The Chain Sword/Sword Whip

BhelliomRahl

Designing a character whose signature weapon is the Chain Sword.

Description: The Weapon appears to be a normal Longsword and functions as such but a mechanism allows the sword to break apart into small segments linked by a Chain/Cable and return to its sword form. The Weapon now functions in a similar manner to a whip; it has reach and can be used to entangle/grab but still maintains some of the lethality of a sword. This weapon was use by Ivy in Soul Caliber & the movie 'Brotherhood of the Wolf' (Great Film).

My thoughts on the build are:

1) Hand Killing Attack with usually qualities of Equipment. (Focus, Real Weapon, Strength Min, No Endurance Cost, etc) with Reach 6m (Stretch with relevent Limitations)

2) Multipower;

a) HKA

B) RKA; Limited Range 6m

c) Stretch 6m; Direct Only, No Non-Combat Stretching: Link with HKA 1/2d6; Only if successfull with Grab

Link a HKA to the stretch is to represent that Blade Segments are wrapping around the target which means that if the ability is used it will cause damage even if used to aid another. This might be better represented as a Side effect which occures if a Power Skill: Chain Sword Roll is failed.

Option 2 is more expensive to build but I think it better represents the abilites of a Chain Sword.

When I have written both Options up I will post the mechanical design but wanted to get people's thoughts on the matter to see if I am going in the wrong direction.

Re: The Chain Sword/Sword Whip

As I said here is the mechanical build:

22RPs Chain Sword Multipower, 45-Point Reserve, (45APs); all slots OAF (-1)

1) 2f - Sword - Killing Attack - HTH 1.1/2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 End; +1/2) (44APs); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4)

2) 1f - Chain Whip - Killing Attack - Ranged 1.1/2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 End; +1/2) (37APs); OAF (-1), Limited Range - 6m, Real Weapon (-1/4)

3) 1f - Chain - Stretching 6m, Reduced Endurance (0 End; +1/2) (9APs); OAF (-1), Requires A Roll (Attack Roll; -1/2), No Non-Combat Stretching (-1/4), Always Direct (-1/4)

6RPs Blade Segments - Killing Attack - Ranges 1/2d6, Constant (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 End; +1/2) (20APs); OAF (-1), Limited Range - 6m, Linked (Chain; -1/2),

Requires A Roll (Chain Sword Tricks -1/2) Real Weapon (-1/4).

Note: Jointly Linked with Chain, Requires a Chain Sword Tricks Roll to not use Chain Segments Power when Chain is used.

The Reason that Chain Segments is outside of the Multipower is due to RAW in regards to Linking powers within a Multipower.

Blade Segments is to represent that although it function like a whip when grabbing a target due to the blade segments it inflicts damage. However with the appropiate Skill roll the user can use the flat of the blade and not damage the target. Decided to use Linking instead of Side Effects as the damage does not effect the user only the target and it has a combat benefit.

Opinions?