Terracide characters creation question

Theros

I started to create sample characters. I find that skill descriptions in templates are rather confusing.

Firstly I wanted to create Spacer/Conman (=Smuggler) combination.

In every template there are option at the end of skill list. "Choose one or choose one from list". Cost of that varies in different templates, but in conman template it is 9 points. With that 9 points you can choose one skill (9 points is rather expensive skill) or any perk or any contact. I think that choosing contact is better for 9 points, than paying 9 points from one skill. I am not sure if I understood this one right. Or is it so that if I choose one skills for 9 points, then that skill is better than 9+stat/5 ? So if I choose skill that uses intelligence and character int is 10. Then skill with 9 points will be 9+10/5= 11 + 6 = 17

How you have handled this in terms of game mechanics?

Don't forget you can choose more than one skill from that list, as long as the total cost is (from your example) 9 points.

This is correct. I double-checked the book; it says "Choose from list:" rather than "Choose one from list:"

Edited to add further clarification: Terracide uses standard skill costs for 6th edition Hero System. So most skills cost 3pts to buy.

Another tip from my campaign: if you're buying multiple templates, skills which appear in both templates may be counted towards completing both templates. So say you've got the Spacer template and at the end you're required to choose 9pts worth of skills. You chose Computer Programming, Gambling, and Combat Piloting for 3pts each.

The Con Man template allots 15pts to "Choose from list"; and Computer Programming, Gambling are available choices. Since you've already got those, you can consider 6pts on that list already picked and just pick 9 more. Done.

This is a good way to discount multiple templates which overlap, and give characters a few extra points for customization so they don't all end up looking too similar.