Mental SPD figured stat

lensman

Mental SPD:

(INT + EGO) / 10 +1

Max SPD is 12. Characteristic maxima would apply for Heroic games starting at 6, or could abandoned.

All Mental powers and powers bought with BOECV can only be used on Mental SPD phases.

I would apply this for a Psionic based game.

I wanted to reinforce the idea that Psionics are independent of physicality.

Judge its worthiness, tell me what you think.

Re: Mental SPD figured stat

Originally posted by lensman

Mental SPD:

(INT + EGO) / 10 +1

Max SPD is 12. Characteristic maxima would apply for Heroic games starting at 6, or could abandoned.

All Mental powers and powers bought with BOECV can only be used on Mental SPD phases.

I would apply this for a Psionic based game.

I wanted to reinforce the idea that Psionics are independent of physicality.

Judge its worthiness, tell me what you think.

Someone I know ran a psionics-heavy sci-fi game, and used a stat called PSY. EGOx2 = PSY. PSY was like END, but for mental powers.

You might have to consider upping EGO to 3 pts, like DEX, if it starts to figure into ECV, MSPD, PSY, etc, because it has become much more valuable.

You're going to have to increase the cost of Ego, and especially Int under this system. Ego would drop to 1.5 pts, and Int would drop to 1/2 pt effective cost for mentallists. You'll have tons of mentallists with high science, magic, or knowledge skills and monstrous perception rolls.

Re: Re: Mental SPD figured stat

Originally posted by Kristopher

You might have to consider upping EGO to 3 pts, like DEX, if it starts to figure into ECV, MSPD, PSY, etc, because it has become much more valuable.

Excellant observation.

I plan a suite of seondary controls

+1 EGO = 5 pts., that will do it I think

Gary:

Thanks I think I will increase INT

+1 INT = 3 pts.

If gaming with book followers, or creating new players::

Up EGO to 3 pts per

Add a Mental SPD characteristic

PSPD = (1+EGO/10) (Psionic Speed) +1 per 10 pts

Alternate 2::

If physical actions will be taking much lower priority in your psi-based games, then you could simply swap EGO and DEX, and have the SPD rating based on EGO. Let each character default to SPD for mental actions.

EGO = 3 pts per (determines OCV/DCV - Mental)

DEX = 2 pts per (determines PCV - Physical)

SPD = (1+EGO/10) +1/10 pts

Mere mortals will rarely have speeds over three without PSI training. Personnel trained in PSI will have the ability to focus and push the envelope. Include basic muscle control and biofeedback in the standard PSI training tactics, and you have a justification for increases in action.

And there's my two cents.

Re: Re: Re: Mental SPD figured stat

Excellant observation.

I plan a suite of seondary controls

+1 EGO = 5 pts., that will do it I think

Gary:

Thanks I think I will increase INT

+1 INT = 3 pts.

The higher cost on EGO and INT will strongly affect the other powers and skills (respectively) dependent on those. Mental Illusions, Mind Control, etc., will be easier as fewer characters will buy up their EGO; INT-based skills will suffer as INT is more expensive.

I'm fonder of Farkling's thoughts on the matter.

Another alternative is to change your formula for the SPD derivation, NOT the characteristics themselves, so as to eliminate the ripple effect. Taking your own numbers, you could simply indicate that it's ((INT/3) + (EGO/2.5))/10 + 1. This basically makes INT 1/3 value in relation to SPD (instead of you having to change INT to x3 cost) and EGO is also ratcheted up so that it fits your 1 EGO/5 points number.

Another thought, but not really what you asked - why not allow Mentalists to add to SPD with a limitation "only for mental actions" of +1/2 to +1? They get some SPD cheaper that way, the process is open to others (but you can GM-control who qualifies as a "Mentalist"), and it requires less substantive tweaking to the rest of the system (recosting EGO and INT becomes unnecessary). You can even allow characters to sell off their "regular" SPD and cash in on this limitation if they so apply to buy Mental SPD up. This doesn't address that higher-EGO/higher-INT characters go more though, which may not work for you, I understand.

zornwell

Thanks for, {searching for adjective} insight.

Yes much better to reduce th ecost of figured SPD than increase th ecost

While reading your and Farklings posts, I had an idea.

I should find some wayt to make stats figured from the powers, instead of the other way round.

Farkling

Thanks for the 2 cemts. makingme think in new ways.

Re: Mental SPD figured stat

Mental SPD:

(INT + EGO) / 10 +1

Just making sure I understand this properly. If I have a regular speed of 4 (Dex based, phases 3,6,9,12) and a mental speed of 6 (phases 2,4,6,8,10,12), does that mean I could act in phases 2,3,4,6,8,9,10,12 with non-ego based powers being able to act on 3,6,9, &12? If this is the case then You could end with players effectively having a much higher speed then they actually have.

Stone:

Yup, that is th eidea.

Physical actions: ie runing, firing a weapon, piloting, etc. would happen on phases 3 6 9 12.

Mental Powers ie MInd Control, Telepathy, Psionic Projection, Clairvoyence, BOECV attacks happen on phases

2 4 6 8 10 12

Two concurrent SPD tracks

I prefer this idea to the limited Speed stat because I think it lends itself to the genre better and I don't want to have to overcomplicate theLimits you have to keep track of

Stone:

Yup, that is th eidea.

Physical actions: ie runing, firing a weapon, piloting, etc. would happen on phases 3 6 9 12.

Mental Powers ie MInd Control, Telepathy, Psionic Projection, Clairvoyence, BOECV attacks happen on phases

2 4 6 8 10 12

Two concurrent SPD tracks

I prefer this idea to the limited Speed stat because I think it lends itself to the genre better and I don't want to have to overcomplicate theLimits you have to keep track of

The increased SPD may create issues in terms of the fact that Mentalists in particular could do things like Ego Attack, HTH Attack, Ego Attack, Recover, etc.. They will be more powerful in a fairly dramatic fashion, unless non-Mentalists will get some equivalent extra actions. And in either scenario, people are going to burn through END and charges much faster.

If I may offer a suggestion - make the character's SPD the greater of the two numbers. Alternately, if you realy want lots of flexibility in movement AND you don't mind if Mentalists get all their attacks in earlier (which still may be an issue), you could let players take the appropriate actions on these phases UP TO the MAX of the 2 SPD characteristics.

Just some ideas. It's your game.

What if you just raise the cost of EGO from 2 to 3, then for your EGOist characters just use EGO instead of DEX to figure SPD. I know this is an optional rule already (SPD based on EGO), but this way it kinda balances out the costs and you don't have to do any major work when it comes to determining phases.