Entangle Damage Shield

Zan the Gamer

I am trying to construct a villain similar to X-Men's the Blob. I'm having a difficult time properly defining his ability to trap (Entangle) someone who attacks his fat (torso area, not arms, legs, or head) in melee combat. I read through the section on both Entangle and Damage Shield in the FAQ and I'm still not satisfied with my construct. Right now it looks like this:

6 D6 Entangle

Damage Shield

Continuous

Reduced END 0

No Barriers

Set Effect: Only Traps That Which Hits Him in Melee (Fists, Feet, Baseball Bat, etc.)

Does Not Prevent Use of Accessible Foci

It's still missing the fact that you don't "break" the entangle to break free, it requires more Strength than it has to hold you. It's also missing something to represent that he doesn't neccessarily take damage from attacks (since the Entagle is part of his physical being). He also has a Disadvantage of x2 Stun/Body from stabbing/slicing damage, so he would conciously not entangle someone's fist if they had claws, or entangle a sword being swung at him. So maybe a limitation on the Entangle of not against sharo objects?

Any thoughts?

Re: Entangle Damage Shield

Originally posted by Zan the Gamer

I am trying to construct a villain similar to X-Men's the Blob. I'm having a difficult time properly defining his ability to trap (Entangle) someone who attacks his fat (torso area, not arms, legs, or head) in melee combat. I read through the section on both Entangle and Damage Shield in the FAQ and I'm still not satisfied with my construct. Right now it looks like this:

6 D6 Entangle

Damage Shield

Continuous

Reduced END 0

No Barriers

Set Effect: Only Traps That Which Hits Him in Melee (Fists, Feet, Baseball Bat, etc.)

Does Not Prevent Use of Accessible Foci

It's still missing the fact that you don't "break" the entangle to break free, it requires more Strength than it has to hold you. It's also missing something to represent that he doesn't neccessarily take damage from attacks (since the Entagle is part of his physical being). He also has a Disadvantage of x2 Stun/Body from stabbing/slicing damage, so he would conciously not entangle someone's fist if they had claws, or entangle a sword being swung at him. So maybe a limitation on the Entangle of not against sharo objects?

Any thoughts?

Give the Entangle one body and make the damage shield selective. After all, supers don't always get trapped in the Blob's body when he gets hit. Give the damage shield feedback on the attacks to get out of the Blob's fat folds (Yech!:P ) so the Blob has to resist the damage. Of course, the Blob is really tough.

The question you need to ask yourself is: Does the Blob attack other people when when he is holding someone with his fat? If not, what you might be looking at here is the Blob grabbing someone with his fat and then doing a hold and punch combination as an MPA. You can buy that as follows: Extra Limbs (Fat), No fine Manip, Only to grab.

The Blob does a grab when punched with his Fat, and then does a STR hold to keep the person from getting away. And then on the next Phase Blob does Punches to his held foe, or simple just holds him in his fat, trapping him.

Cheap and simple.

Re: Not having gotten 5e yet... :(

Originally posted by John T

...is there any reason you can't buy Clinging, Usable Against Others, Damage Shield?

John T

You don't even need the "Usable Against Others" modifier to do this. Check out the Damage Shield option in the discussion of Clinging in the HERO 5E Rulebook.

And I fully agree, that is probably the best way to reflect Blob's special effect.

Instead of damage shield, could you build this as a triggered power that automatically goes off whenever someone hits him in the torso?

But that's what damage shield is for, it "goes off" whenever the character is hit...which is more valuable that Trigger. Come to think of it, the damage shield ALSO goes off when the character hits something...hmmm....

Hey.... I just had a thought about the Damage Shield debate...

I need to go read up on Trigger

Originally posted by Farkling

Hey.... I just had a thought about the Damage Shield debate...

I need to go read up on Trigger

The problem with using Trigger -" whenever hit in HTH" - vs. Damage Shield is the need to reset the Trigger. This can perhaps be bypassed by setting several Charges, but it will run out pretty quickly if you go up against Autofire attacks or are hit by multiple opponents in a small period of time - vs. the Damage Shield, which doesn't take any extra END/Charges whether you're hit once or 417 times in a given phase.

I got the idea from an article I've been studying in an issue of Digital Hero. It covers several new settings for the trigger advantage, such as auto-resetting, and how much time it takes to reset or use the trigger.

One of the really neat examples is a fencer who can automatically riposte after any attack he blocks. Can't remember which issue it is, though.

Depending on what options you take, it does end up looking and feeling like a damage shield. The article even discusses the similarities between the two.