Value of Social Lim: No Human Rights

CrosshairCollie

So ... having an idea for a game that could probably be described as inspired by the old TMNT system (and, of course, you couldn't pay me to actually run Palladium). In the game-world I'm thinking of, there are 'mutants' (or Moreaus if you have literary chops), which are animals raised to sapience and bipedalism, and 'splicers', which are humans who have gained animal features. The latter is illegal, the former is considered a military technology. So, mutants are generally government agents, frequently 'super-soldiers'.

With the bioengineering being a new technology, the legal system hasn't caught up with it in many ways. Specifically, mutants are not considered 'people' under the US Constitution, meaning they are entitled to no legal protections. They are, essentially, property. How many points would this probably be worth, do you think?

Re: Value of Social Lim: No Human Rights

I guess the issue is how likely humanlike you appear. If there is no visual cues, you should be ok, but if you looked like our favorite shellbacks, you are likely to persecuted depending on the nature of the game that is run.

I guess the issue is how likely humanlike you appear. If there is no visual cues' date=' you should be ok, but if you looked like our favorite shellbacks, you are likely to persecuted depending on the nature of the game that is run.[/quote']

To use the old Palladium term, mutants (and 90 percent of splicers) have 'No Human Looks'; they're full-on anthropomorphs like most of the mutants in the TMNT books/shows/movies. For the sake of genre, though, I'll probably let the whole 'trenchcoat and floppy hat' disguise work, unless the animal base somehow just forbids it based on size or shape.

• 2 weeks later...

20 to 25 points sounds high, although I didn't consult the rules book. I'd be more worried about how often the players actually suffer consequences. Very distinctive looks and no legal rights should equal apprehended every other adventure. If its less, I think you've got something more like a hunted, were the hunted doesn't actually show up all of the time. If the players have either a patron to protect them, or a place where they are safe and the disad doesn't apply, then it should be worth a little less.

For playability, I'm thinking 15 to 10 range.