Critique a Character - Hardcase, Cyborg Super-Soldier

Kraven Kor

Just looking for a sanity check on a character.  This is the first character I made for a campaign set in the Champions Universe, and the only character I ever got to play for any length of time.

This is my most recent conversion of him to 6E, with the intent to (hopefully?) find a HeroCentral campaign to run him in.  

Any advice appreciated; things I did wrong, things that are cheesy or potentially overpowered, things I could do better, things I missed, whatever.  Thanks!

Note:  Ugh!  How do you guys get characters to post neatly here?  Used the HDv3 "Hero Boards with Background Fields" and it looks fine in the editor, but once posted, looks HORRIBLE.

Hardcase

*  Deleted, will repost shortly with adjustments and non-offensive name :(  *

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave up on trying to find a board friendly export to post into threads a long time ago.  I just export to html, save that to Hero Central and copy that LINK into the forum threads.  Then it just comes down to choosing your favorite html export format (which there are several to choose from).

Regarding the character.

I didn't read through the full description but the Always On Density Increase stood out.  I'm pretty sure that from 5e on it has been suggested that it's better to just build the core effects separately if they can't be turned off (instead of buying Body Affecting Powers like Density, Growth and Shrinking that cost END and apply 0 End, Persistent and Always On).

This is true; but building DE as separate powers bloats the character sheet a bit, even if you do it as a compound power.

Additionally, it seems "Always on DE" as individual powers ends up costing more as well - so what am I missing there to match cost?

6     Cybernetic Endoskeleton:  +10 STR (10 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Increased Mass; -1/2), IIF (-1/4)

1     Cybernetic Endoskeleton:  +2 PD (2 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Increased Mass; -1/2), IIF (-1/4)

1     Cybernetic Endoskeleton:  +2 ED (2 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Increased Mass; -1/2), IIF (-1/4)

2     Cybernetic Endoskeleton:  Knockback Resistance -4m (4 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Increased Mass; -1/2), IIF (-1/4)

Fairly sure I am missing something; unified power maybe?  Seems both right and wrong, since someone could drain my PD without it affecting the STR.  Linked?  

Always On seems wrong as well, once you break all the individual powers out.

Since you asked for people's honest opinions, here's my two cents' worth -- I'm mainly going to address various game mechanics issues; in my estimation, this character is going to require a considerable amount of reworking before we can evaluate his relative effectiveness:

1.) Most of the items in your "Cybernetic Enhancements" power cluster should not be defined as Foci, as per 6E1 377 -- "If removing a 'Focus' requires surgery (or some other lengthy and difficult procedure or Skill Rolls) or causes damage to the character, then the item in question isn't really a Focus".  That said, your GM might allow you to take the -1/4 version of the "Restrainable" Limitation on them, to reflect that his cybernetic systems can potentially be damaged and taken offline.  But you may want to ask yourself beforehand whether you want to set yourself up for that kind of vulnerability.

2.) This has been mentioned before, but Inherent Growth or Density Increase is no longer allowed for characters whose size or weight permanently differs from the human norm; see 6E1 446 for more details.

3.) Keep in mind that your Absorption effect will cap out at 2 Character Points (normally it would be 4 points, but it's halved because they're feeding into END and STUN), which may be less effective than you were hoping for -- the most the power can ever give you is a whopping 2 STUN and 5 END.  Remember also that, until those points would have naturally faded, you won't be able to use the power to heal additional damage (see 6E1 136).

4.) Special Powers (e.g.; Enhanced Senses, Skills) cannot be put in a Power Framework without special GM permission (as per 6E1 161); you're going to need a VERY generous GM to get away with most of the "Cybernetic Subsystems" Multipower.  If it were me, I would assume the GM would NOT bend the rules that much, and adjust the character accordingly.

5.) For the "Offensive Systems" Multipower, the "EMP-Restrainable" Limitation should only be worth -1/4 -- electromagnetic pulses are far less common than, say, Entangles or bear hugs.

