Homing

phoenix240

Re: Homing

6E1 341 says: "Generally speaking' date=' a MegaArea power shouldn’t have the Selectiveor NonselectivePower" And this goes doubly for acurate. Aoe Acurate + Megaarea is just a try to make the attack unavoidable. And unavoidable attacks are prohibited in general, as are one against wich no defense exists.[/quote']

Continuing your quote, "but the GM can allow this if he wishes". I believe there has been at least one power written up where this is used to simulate a voodoo doll or some similar attack which hits the target wherever he may be. It is a mechanic which will pretty much make the attack unavoidable by conventional means. It is for each individual GM to assess whether such a result is, or is not, acceptable in his game.

The RAW "prohibit" very little, if anything. The GM can allow, or disallow, unusual constructs, or even pretty plain vanilla abilities, as desired in the best interests of the campaign. Of course, if we're resistant enough to anything unusual, we get an entire team with 12d6 attacks, 25 defenses, etc. who vary only by SFX and maybe some minor issues like END costs and range.

Homing (Naked Advantage): (Total: 22 Active Cost' date=' 11 Real Cost) Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Trigger can expire (it has a time limit), Misfire; +1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of Attack Power, Constant (+1/2) (22 Active Points); 2 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1) (Real Cost: 11)[/quote']

Seems like Trigger would work fairly well - Trigger - attack misses (+1/4), Activating takes no time (+1/4) and resets automatically (+1/2), so for a +1 advantage, the attack keeps rolling until it hits. Oddly, this is the same +1 many prior threads have concluded "attack cannot miss" should be priced at.

Now, if we add some limitations, like each new attack occurring some time interval after the miss that triggers it, requiring the attacker to pump in END at the start which determines the maximum number of attacks that will occur, or perhaps to spend END on each added trigger (with the attack itself ending once END stops being contributed), we can have the Omega Beams chasing the target around the field of combat. Slap on a Physical Manifestation and we have a homing missile which can be blasted out of the sky.

Seems like Trigger would work fairly well - Trigger - attack misses (+1/4), Activating takes no time (+1/4) and resets automatically (+1/2), so for a +1 advantage, the attack keeps rolling until it hits. Oddly, this is the same +1 many prior threads have concluded "attack cannot miss" should be priced at.

Now, if we add some limitations, like each new attack occurring some time interval after the miss that triggers it, requiring the attacker to pump in END at the start which determines the maximum number of attacks that will occur, or perhaps to spend END on each added trigger (with the attack itself ending once END stops being contributed), we can have the Omega Beams chasing the target around the field of combat. Slap on a Physical Manifestation and we have a homing missile which can be blasted out of the sky.

Thank you - I was kind of in a hurry I think when I posted that and didn't make it as clear as I might, but you have seen what I was intending and clarified it. Yes, the Trigger condition is "attack misses" which triggers another attack.

I believe Powers with Trigger require END cost as normal when setting the Trigger, so technically you'd spend the END every time it resets for another go-round, but I don't think it's much of a stretch to require the character to spend the END up front for however many attacks they're willing to "fund." In my example, the Charges isn't a Limitation on the actual attack, but on the Naked Advantage. I left off Physical Manifestation because, as I recall, the original post wasn't about heat seeking missiles or whatever but a more general "attack keeps trying until it hits, is stopped somehow, or a time limit runs out." Targetting a physical missile is but one means of stopping a particular special effect.

Lucius Alexander

Homing Palindromedary

Doesn't a resetting Trigger always fire from the point it was set the first time? So the attack would always suffer the range penalty from the point it was fired from.

Could we do something with UAA and Required Roll?

Instead of building the missile, we "Stick" the missile lock to the target.

The discussion of Triggered provides a lot of leeway to the origin point of the Triggered attack. Land mines, for example, are triggered where the Trigger was set and left. Perhaps a further +1/4 or +1/2 to allow the Triggered attacks to have No Change in Range Modifier would be in order. A case could be made the auto-resetting Trigger is set at the point where the attack missed the target, so the range modifier is based on the location of the target and the point where the last miss occurred, but the ability for the attack to move a significant distance could be worth a bit of an extra advantage (+1/4 or +1/2, given removal of range modifiers entirely is +1/2).