Weapon Creation: Boom'aDagger'Rang

Adinecia

Hi oh benevolant gods of the forum, *cough*

I had a question.

One of my Hero System 6th Edition players wants a Magical dagger (standard dagger) that automatically teleports back to him after he says the magical incantations.

Any ideas on how this should be made?!

Recoverable Charges?!

I await ur great advice and guidance.

Kind Regards,

I really hope i posted this in the right section.

Re: Weapon Creation: Boom'aDagger'Rang

Oh, also I guess you could add the Incantations limitation but that would prevent him from throwing the dagger if gagged which is not your intent. I'd say just handwave that particular problem, leave off the Incantations limitation, and say he can actually return it to his hand by thought, but he believes he needs to speak a command to get it back. (and what a surprise it would be if he gets it back while gagged!)

Several ways to do this. As Ninja mentioned, it could just be the sfx of an RKA.

Another way to do it is w/ invisible Stretching or TK with the applicable limitations (only to retrieve dagger, etc).

Similarly UAA Teleport, with limitations, to teleport the dagger back; you'd probably want to use Trigger "command word" as well to avoid wasting an action to do it.

You could buy the dagger as a very small vehicle with Flight or Teleport and a computer with a program to return the dagger to the thrower. Dancing Swords and "sentient" objects and such can be modeled similarly as well.

You could build the dagger more like a power / spell, with Physical Manifestation rather than as a weapon with Focus. "Recalling" the dagger is merely an act of reusing the effect to make a new Physical Manifestation and having the existing Physical Manifestation terminate...giving the ILLUSION that it has been recalled. SFX is pretty flexible; you don't have to be literal.

Oh and I forgot to mention that there isn't one "right" way to build it. For example I don't like strength that adds to thrown weapons (for example) but that doesn't mean that erkenfresh is wrong, just not the build I would use because of preference. Another hint is build it a way that you think it should work, and don't be afraid to modifiy or totally rebuild it if need be! Have fun!

Addendum...I recalled that I had helped someone build a possessed sword bearer at sometime in the past...

In this case I used SUMMON

Character that has the Possessed Sword

Blood Drinker Possessed Sword

You could do something similar, giving the summoned entity the power to teleport the weapon it occupies back to the bearer.

You could also build it as a Follower rather than as a Summon if it's "always on".

Addendum...I recalled that I had helped someone build a possessed sword bearer at sometime in the past...

In this case I used SUMMON

Character that has the Possessed Sword

Blood Drinker Possessed Sword

You could do something similar, giving the summoned entity the power to teleport the weapon it occupies back to the bearer.

You could also build it as a Follower rather than as a Summon if it's "always on".

Instead would reestrainable fit the bill better?

Restrainable means there's some common' date=' obvious way to restrain the power. Also, as an (I think) unwritten assumption, it can't be very difficult - Weapons don't count as restrainable, but wings can.[/quote']

Well I was thinking of the sample of retractable claws in cyberpunk is restrainable at a lesser level. (To me, restrainable seems an easy limitation to understand at first, yet I seem to not to fully grasp it)

And an old trick would be to buy it as OIF and define that as long as its in reach of 10 hexes, it can be teleported back to the user. Hi (fire) from Ninja Hero 4th uses this for his magical sword.

Well I was thinking of the sample of retractable claws in cyberpunk is restrainable at a lesser level. (To me, restrainable seems an easy limitation to understand at first, yet I seem to not to fully grasp it)

And an old trick would be to buy it as OIF and define that as long as its in reach of 10 hexes, it can be teleported back to the user. Hi (fire) from Ninja Hero 4th uses this for his magical sword.

If your cybernetics are particularly vulnerable to tazering, that would count as either Restrainable or a Vulnerability, depending.

A person grabbing said flung dagger and hanging onto it for at least a turn would count against the OIF, not an additional limitation.

Although I'm no longer sure what precisely we're talking about, unless it's "uses of Restrainable". :)

If your cybernetics are particularly vulnerable to tazering, that would count as either Restrainable or a Vulnerability, depending.

A person grabbing said flung dagger and hanging onto it for at least a turn would count against the OIF, not an additional limitation.

Although I'm no longer sure what precisely we're talking about, unless it's "uses of Restrainable". :)

Okay to be clear, I was suggesting either restrainable or OIF not both ;)