Updating Flash (power)

Ninja-Bear

Hello again herophiles!

I got a question about updating flash from 1st to5th edition. Namely in 5threv, it recommends that flash dice should be doubled in value  to get roughly the same effectivenss when converting 4th to fifth edition.  Right now I'm converting an old character who has a flash in a multipower (it also has an area effect). The total dice of the flash is 7D6 and the multipower is 70 points. What Im curious is, how drastic of a change is the way flash now works in fifth?  Do I really need to double the dice for the same effect?  As of now, I bought it as 9D6 flash with explosion for 67 ACT pts.  (I choose the explosion because that same advantage is used on the other slot in the multi-grenande.)

As always,

Thanks in advance

Don't have anything before 5E. But as far as I heard some pre-5E version counted Flash damage in targets Phases instead of Segments (what is done in 5E+6E).

Superheroic tends to hav SPD's in the 5-7 range. Doubling it seems like the right approach to keep the result similar when switching from Phase counting to Segment Counting.

The change is caused by how Flash affects the character.  Instead of being flashed for the character's phases, the flash lasts for the number of Segments, independent of the character's SPD.  So instead of 4 Body Flash costing four actions, it lasts four segments - one or two actions for most supers.  Ergo the suggestion to double the number of dice.  Your 9d6 Flash will blind the central target for 3/4 of a turn, so it's pretty effective. 

Chris.