6.) I don't see any mention of his OCV or DCV in his stats; even with those 3 general Combat Levels, he's going to be a sitting duck as well as have a hard time hitting anything.

7.) If he's recognizably a cyborg (to the point where he gets a DF Complication for it), why is the Focus-defined stuff Inobvious?

8.) If he's a professional soldier with decades of experience, why is he timid and unassuming enough to have a Presence of only 8?

Just in general terms, the character feels like he's trying to do a little too much, too soon in his career -- get him "street legal" and maybe pare down some of the bells and whistles (e.g.; his attacks simply aren't effective enough to justify all the points that are sunk into Autofire Skills), and it'll be easier offer to some advice as to how to ramp up his effectiveness.

Oh, and just as a matter of cultural sensitivity: you may want to rethink having an African-American hero named "Spade" -- just sayin'...

What is that Restrainable EMP disad supposed to mean?

Please explain?

That powers or effects with an EMP SFX will shut down those powers.

Since you asked for people's honest opinions, here's my two cents' worth -- I'm mainly going to address various game mechanics issues; in my estimation, this character is going to require a considerable amount of reworking before we can evaluate his relative effectiveness:

1.) Most of the items in your "Cybernetic Enhancements" power cluster should not be defined as Foci, as per 6E1 377 -- "If removing a 'Focus' requires surgery (or some other lengthy and difficult procedure or Skill Rolls) or causes damage to the character, then the item in question isn't really a Focus".  That said, your GM might allow you to take the -1/4 version of the "Restrainable" Limitation on them, to reflect that his cybernetic systems can potentially be damaged and taken offline.  But you may want to ask yourself beforehand whether you want to set yourself up for that kind of vulnerability.

2.) This has been mentioned before, but Inherent Growth or Density Increase is no longer allowed for characters whose size or weight permanently differs from the human norm; see 6E1 446 for more details.

3.) Keep in mind that your Absorption effect will cap out at 2 Character Points (normally it would be 4 points, but it's halved because they're feeding into END and STUN), which may be less effective than you were hoping for -- the most the power can ever give you is a whopping 2 STUN and 5 END.  Remember also that, until those points would have naturally faded, you won't be able to use the power to heal additional damage (see 6E1 136).

4.) Special Powers (e.g.; Enhanced Senses, Skills) cannot be put in a Power Framework without special GM permission (as per 6E1 161); you're going to need a VERY generous GM to get away with most of the "Cybernetic Subsystems" Multipower.  If it were me, I would assume the GM would NOT bend the rules that much, and adjust the character accordingly.

5.) For the "Offensive Systems" Multipower, the "EMP-Restrainable" Limitation should only be worth -1/4 -- electromagnetic pulses are far less common than, say, Entangles or bear hugs.

6.) I don't see any mention of his OCV or DCV in his stats; even with those 3 general Combat Levels, he's going to be a sitting duck as well as have a hard time hitting anything.

7.) If he's recognizably a cyborg (to the point where he gets a DF Complication for it), why is the Focus-defined stuff Inobvious?

8.) If he's a professional soldier with decades of experience, why is he timid and unassuming enough to have a Presence of only 8?

Just in general terms, the character feels like he's trying to do a little too much, too soon in his career -- get him "street legal" and maybe pare down some of the bells and whistles (e.g.; his attacks simply aren't effective enough to justify all the points that are sunk into Autofire Skills), and it'll be easier offer to some advice as to how to ramp up his effectiveness.

Oh, and just as a matter of cultural sensitivity: you may want to rethink having an African-American hero named "Spade" -- just sayin'...

1.  Any recommendations on similar limitations?  It is honestly a point-saving deal more than anything, and just meant to indicate that those powers are from a technological source that can be damaged or disabled or denied.  And I do kind of design characters with a "vulnerability" in mind; a kryptonite.

