HERO for dummies

BlueCloud2k2

Just to throw gas on the fire, I've always adjudicated grabs, escapes, reversals, shoves, roots, and push-pull strength contests as opposed characteristics rolls w. ties going to the defender. You just treat additional DCs or +5 strength increments as +1 to the strength roll.

There have been lots of time were we have accelerated play a little, by making a quick char roll. And I like your idea, but it would take a lot out of the curve giving the 15 Str guy an advantage over the 10 Str guy. After all he is trice as strong and in a straight contested roll that would only work out to a 10-15% advantage or so.

(would take a little work for actual math and I am lazy so for now I will leave it at 12-15 :) )

My rule on this was a DEX roll for the TK'd person to grab onto something; if they could grab onto something, they could resist the TK (but still had to "abort" an action to do so in most cases.)

Otherwise, hello person floating in mid-air flailing about like it is going to do them any good :D

So in other words, like the reverse gravity spell from DnD 3.x?

What a bummer. Perhaps a sign at your local game store or a Barns & Nobles?

Closest Hastings is 35 minutes away, same for FLGS.

I'm planning on opening a Gaming and Comic-book shop in April of 2015. Definitely having a Bulletin Board for LFP/LFG. Not to mention having a sign-up sheet for monthly one-shot games so people can see what I'm selling.

BlueCloud, out of curiosity, where do you live?

Clinton, MO. The pickings were better when I was living in Warrensburg as it is a college town. There are gamers in the area, the problem is I work from 2 AM to roughly 8 AM in a bakery and sleep from noon to 8 PM. And right now I'm only getting 1 day off a week. The days off thing will be changing after the new year (we're going to be closed on Saturdays except for orders). My wife's nights off are Tuesday to Thursday nights (she works 10 PM to 7 AM at Walmart Friday Night through Monday Night).

Since gaming is something we do together, we have to find someone available in the evenings on those nights. And the pool of people available on those nights is very limited.

As I stated earlier, I have a couple of people in the area who are interested in playing Champions. But the problem is they don't have the right nights off. *sigh*

I have never had anyone complain about it and never found that, when the bell curve is taken into account, that it created unbalanced or unexpected results.

Which genres do you play most often?

I ask because this touches on a property of the Hero system that is seldom exploited or even recognized: that the system tolerates a great deal of messing around with the variances on the rolls (if it didn't, the standard effect rule wouldn't be feasible). The system doesn't break, it just does subtle things to what actions make the most sense in a given situation and to some extent the precise worth of the powers you buy. If you increase the variance, then there will be times where as the inferior contestant it is worth risking an action that didn't make sense before and as the superior contestant it isn't worth risking rolls you would have before. This would allow customization of the rolls for a particular genre so as to make outcomes more or less chancy. I've never seen it done, and the rules are written for a specific set of choices and don't make it clear how easy this is to do, but it certainly works.

The biggest obstacle, I suppose, is the fairly enormous inertia of hero players against fiddling with certain basic things they're used to.