nd -5th editions for HKA's

Str + MA never had a damage cap in any

your slave PC could use the manacles as cestus(think heavy brass knuckles)if he bought them as a weapon element for his martial art and add that 2d6 to his MA total

there is no damage cap in 6th ed

Incomplete answers. There is no double damage cap by default, hower it can be if:

- The Real Weapon and/or STR minimum Limtiations are used (see 6E2). Both allow to go beyodn that, but then the weapon takes the same damage as the target, potentially breakign it.

- The GM decides to go by this rule, wich could be common in heroic games.

- it should never be an issue in superheroic games, unless the GM is really certain about it.

But the rest is right, there is no damage Cap on Unarmed Combat by default. But considering that a character with high STR (20-30) is propably better off (and more cost effectively) with an Axe than +4 DC from MA makes this a realtively low problem.

Note that using the Martial Arts while wearign manacles should be difficulty to impossible (that what they were there for, after all).

Thanks for the responses! :)

There are several things I left out originally since they seemed moot to my question, but I realize now that they might helpful to other readers:

1. I am using the optional rule where damage over double the base DC of the weapon goes to the weapon; and could break it.

2. The PC in question doesn't have access to other weapons at the moment.

3. The character is no longer bound by the manacles, but is using them as a makeshift weapon (i.e, clubbing people with them).

4. It's a Heroic, gritty, fantasy game.

OK, so do any GMs out there cap Unarmed damage dice, or is it a non-issue for you?

I guess he also lacks any weapon familarity with the Makeshift Weapons, making it a general bad choice not only a "it does less damage" choice.

Anotehr way to simulate the inferriority of martial arts, is the Optional OCV penalties from 6E2 202, wich gives the unarmed guy OCV penalties based on the enemies weapon lenght. Of course the Martial artist can reverse the situation, using the enemies reach agaisnt him but he would still be more likely to suffer it agaisnt armed opponents.

I guess he also lacks any weapon familarity with the Makeshift Weapons, making it a general bad choice not only a "it does less damage" choice.

Anotehr way to simulate the inferriority of martial arts, is the Optional OCV penalties from 6E2 202, wich gives the unarmed guy OCV penalties based on the enemies weapon lenght. Of course the Martial artist can reverse the situation, using the enemies reach agaisnt him but he would still be more likely to suffer it agaisnt armed opponents.

Well, I am ruling that using the manacles is close enough to either Clubs or Fist Loads that I am not imposing the -3 unfamiliarity penalty. (Trying to cut them a small break since they're in dire straights, as it were.)

However, most of there current opponents do have Long weapons, so reminding about this rule was great. Thanks! :)

In Heroic games I run I have always used the Damage Cap rules.

With unarmed damage I say that the Base DC of the attack is Strength (HA Included) plus Martial Arts. Meaning that if a character had STR 15 and uses Martial Strike (Str + 2DC) the Base DC of the Attack is 5DC (5d6) meaning that makes the damage cap 10DC (10d6), after this point he starts damaging him.

I Like the optional OCV penalty rules, will have to remember them, it would help to flesh out the Martial Arts.

In Heroic games I run I have always used the Damage Cap rules.

With unarmed damage I say that the Base DC of the attack is Strength (HA Included) plus Martial Arts. Meaning that if a character had STR 15 and uses Martial Strike (Str + 2DC) the Base DC of the Attack is 5DC (5d6) meaning that makes the damage cap 10DC (10d6), after this point he starts damaging him.

I Like the optional OCV penalty rules, will have to remember them, it would help to flesh out the Martial Arts.

Considering that Martial Arts count's to "base damage", it's not really a limitation that will ahve much effect.

At least in 6E only the raw weapon damage (plus naked advantages) counts as Base Damage. Everything else (STR, Martial Arts, maneuvers, CSL, Talents) is subject to the limit.