2.  The PDF version has them all split out, costing an additional point overall.

3.  That is actually intentional.  With it "as a defense" it is basically another 4 PD / ED vs. STUN, and will offset, but not fully restore, END costs.  Just a power designed to help him be "tireless."  And as it "Only Restores to Starting Values" there is no worry over the points fading; every time he gets attacked it will restore just a bit of his END.  Unless I am horribly misunderstanding the rules on "Only Restores to Starting Values."

4.  I think more GM's are coming around to allowing this, see the thread on Special Powers in Frameworks - most of the time it does not make sense as to why some powers can or can't be in certain frameworks beyond avoiding really abusive builds and such; I don't think anything in that MP is abusive.  All sensory or "out of combat" powers.  Obviously I would adjust with a given GM if they were adamant about it, but again, I'm trying to incorporate as much "bionic man" stuff as I can, while not making him an unstoppable power-house brick or a blaster who can take down Grond in a single shot.  Just having the enhanced senses and lifesupport would end up being 70ish character points if not in a framework of some kind.  He has high-ish defenses, 10 DC attacks but can hit 12 DC with the strength boost, and then a lot of utility stuff.

5.  All of the Offensive MP powers would be restrainable through normal means as well - all arm-mounted.  They *also* don't work with EMP but I am not asking for / needing a further discount for that given the rarity of it.  I only use the -1/4 version on the powers that are only restrainable through EMP.

6.  OCV / DCV is base 3, then 3 CSL's and martial maneuvers can get him to 7/8 CV.  Not sure where I would pull the points from to raise these but open to suggestions.  Note that I generally prefer lots of CSL's to raising base CV stat; habit from Heroic level games :D

7.  The DF means someone can easily tell he is not all human, unless he is wearing a fairly full-coverage disguise.  IIF on the powers is because, despite this, the cybernetics are well-hidden so far as what you can tell in combat; the arm cannon is concealed in the palm of the hand, not a giant gun-arm.  The wrist-blasters fold out, the blades are retractable, the armor is sub-dermal, etc.  He is not a metal man or covered in metal plates.  I figured IIF was a stretch already; much less OIF.

8.  Because he is now more machine than man.  The "real" Samuel is still in there, somewhere, and would have a higher PRE but mostly Hardcase has a very robotic personality.  

-----

The idea is for him to start out "Jack of All Trades" and then focus XP on bringing core powers up to par (raising the offensive MP and slots, higher defenses, etc.)

I totally get that I am trying to do too much, and can likely shave off this or that; but what I want or am trying to do is make a very well-rounded "bionic man" type character.  I am more interested in him having all the bells and whistles a cyborg would have (IR vision, eidetic memory, integrated HUD for bonus to skills, rangefinder, etc.) than I am on him having 60 STR.

On the name:  oO

I suppose I was not exactly making the connection to "spade" as a derogatory word for someone of African ancestry?  A quick Google search shows me how wrong I am...  my apologies.  

That powers or effects with an EMP SFX will shut down those powers.

1.  Any recommendations on similar limitations?  It is honestly a point-saving deal more than anything, and just meant to indicate that those powers are from a technological source that can be damaged or disabled or denied.  And I do kind of design characters with a "vulnerability" in mind; a kryptonite.

2.  The PDF version has them all split out, costing an additional point overall.

3.  That is actually intentional.  With it "as a defense" it is basically another 4 PD / ED vs. STUN, and will offset, but not fully restore, END costs.  Just a power designed to help him be "tireless."  And as it "Only Restores to Starting Values" there is no worry over the points fading; every time he gets attacked it will restore just a bit of his END.  Unless I am horribly misunderstanding the rules on "Only Restores to Starting Values."

