Champions 101: a Youtube playlist

Boll Weevil

Hi, heroes.

I am putting together a Champions 101 presentation for some friends as well as my 11-yr old daughter who is suddenly very interested in superheroes, particularly Iron Man. I have a Powerpoint presentation for game mechanics that I will go through very quickly. My intent is to keep a lot of the nuts and bolts to myself and let them play as freely as possible. Included in my first night presentation, I would like to make a playlist on Youtube I can play to give them a feel for the flavor of a superhero fight. They have all seen the Marvel movie series but I want to select a few <1 minute clips that showcase brick tricks, unusual use of powers etc. Watching the final fight scenes in Iron Man or Avengers really says more about how to fight a Big Bad than "I want to shoot Durak with my 10d6 Blast". Spiderman movies are particularly good at showing how to really maximize a combat Phase.

Does anyone have a favorite scene or clip that shows just what a clever Champions player can do with a character sheet full of numbers and a cup full of dice?

Da Weevil

I have been hoping to write up the Amazo fight from Justice League Animated in HERO terms at some point interspersed with pics of Heroclix figs but I've just never got around to it. I'm very hesitant to add a youtube url to a forum thread as doing so has locked 2 threads that I know of. You can see the whole fight by using "justice league amazo fight" in the youtube search. It's sort of a big bad fight but also a cool display of a power-mimic.

The third and final cinematic advertising trailer for Sega's Captain America: Super Soldier video game contains the best concentrated Captain America fight sequence I've seen in any medium. Lots of fast-paced, innovative tactics.

Because of Hyper-Man's warning I won't put in a hyperlink to it here; but searching on YouTube for "Captain America: Super Soldier Trailer 3" should get you to it.

I know this might sound weird, but the fight between Undercover Brother and Mr. Feather toward the end of the movie does show a number of martial arts moves that can be translated into Champions terms.

Both make a half move at each other. Mr. Feather attacks with his HKA IIF, but Undercover Brother dodges, and then counter attacks with a Martial Strike. Mr. Feather goes down, but manages to throw Undercover Brother who breakfalls into a fighting position. Undercover Brother misses with another Martial Strike, and Mr. Feather manages an Offensive Strike kick.

Basic with John Travolta and Connie Nielsen has a nice examples as well. After Travolta tells Nielsen a secret he had been keeping, she Martial Strikes him, knocking him into the next room. He counters by Martial Throwing her, and she recovers with a Breakfall. He gets her in a Martial Hold, and is about to kiss her when she Fast Draws her pistol.

If your group hasn't already seen it yet, I highly recommend checking out Man of Steel. The battles between the Kryptonians are intense and super-fast (pun intended), and show numerous variations on brick fighting tactics, particularly the throwdown in Smallville.

There is a clip on YouTube which shows almost all of the Smallville sequence, although the video quality isn't good. Look for "Man of Steel - Superman v.s. Farora" (that's how the clip title spells it).