How to Build: MINIONS!

fr2itus

Hi all,

I would like to make an anti-hero who has a crew of minions to do all the skill based jobs (AKA Despicable Me).

Instead of buying then as diminuative Followers, I want it to be power based, not VP. I thought Duplication with limitations like Only for Skill Rolls, Always On, 0 END?

Since I'm relatively new to the new system (and the forum's search function fails 90% of the time) I was hoping the more experienced players could give me ideas how to build a multitude of semi useful, midget minions.

I am looking for a few effects:

Minions would be actual physical presences, not a mental effect, that can interact with the world.

They would 'solve' skill based problems, like sneaking into/around buildings, accessing data, inventing useless gadgets, holding/grabing foci.

They would have limited to no attacks, maybe a rocket or blaster that misfires most times,

And I did not want to use the VP, as it seem overly complicated and not allowed in this campaign. Tho MP framework for Duplication or Time warp/Teleport may work but I'm not clear how it would be written up as an effect.

Has anyone else tried to do this? Or what examples have others done?

Thanks again for help.

Good question, I think because they wont function completely independently.

They would only be around to help the antagonist (maybe hinder him too with some unluck rolls). But mostly just to make it funner or see if it can be done.

I think the minions' fanaticism would approach being an extension of the hero and not capable of independent thought or actions without direction.

I'll leave off why they look like little yellow pills.

Maybe something like this

My Minions!: (Total: 144 Active Cost, 30 Real Cost) Summon 16 25-point creatures, Expanded Class of Beings (Very Limited Group; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Misfire; +1/2), Slavishly Devoted (x4 as many tasks; +1 1/2), Time Limit (1 Day; +2) (144 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Week, Only to Activate, -2 1/4), Summoned Being Must Inhabit Locale (-1/2), Arrives Under Own Power (-1/2), Physical Manifestation (-1/4), IIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; Money - have to pay them in advance; -1/4) (Real Cost: 30)

You'll still have to write up each minion, or at least each minion type (Sneak, Grabber, Repairman, etc.) The Extra Time and Focus represents the recruiting process, but Trigger and Physical Manifestation represent the fact that they then stick around until given the first important order ("task") and can be attacked, restrained, etc. Time Limit: 1 Day is because even after expending all tasks they hang around and can be relatively effortlessly "re-summoned" if offered more money. "Misfire" is because minions can misunderstand orders or sometimes act prematurely.

edit: Another way

A Minion: (Total: 8 Active Cost, 2 Real Cost) Some Given Skill , Persistent (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Misfire, Trigger can expire (it has a time limit), Two activation conditions apply simultaneously; +1/2), Ranged (+1/2) (8 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Week, Only to Activate, -2 1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Time Limit (1 Week; -0) (Real Cost: 2)

Another Minion: (Total: 41 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Some Given Skill Set , Persistent (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Misfire, Trigger can expire (it has a time limit), Two activation conditions apply simultaneously; +1/2), Ranged (+1/2) (41 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Week, Only to Activate, -2 1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Time Limit (1 Week; -0) (Real Cost: 12)

In the long run, this might be more expensive as each Skill or set of Skills would be bought seperately

Lucius Alexander

The boss told me to change the palindromedary tagline so I did

Another way to buy them as part of the character

Minions: (Total: 50 Active Cost, 29 Real Cost) Extra Limbs (64) (5 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) (Real Cost: 3) plus Stretching 3m, x8 Noncombat, Persistent (+1/4), Does Not Cross Intervening Space (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (32 Active Points); Limited Body Parts (Extra Limbs; -1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) (Real Cost: 18) plus Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action to reset, Trigger can expire (it has a time limit), Misfire, Three or more activation conditions apply simultaneously; +1/2) for up to 15 Active Points of Any given Skill or Skill Set, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (10 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) (Real Cost: 7) plus Sample Skill Only Possessed by Minions 11- (3 Active Points); Limited Power Only Usable with Minions (-1) (Real Cost: 1)

Add more Skills if desired. Or just cut that out and the minions only have the character's own Skills. This gives the character "Extra Limbs" and the "Stretching" lets them be used up to 24 meters away (that can be bought up, or a Naked Advantage: Megascale added if you want to send minions on errands) while the Trigger lets you use a Skill without it taking one of your own actions.If the guy running the game is generous, you might even be able to apply the Trigger to 15 pts of STR and do minor strikes and grabs without taking up an action, but be aware that the way I've built this, the minions only have your OCV and DCV within 3 meters, beyond that they have half value.

Lucius Alexander

House of the Palindromedary

That is terrific. I'll look up the summoned rules more to see what other tweaks and limits it has.

One note I saw is that the summoned are disorientated for for a full phase after summoned. Does this count if they are around for one week?

Yes, but since they have been around a week the full phase disorientation happened a week ago...