4.  I think more GM's are coming around to allowing this, see the thread on Special Powers in Frameworks - most of the time it does not make sense as to why some powers can or can't be in certain frameworks beyond avoiding really abusive builds and such; I don't think anything in that MP is abusive.  All sensory or "out of combat" powers.  Obviously I would adjust with a given GM if they were adamant about it, but again, I'm trying to incorporate as much "bionic man" stuff as I can, while not making him an unstoppable power-house brick or a blaster who can take down Grond in a single shot.  Just having the enhanced senses and lifesupport would end up being 70ish character points if not in a framework of some kind.  He has high-ish defenses, 10 DC attacks but can hit 12 DC with the strength boost, and then a lot of utility stuff.

5.  All of the Offensive MP powers would be restrainable through normal means as well - all arm-mounted.  They *also* don't work with EMP but I am not asking for / needing a further discount for that given the rarity of it.  I only use the -1/4 version on the powers that are only restrainable through EMP.

6.  OCV / DCV is base 3, then 3 CSL's and martial maneuvers can get him to 7/8 CV.  Not sure where I would pull the points from to raise these but open to suggestions.  Note that I generally prefer lots of CSL's to raising base CV stat; habit from Heroic level games :D

7.  The DF means someone can easily tell he is not all human, unless he is wearing a fairly full-coverage disguise.  IIF on the powers is because, despite this, the cybernetics are well-hidden so far as what you can tell in combat; the arm cannon is concealed in the palm of the hand, not a giant gun-arm.  The wrist-blasters fold out, the blades are retractable, the armor is sub-dermal, etc.  He is not a metal man or covered in metal plates.  I figured IIF was a stretch already; much less OIF.

8.  Because he is now more machine than man.  The "real" Samuel is still in there, somewhere, and would have a higher PRE but mostly Hardcase has a very robotic personality.  

-----

The idea is for him to start out "Jack of All Trades" and then focus XP on bringing core powers up to par (raising the offensive MP and slots, higher defenses, etc.)

I totally get that I am trying to do too much, and can likely shave off this or that; but what I want or am trying to do is make a very well-rounded "bionic man" type character.  I am more interested in him having all the bells and whistles a cyborg would have (IR vision, eidetic memory, integrated HUD for bonus to skills, rangefinder, etc.) than I am on him having 60 STR.

On the name:  oO

I suppose I was not exactly making the connection to "spade" as a derogatory word for someone of African ancestry?  A quick Google search shows me how wrong I am...  my apologies.  

1.) Look closer, because I already cited one -- the -1/4 version of "Restrainable" would allow the cybernetics to be breakable like a Focus, without anyone being able to physically detach the parts.

3.) Yes, you ARE misreading the rules on Adjustment Powers -- see the example at the top of column 2 on 6E1 136.  Those "healed" points will fade away again, unless and until your natural Recovery would have restored the loss.  And again -- you don't get to keep Absorbing until your END and STUN are topped off again; the power, as written, can only provide a maximum of 2 temporary STUN and 5 temporary END.

4.) Good luck with that, because I sure as hell wouldn't allow it in any campaign I was running...if you want to get the effect of having different sensory "modes" that he can only use one at a time, try applying the "Lockout" Limitation instead -- it'll save you some points, and have the added advantage of being 100% legal.

5.) Ah...that part was a bit unclear -- good that you cleared that up.

8.) Keep in mind that Presence is more than just being charming or charismatic; it's also how fearless your character is, and how resistant he is to being startled or surprised.  Even if you don't want him to be suave and debonaire, you might at least consider buying extra PRE with the -1 Limitation "only to resist Presence Attacks".

I disagree that there was consensus in the Special Powers in Framework thread.  I was one of the few dissenters.  I get the 'common sense' arguments made but many of the others boil down to special effect arguments affecting mechanics (which exactly the opposite of how HERO was designed to work).

As I did in that thread I'll post the best example I can think of to show why it shouldn't be allowed here as well:  Superman

If this character seems overpowered in any way 'as is', then what do you think will happen when the points spent on all his sensory powers outside of his VPP are freed up when they are instead put inside the VPP?

1.) Look closer, because I already cited one -- the -1/4 version of "Restrainable" would allow the cybernetics to be breakable like a Focus, without anyone being able to physically detach the parts.

