Different printings of Champions 2nd edition

rravenwood

I'm still puttering around back in the musty archives... The following certainly isn't of world-shaking importance, but I'm curious nonetheless.  The copy of 2nd edition Champions (1982) that I own doesn't indicate which printing it is; I've assumed that it's a first printing.  In poking around the Web, I've run across this title page scan which shows the existence of a "Fourth Printing July 1983":

588px-Champions_%281st_Edition%29_Page_1

(This is clearly from 2nd edition, even though the source page - http://championsonline.wikia.com/wiki/File:Champions_%281st_Edition%29_Page_1.png - calls it 1st edition.  Going to the source page, BTW, will let you see a higher-resolution image.)

Additionally, the Hero Games address is different; my older printing has a Harbor Blvd., Belmont address.

This makes me wonder if there are any copies out there that indicate second or third (or fifth?) printings, but more importantly, if they made the effort to update this page to indicate that it was a fourth printing, did they also make an effort to fix any of the typos and pasteup errors that were present in earlier printings?  (Or did they merely make the change to this page because they primarily wanted to show their new address?)  If anyone reading this has a fourth printing copy, I'd be interested to know what it shows for the following (example text here quoted from my own copy):

• Page 19: The cost summary for Entangle shows "Cost = 5 pts. for 1d6 of Entangle" even though the Power description gives the correct cost of 10 pts. per die.
  • Page 19: The cost summary for Extra Limb doesn't exist, but is instead the correct cost summary for Entangle, giving "Cost = 10 pts. for 1d6 of Entangle.".
  • Page 56: (2nd column, 5th paragraph from top) "A character may do Haymakers with a Hand to Hand Killing Attack. He multiplies his STR by 1  before dividing by 15 to get dice of damage bonus."  It's pretty clear that a space was left for a "1/2" character that was forgotten or fell off the pasteup; it should clearly read "multiplies his STR by 1 1/2".

There are other typos, but I figure if they made any corrections at all in later printings of second edition, the above examples should have been resolved (particularly the Entangle / Extra Limb mixup).

Thanks!

Yes, I have a copy of this one! Looking at the pages you listed, all had been corrected:

• cost for Entangle shows "Cost = 10 pts. for 1d6 of Entangle"
  • Extra Limb has the correct & complete cost summary "Cost = 10 pts. for each extra limb etc"
  • pg 56 does have the '1/2' included; "He multiplies his STR by 1 1/2 before....."

Also, total length of my copy is 80 pages, just sayin' because the page number on 80 is a smaller font than the other 79 pgs.

Thanks for checking it out, stardogchamp!  :)  My copy is also 80 pages, with page 80's page number being a little smaller - I don't believe that any radical changes (rules changes) were made between different printings of 2nd edition, but you've confirmed that at least some of the mistakes were eventually corrected.  I wonder if an errata sheet was ever made available by Hero Games way back when...

The Wikia is wrong. That is the title page for the 2nd Edition rulebook. Second edition are Grey covered, and in the Copyright announcement says "Revised Edition Copyright 1982" on the titlepage near the bottom of the page. They are part of a boxed set that included Viper's Nest and the generic City crossroad play mat.

Nice to know that I have a First Printing (no printing is listed on my copy) It is a 2nd edition book.

The Wikia is wrong. That is the title page for the 2nd Edition rulebook. Second edition are Grey covered, and in the Copyright announcement says "Revised Edition Copyright 1982" on the titlepage near the bottom of the page. They are part of a boxed set that included Viper's Nest and the generic City crossroad play mat.

Nice to know that I have a First Printing (no printing is listed on my copy) It is a 2nd edition book.

This is clearly from 2nd edition, even though the source page - http://championsonline.wikia.com/wiki/File:Champions_%281st_Edition%29_Page_1.png - calls it 1st edition.

I did point out that the 1st edition attribution was wrong, but thanks for making sure that was understood :)

Just replied to the 1st edition thread as well. Wanted to note that this is the same 2nd edition that I mentioned there, and it does have a color cover. The grey-scale covers were in the boxed set that came out when they first released the revised (i.e., 2nd edition) rules.

I replied over there as well, but since the discussion has turned to 2nd edition, color covers, and 4th printing, any further replies should be made here to keep the threads on-topic :)

Just to summarize, Scott Baker has a color-cover version of 2nd edition that is a 4th printing.  Greywind has also mentioned that he has a copy of 2nd edition with a color-cover rulebook.  So, I'm wondering if the color-cover versions of 2nd edition were specific to the 4th printing, or had been introduced earlier.

My mention of the color cover for 2nd edition in the other thread is because many people think that only the 1st edition had the color cover.

I don't have any specific proof (i.e., I don't own any copies), but I don't remember the boxed set being around for too long. I would hazard a guess that the stand-alone (color cover) 2nd edition started with the 2nd printing.