Having allies immune in something like Change Environment?

Tedology

Hello all,

I'm wondering how I'd go about having a character's allies/team immune to the effects in something like Darkness, or Change Environment.

Would I use the Selective Target modifier?

For example, if I wanted a storm-controlling villain to have his/her weather effects to happen to everybody BUT his/her fellow villains/agents, etc...

Thanks much!

Ted

I wonder if this is the right mechanic.

I'd like to hear more about the SFX to understand how it maneuvers around good guys but hits bad guys. It is avoiding them by some inherent effect of the power, or is it more about how fine-tuned the character can control the power?

Consider looking at Area of Effect Line. I may be mistaken, but I think you can alter how the line is laid down , like with bends and things, to pick the hexes it hits. If this were a "tornado tendril" sort of thing, that the character weaves in and out among combatants, maybe this would make more sense.

By official rules as written, you'd need Selective to control who it targets, but that still leaves the possibility of it missing the intended target.  Some GMs will allow or house rule Personal Immunity Usable by Others at Range as a compound power.

Chris.

Well, I'm the GM and I guess I could allow it, seeing as it's an NPC/Villain....but I want to be able to justify it.

How would I pay for the Personal Immunity, Usable by Others, at Range. Would that all be a combined modifier?

I wonder if this is the right mechanic.

I'd like to hear more about the SFX to understand how it maneuvers around good guys but hits bad guys. It is avoiding them by some inherent effect of the power, or is it more about how fine-tuned the character can control the power?

Consider looking at Area of Effect Line. I may be mistaken, but I think you can alter how the line is laid down , like with bends and things, to pick the hexes it hits. If this were a "tornado tendril" sort of thing, that the character weaves in and out among combatants, maybe this would make more sense.

Rebar, it would be the latter: the bad guy would have that fine of control over the weather.

If it is for minions/teammates, build them a piece of equipment that neutralizes the character's power effect on them. Dark-O makes darkness. Equip the rest with goggles that only pierces Dark-o's darkness.

That's a really good idea, Greywind! If the Change Environment reduces perception, I could have the villain's teammates/whoever have +PER, etc. :)

I guess I was just hoping there was a way to have it so that it could be selected each time it's used (even if the person/people don't have a Focus).

But I hadn't thought of this...so it may just work!

Thank you for the idea. :)

If it is for minions/teammates, build them a piece of equipment that neutralizes the character's power effect on them. Dark-O makes darkness. Equip the rest with goggles that only pierces Dark-o's darkness.

I used that build for Guardian's glitterbombs. Naked Advantage: Personal Immunity, Usable by Others, Focus.