Near Sighted

I have in mind a character that is near sighted and wears corrective glasses in his secret ID and goggles that enhance his vision beyond normal range in his heroic ID. To determine the cost, I am buying it as a negative version of telescopic vision and will buy the heroic goggles as an OIF and call the normal glasses a free OIF.

The question is, should the points received from the myopic vision be treated like selling back characteristics like selling back Strength, or should it be counted towards the complication points, or should it be a matter of discretion of the player? I am of the first opinion, but I would like to get the opinion of more experienced players.

Re: Near Sighted

I think you just take a physical complication: near sighted (corrected by glasses) and call it good. Points would depend on how bad the vision is without glasses (I am near sighted but I can function fine in most situations without my glasses, but I know people who are virtually blind without their glasses) and how often you want it to come up.

Selling back/limiting vision is problematic. IIRC it nominally costs 35 points, but all you would actually get is a limitation on the 'range' part, so it really would not be worth it. You'd save a couple of points at best.

I really only want it as a complication if the Focus is successfully targeted for some reason which is why I considered buying it characteristic loss that is shunted into a focus rather than as a physical complication as the physical complication doesn't seem to work the way I feel the nearsightedness should when I visualize (unintended pun) how it should work and level or two of for -1 or -2 points for a -2 or -4 penalty to distance modifiers don't seem to be unbalancing in anyway, or at least, that is my thinking.

I really only want it as a complication if the Focus is successfully targeted for some reason which is why I considered buying it characteristic loss that is shunted into a focus rather than as a physical complication as the physical complication doesn't seem to work the way I feel the nearsightedness should when I visualize (unintended pun) how it should work and level or two of for -1 or -2 points for a -2 or -4 penalty to distance modifiers don't seem to be unbalancing in anyway' date=' or at least, that is my thinking.[/quote']

The simple Solution is to buy a "Nearsieghted if Googles and Glasses unavailible". Then choose the frequency for glass loss accordingly.

I guess I would get more points back that way and coming up with creative complications is one of my biggest obstacles to creating characters' date=' anyway.[/quote']

Selling back part of a sense, only to then buying it back as a Focus sound just like overcomplicating matters. And possible munchkinism.

I don't think it is any different than a physically handicapped character selling off characteristics and then buying them back as powered armor.

The difference is that you can only sell back sight as whole. And having "normal sight" is no special power/sense modifier. Not havin.g full sight is most likely a compclaiton.

And in end-effect all you really described is a Complication that is directly tied to the status of his equipment. It's similar to "accidental Change: If Powergem in chest is damaged."

If he has his glasses or googles, he does not suffer at all. If either is taken or destroyed (the googles are inaccessible), then he suffers the complciation. Foes that know it can use that (attacking the googles), the same way foes attack a vulnerability.

You're not considering the math. As I am only wanting a level or two of myopia, I would only get 1 or 2 CP in return. The minimum cost for a power bought in a focus is 1 CP; so, at most, I am only coming out ahead by 1 CP, and frankly, having one CP to spend is sometimes more hassle than it is worth when you are trying figure out where to spend that CP. Consequently, my proposal is far from being munchkiny and is more for flavor.