3.) Yes, you ARE misreading the rules on Adjustment Powers -- see the example at the top of column 2 on 6E1 136.  Those "healed" points will fade away again, unless and until your natural Recovery would have restored the loss.  And again -- you don't get to keep Absorbing until your END and STUN are topped off again; the power, as written, can only provide a maximum of 2 temporary STUN and 5 temporary END.

4.) Good luck with that, because I sure as hell wouldn't allow it in any campaign I was running...if you want to get the effect of having different sensory "modes" that he can only use one at a time, try applying the "Lockout" Limitation instead -- it'll save you some points, and have the added advantage of being 100% legal.

5.) Ah...that part was a bit unclear -- good that you cleared that up.

8.) Keep in mind that Presence is more than just being charming or charismatic; it's also how fearless your character is, and how resistant he is to being startled or surprised.  Even if you don't want him to be suave and debonaire, you might at least consider buying extra PRE with the -1 Limitation "only to resist Presence Attacks".

3.  I'll have to check into that.  That seems...  a lot of needless paperwork / tracking for what is ostensibly meant to be "healing."

4.  But why?  Again, see the "Special Powers in Frameworks" thread.  Why is it that Superman can have laser-eyes one phase, and double knock-back super-breath the next, but Hardcase can't have IR vision one phase and UV the next?  In combat, I am going to have the +3 PER and maybe one vision mode active; everything else is wholly utility powers.  Hardly game-breaking.  If someone could explain how I could use this MP in an abusive fashion, I'm all ears, I guess I just agree with those in the mentioned thread who make some very valid arguments, much better than my own, for why these limits often make little sense to many players and GM's.  Universal Translator in there is arguably the most abusive, but even there, the power itself is more at issue than the fact it is stuck in a framework (to me.)

8.  If I had the points, sure :D  I realize PRE is more than just "charm" and honestly wish it was easier to just use EGO rather than PRE to *resist* PRE attacks and such; so you could make someone who was low PRE but not "timid."

I disagree that there was consensus in the Special Powers in Framework thread.  I was one of the few dissenters.  I get the 'common sense' arguments made but many of the others boil down to special effect arguments affecting mechanics (which exactly the opposite of how HERO was designed to work).

As I did in that thread I'll post the best example I can think of to show why it shouldn't be allowed here as well:  Superman

If this character seems overpowered in any way 'as is', then what do you think will happen when the points spent on all his sensory powers outside of his VPP are freed up when they are instead put inside the VPP?

And this is totally true and valid; but the problem is more "superman" than the number of points.  IE. building superman is innately abusive since Superman is such an insanely overpowered character; especially in latter incarnations where he is, for all intents and purposes, a God.

A GM ruling that s/he would not allow the Universal Translator, for instance, is more concerned with what that entails than with how many points it costs.

And lastly on superman:

Big powers in a VPP / MP are far more abusive for point-saving than some of the enhanced senses.

It's fine to have 75 total points in a multipower giving you 8 different optional attacks of 50 Active Points and saving several hundred points by doing so...  but what?  You saved 2 points by sticking Nightvision into a VPP??  FOR SHAME!  :D

"Cybernetic Subsystems" - none of the entries being terribly combat-effective - MP costs 26 total points; would cost 62 total points if built as a list, using Lockout.

"Offensive Systems" MP costs 37 total points; would cost 175 total points - all offensive powers at 10 DC's or so - if not in a framework.

Yet the former is the one everyone says (and is correct in saying) is illegal.

Just funny :D

Ultimately, this is an argument you're going to have to hash out with your GM in whatever campaign this character lands in.  You've got your opinion on the subject, Kraven, and other people have theirs.

