Moving in a forest/hills...Looking for some thought on handling that environment.

azato

It appears that environmental movement rules pertain to modifiers to DCV and OCV. The question I have is, what about imposing movement penalties for such environments and allowing and Environmental Movement ability to negate it? If so, what would make sense.

Also, shooting in woods can be difficult as there are plenty of obstacles (trees) in the way. Waht would be an reasonable OCV penalty for shooting through woods (say -1/5 meters)? Or does that even make sense?

It is going to depend on how detailed you wish the terrain to be

1 would be to draw out every tree and bush and go from there

2 could have a general range mod add on to simulate the density of foliage(-1 or -2)

3 limit range of bows, as the tree canopy will foul up and long range shots(ala 300)

I am not drawing out every tree to model line of site for a number of reasons. The party will have vastly superior firepower but would like to give the natives a "home team advantage" in regards to terrain. The weapons will be firearms for the playing party, and bows for the home team.

Regardless of the specifics of the scenario, this is something I have thought about for awhile.

I think the 2/2 rule is very simple to remember and utilize ... and it also makes sense. A reduced maximum range is in order too..but it may not come into play.

Great stuff, guys!

Here are a few simple things you can do for obstructed areas. These are usable independently of each other.

Half Range: Simply halve the range category distances. This affects PERception as well as attack rolls and encourages combatants to get closer together.

Assumed cover: Instead of worrying about cover concretely, for ranged attacks beyond point blank range just assume anything that hits exactly or by 1 was fouled or deflected by intervening terrain / obstructions and subtract 1d3 damage classes from the attack.

Blanket Penalty: Just impose a flat -1 to all 3d6 resolutions. Except Climbing...because, obviously.

• 2 weeks later...