+ / - Discusion on Nested followers

JmOz

So I have been working on my version of Batman recently, and the idea of allowing his followers to take followers occurred to me.  Obviously abusive.

But the idea, and the problem I was having (A problem that I hate "wasting" points, so having multiple followers should in theory all be the same level), would not go away.  So I kept thinking.

I do feel that there should be a way to get a discount on followers who are not as powerful as others...

An idea I had was to use 100% different duplications.  It is an idea I felt deserving exploration, so here is a thread.

I know there is a distinction, rules-wise, but what about taking his followers as contacts with the relevant adders (slavishly loyal, extremely useful skills, contacts of their own). This isn't as cheap or abusive as it might appear. In truth, aside from the classic "out on the town with robin" approach, most of Batman's associates aren't constant companions or even available all the time -- only when a particular story demands it. Even Robin is unavailable in many tales due to his own adventures, companions, and the like.

The Bat Family: Contact [Extremely Useful Skills or Resources +2, Own Contacts +1, Slavishly Loyal +4, Group x3] 11- (30 Points). And, if you want it at a 14- it will cost 48 points.

I may be off on the adder value of slavishly loyal, but even as a contact, its a relatively large line item.

This is certainly a very old idea in Hero. In some ways, it seems the system gets LESS flexible over time....

I remember that there was a proposal (not sure if it was canon in any edition) to be able to take, say, a 200 pts follower, +5 for the next follower, but "break down" the next follower, that is

40 pts for a 200 pt Follower +5 for a second

Treat the second Follower as, say

30 pts for a 150 pt Follower, +10 to have FOUR of them, equals 40 (cost of a 200 pt Follower)

"Break down" one of the 150 pointers

10 pts for a 50 pt Follower, +20 to have SIXTEEN of them, equals 30 (cost of a 150 pt Follower)

There's possibly a way to do this as "Summon" perhaps with No Conscious Control (player can't choose which if any show up for a given adventure...)

Lucius Alexander

This is certainly a very old idea in Hero. In some ways, it seems the system gets LESS flexible over time....

I remember that there was a proposal (not sure if it was canon in any edition) to be able to take, say, a 200 pts follower, +5 for the next follower, but "break down" the next follower, that is

40 pts for a 200 pt Follower +5 for a second

Treat the second Follower as, say

30 pts for a 150 pt Follower, +10 to have FOUR of them, equals 40 (cost of a 200 pt Follower)

"Break down" one of the 150 pointers

10 pts for a 50 pt Follower, +20 to have SIXTEEN of them, equals 30 (cost of a 150 pt Follower)

There's possibly a way to do this as "Summon" perhaps with No Conscious Control (player can't choose which if any show up for a given adventure...)

Lucius Alexander

According to 6E1 102 can apply the full "5 point doubling rule" to Followers.

So if you have 32 followers with highest on 200 points, you pay:

40 Points (200 point cap) + 25 (5 doublings per 6E1 448) for a total of 65.

You want to pay even less then that?

The rule is mentioned in my copy of 5E Character Creation handbook, so it propably was there since 5E.

Also note that there is overlap between Follower, Contact and DNCP with useful Skills. Pick wichever is the most signifant factor for the NPC.