In your particular case, the Subsystems MP may not allow you to bludgeon anybody into submission with your calculating ability; but allowing Special Powers in general into Power Frameworks allows PC's to do an end run around major plot complications that adversaries have shelled out a lot of points for (e.g.; the villain buys no-Fringe Invisibility, which you counter with the sonar setting on your armor's sensory suite) at a very low cost to the hero (1-2 points for an MP slot).  It's not as abusive with an attack Multipower because the character has to make a much larger overall investment in points (maybe 50-60 points for the reserve, plus 5-6 pts. per slot), so there's less temptation to have a list of gimmicks that's as long as your arm that can short-circuit every possible contingency.  At least in the case of things like gadget pools, the character is still having to pay full price for that radio or set of IR goggles, rather than 1/10th the Active Point Cost that a series of fixed MP slots gets you.

I agree there and again would work with any potential GM to get "as close to where I want to be" without it being a munchkin build.  Again, I build in a kryptonite for all of my characters and only take powers that "fit the concept" - I do not do the power for every situation builds, at all.

I also have nothing in there for countering invisibility; that VPP would allow me to do "cyborg stuff" and circumvent *some* things, but not everything, nor would I be constantly adding stuff to do so.

And, again, it only saves some 35-ish points compared to the 140-ish points saved on the offensive MP.  With neither being of the "trump card for every bad-guy" in nature.

But yes, you are right, that is a discussion for a given GM or group.  And I would be all ears for a way to do it "legally" without devoting more points for sensory powers and lightning calculator than for my entire offensive MP combined.

I look at it more as a cost/benefit analysis -- if my OmniGoggles' sonar setting allows me to completely circumvent Nowhere Man's Persistent, No Fringe Invisibility for the cost of a single Real Point, I'm getting way too much bang for my buck -- particularly if I have an additional 10-15 other slots on top of that that let me take nearly every Talent or Enhanced Sense in the book, and can toggle between them for a Zero Phase action...

BTW -- I like the writeup for Superman, although I'd question the use of "Always On" for the various "Invulnerability" powers -- exactly how does NOT being able to be hurt penalize Superman, exactly?

What would some GM's think of a -1/4 Custom Limitation of "Cybernetics" - again, admitting it is a point-saver, while intending it to limit the powers in the sense that they can be damaged, disabled, or otherwise denied.  It is more or less the -1/4 "Restrainable" but with not every power being restrainable in the same way.  For instance, EMP would not disable his subdermal plating, but a power that turned metal brittle could.  

... I'd question the use of "Always On" for the various "Invulnerability" powers -- exactly how does NOT being able to be hurt penalize Superman, exactly?

Mainly it makes protecting his secret identity more difficult.  To a lesser extent it prevents simple medical procedures when he's seriously injured (like inserting an IV without a small amount of Kryptonite). 

I look at it more as a cost/benefit analysis -- if my OmniGoggles' sonar setting allows me to completely circumvent Nowhere Man's Persistent, No Fringe Invisibility for the cost of a single Real Point, I'm getting way too much bang for my buck -- particularly if I have an additional 10-15 other slots on top of that that let me take nearly every Talent or Enhanced Sense in the book, and can toggle between them for a Zero Phase action...

BTW -- I like the writeup for Superman, although I'd question the use of "Always On" for the various "Invulnerability" powers -- exactly how does NOT being able to be hurt penalize Superman, exactly?

I think everything is that same analysis; I guess my own analysis of my build here just differs from that of others.

Hardcase has the powers you would expect a cyborg to have; enhanced senses, a HUD analyzing what he sees and filtering / processing data, etc.  He is not "built to trump every situation" the way I have seen many characters:  Doctor Strange Wins.  Why?  Because @#$% you, MAGIC!"   :D

Mainly it makes protecting his secret identity more difficult.  To a lesser extent it prevents simple medical procedures when he's seriously injured (like inserting an IV without a small amount of Kryptonite). 

Sounds iffy to me at best, particularly since the power already has the Limitation that it automatically shuts off in the presence of Kryptonite or under a red sun.  I'd be more inclined to let it slide if I could think of a single instance of a published character who took a similar Limitation -- but still and all, it's a decent attempt, and could easily be fixed...