How do you manage "loophole" powers?

Echo3Niner

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do I handle "Loophole" powers? Easy. As a GM, all characters must be approved by me. If I don't approve, it's a no go. I don't approve powers that will make the game less fun to play for anyone involved myself included. I want "characters" in my games, not "power builds on a sheet". Nuff said.

Perhaps you didn't read from the beginning?

This is NOT an issue of someone attempting to take advantage of the rules and figure out a crazy, game altering power; it was a case of my wife making a power, with my help yet, which did more than I bargained for, and I was trying to figure out how to manage it.

I'm hoping for a bit more roleplaying in the next game, as they have so far been direct fights, as this really is a play test; but, to keep the players engaged (even in a play test), I'm going to try to have a bit more story in the next one, and a little less dice rolling.  I will have some, as the point here is to see how the game plays, but this time I'm likely going to have a bunch of low powered villain controlled drones, so we'll see how the characters work against a bunch of low-powered opponents.

Glad to hear y'all had fun with it.  Much like SR (which I'm also pretty well acquainted with), one thing I think helps with HERO is to maybe not look things up mid-fight unless you really need to -- I prefer to scribble questions down in my GM notes (or have the party bookkeeper do it), handwave an answer for the moment, and keep the dice rolling and adventure moving.  If you're running these specifically as "test sessions," though, I can see why you'd rather hit the brakes and find out the right answer right now. 

Yes, at this point we're really "play-testing" the game, so I and my players can learn (relearn in my and one of my player's case) the game and to figure out how to make the game run well with my larger group.

Also, high-five to your daughter for the awesome usage of a badass teleport/gate ability.  Even if it hadn't come with a tremendous clobbering at the end, just hanging up a bad guy for several actions like that is a good way to get your money's worth (much like using Telekinesis to just lift an enemy brick, and then safely ignore 'em for a while). 

Yes, it was cool that she kept him out of combat for 2 or 3 (can't remember) of his phases, you are right, that alone was cool.

On the topic of campaign limitations, what my own home group does is stick by the suggested ones...except.  If someone's hell-bent on being really crazy strong, we let 'em pick that one thing to override the starting limitation over.  If someone really wants to be a one-trick pony with a really strong eyeblast, fine, if they want to really run or fly at ridiculous speed, fine, yadda yadda yadda.  Everyone stays in the mid-range of the campaign limitations, but then is allowed to campaign for their one awesome thing where they can sink a ton of points if they want to.  We've never had a problem with everyone feeling samey-samey, or feeling like a bunch of cardboard cut-outs, or anything like that.  It's what worked for us, at least!

Yes, I have come to this conclusion as well.  In our discussion of power caps, I like the 100 AP's, but with the caveat that the characters "main" power can maybe be 150 AP's.  At least that's where I'm at this moment.

How do I handle "Loophole" powers? Easy. As a GM, all characters must be approved by me. If I don't approve, it's a no go. I don't approve powers that will make the game less fun to play for anyone involved myself included. I want "characters" in my games, not "power builds on a sheet". Nuff said.

I have a character called "Justice". Kind of a Punisher/Scourge homage. Characters get out of line, the loophole gets plugged with a lot of lead.