Follow + Rapid Attack

mhd

If I have a Block + Strike combination, can I do two strikes as a Rapid Attack, both qualifying as the Follow-Up maneuver? (e.g. with a two weapon cross block followed by left and right thrusts, or a neck grab plus two quick jabs to the nose)

As per the rules, I could do a Block +  Strike  + Strike with both strikes being the follow up if they're on different phases, of course. But I'm not sure if it's true (and balanced) for a combo attack. If not, would a Rapid Attack be possible, but only the first strike counting as the follow up?

If I have a Block + Strike combination, can I do two strikes as a Rapid Attack, both qualifying as the Follow-Up maneuver? (e.g. with a two weapon cross block followed by left and right thrusts, or a neck grab plus two quick jabs to the nose)

As per the rules, I could do a Block +  Strike  + Strike with both strikes being the follow up if they're on different phases, of course. But I'm not sure if it's true (and balanced) for a combo attack. If not, would a Rapid Attack be possible, but only the first strike counting as the follow up?

I may be misunderstanding you here, but the "follow" element is applied to the 2nd of the two attacks, so it would seem you are asking if you do a block can you Rapid Attack with two moves built with a "Must Follow Block" effect on them. In this case since a follow up maneuver can also follow itself I would generally say yes, but it would depend on the build of the power (im not certain that something munchkiny couldn't be built with this, and you have to watch that follow isnt used as a way to simply make a martial move cheaper in the first place. )

I think you mix two things/Martial Arts Elements up here:

Follow and Response

Follow (HSMA 97) must follow one of your maneuvers. Most obvious example is "Must Follo Grab". A Follow maneuver cannot occur in the same phase as the Maneuver that is required. But a Follow Maneuver can generally follow itself (so "Crush, must follow grab" actually means "Crush, must follow grab or previos crush").

It would think it is okay to chain multiple instance of the same maneuver into the same phase using Multipel Attack. If would even think it is okay to put the Initial Maneuver and the Follow Up ones into a single Multiple Attack. (Grab, Crush, Cursh).

Response (HSMA 100) must follow an enemies maneuver. By defintion I would say that excludes it from being used multiple times (unless the enemy keeps making the triggerign maneuver ever phase).

It would think it is okay to chain multiple instance of the same maneuver into the same phase using Multipel Attack. If would even think it is okay to put the Initial Maneuver and the Follow Up ones into a single Multiple Attack. (Grab, Crush, Cursh).

Well, HSMA 97 explicitly states that both the Follow-based maneuver and the maneuver it follows may not occur on the same phase, so the latter seems like a definite no-go.

Well, HSMA 97 explicitly states that both the Follow-based maneuver and the maneuver it follows may not occur on the same phase, so the latter seems like a definite no-go.

That would seem to indicate to me that neither a Follow nor a Response maneuver can occur in the same phase as the maneuver they are following / responding to.  

So I would rule that, no, you could not sweep / multi-attack two "follow" maneuvers due to the language of them not being allowed in the same phase.

But, then, I feel the Block / Counterattack setup - and other similar should-be-awesome MA combinations - is a bit weak.  If you abort to block, your counterattack likely won't occur until after the enemy is able to attack again - you lose your next phase, entirely, and in most cases lose the "benefit" of being able to attack before the blocked attacker on your next phase.  

I have thus house-ruled that Blocking only aborts 1/2 of your next phase if you are planning to do a counter-attack maneuver; you get the remaining half-phase to perform only a counter-attack maneuver on your next phase as normal, but lose the entire phase if you do not or can not use such a maneuver.  I'd probably have similar house rules for some other combinations as well, but they have never come up.

But, then, I feel the Block / Counterattack setup - and other similar should-be-awesome MA combinations - is a bit weak.  If you abort to block, your counterattack likely won't occur until after the enemy is able to attack again - you lose your next phase, entirely, and in most cases lose the "benefit" of being able to attack before the blocked attacker on your next phase.  

You could always declare a Block instead of Aborting. That would let you attack on your next Phase.