Megascale STR

Vigil

Hi There,

I'm a long time fan of the system from way, way, way back when (81-82 ish). I picked up the hardcover 5th Edition rules recently and had a question on the megascale modifier.

Could megascale, added to STR be used to simulate Superman-like feats such as moving planetary masses? And if so, would the planetary (+1 1/4) level listed on the table be the ricght VAL?

Now, I know that the first response would be "use telekinesis for that" but wouldn't STR be as appropriate? I mean, characters with Growth receive some of the benefits of megascale in a not so megascale way (ie automatic AE style STR) so why not allow it to be applied to STR in a megascale sense (wouldn't Marvel's Celestials and Galactus, among others, have this?) while using other combinations to represent other STR feats.

That being said I was wondering what STR (Or TK) VAL would be needed for a planetary level effect? Assuming, high end that 30% of the planet is compsed of Stone which is per hex DEF 5 / BOD 19 would that require a STR of about 95 before Megascale? I couldn't find the numbers for water/hex so I'm not sure about the 70% of the planet.

Sorry for the overly long question/rant.

Cheers,

Vigil

I think this is more of a how to sort of question, so I've moved it to allow for broader discussion by the community as a whole. I'll answer to the extent of saying that MegaScale doesn't increase the weight a character can lift/move if applied to STR. If you bought Area Of Effect for STR, you could apply MegaScale to turn it into a MegaArea; I suppose some GMs might require that for moving planets and what-all.

Definitely something to remember for The Ultimate Brick. ;)

Thanks for the replies so far, guys. I think the megascale modifier is a great one cause it does allow for amazing, cosmic level feats without having to create characters with stats that are mornically high. For example, in my estimation Superman would have STR of about 150 or so (that's a rough estimate based on the AC article converting DC Heroes to Champions, I don't recall the issue off hand) which wouldn't allow for anything even close to what would be needed for these sorts of feats.

On a related topic, and this is probably another thread, does anyone out there have any basic ideas of how to chart out groups like the Avengers (being my fave). Is there some sort of consensus as to point ranges etc. I remeber Glenn Thain wrote an excellent article in Different Worlds on the X-Men back in 82 which was smart and innovative and well balanced. Do any more such articles exist? Just wondering.