Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uthanar

Uthanar Character Builds

Something I have long enjoyed at the Mutants & Masterminds boards is that they have a number of very dedicated individuals who work up lots and lots of characters from the comic books into the system.  Here at the Hero Boards we have a few people who do builds once in a while as conversions from the comics, and a few other resources that you can track down if you scramble around for them.  

I find the builds to be a very helpful thing in learning about the system, figuring out how to construct your own characters, and generally having a good time.  

I don't think that I will ever be able to be as prolific as the people that I see doing it on AtomicThinkTank or now RoninArmy, but I wanted to start putting up some of my builds.  

These characters are primarily designed to be playable as characters for 6E.  So most will be 400 point characters, though some characters will be written up with higher point design.  As a Marvel and X-Book fan, I will be focusing on those, but they will likely be out of date to current version since I have not read many comics post 2000.  

Marvel Comics

X-Men

Angel

Angel (Speed 5)

Beast

Beast (Speed 5)

Colossus

Cyclops

Havok

Iceman

Marvel Girl

Polaris

Professor X

post-9040-0-96160700-1421263875.jpg

Angel
Warren Kenneth Worthington III

Characteristics
15 STR (Real Cost 5; Roll 12-; HTH Damage 3d6;  END [1])
20 DEX (Real Cost 20; Roll 13-)
20 CON (Real Cost 10; Roll 13-)
15 INT (Real Cost 5; Roll 12-; PER Roll 12-/16-)
13 EGO (Real Cost 3; Roll 12-)
15 PRE (Real Cost 5; Roll 12-; PRE Attack: 3d6)
7 OCV (Real Cost 20)
6 DCV (Real Cost 15)
3 OMCV (Real Cost 0)
3 DMCV (Real Cost 0)
4 SPD (Real Cost 20; Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12)
13 PD (Real Cost 7; 13/24 PD; 4/15 rPD)
9 ED (Real Cost 5; 9/20 ED; 2/13 rED)
15 REC (Real Cost 11)
50 END (Real Cost 6)
14 BODY (Real Cost 4)
42 STUN (Real Cost 11)

Movement
Running 8m/16m (Cost -4; END [1])
Swimming 2m/4m (Cost -1; END [1])
Leaping 4m (Cost 0; 4m forward, 2m upward)
Flight 24m/192m

Characteristics & Movement Total: 142

Powers
10 Aerial Adaption: (Total: 10 Active Cost, 10 Real Cost)
    Life Support  (Expanded Breathing: High Altitude; Safe in Intense Cold) (Real Cost: 7)
    Sight Group Flash Defense (3 points) (Real Cost: 3) - END=0
11 Angel Wings: (Total: 12 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost)
    Extra Limbs  (2), Inherent (+1/4) (6 Active Points) (Real Cost: 6)
    Stretching 4m, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (6 Active Points); no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4) (Real Cost: 5) - END=0
12 Eagle Eyes: (Total: 12 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost)
    +4 PER with Normal Sight (Real Cost: 4)
    +16 versus Range Modifier for Normal Sight (Real Cost: 8) - END=0
9 Protective Skin: Resistant Protection (4 PD/2 ED) - END=0
8 Standard Superhero Costume: Resistant Protection (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Requires A Roll (14- roll; Must be made each Phase/use; -1/4) - END=0
5 Trained by Professor X: Mental Defense (5 points total) - END=0
54 Winged Victory: (Total: 81 Active Cost, 54 Real Cost)
    +2 DCV (10 Active Points); Linked (Flight; -1/2) (Real Cost: 7)
    Flight 24m, x8 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Inobvious to Hearing Group; +1/4), No Turn Mode (+1/4) (59 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2) (Real Cost: 39) - END=2
    +2 with all Agility Skills (12 Active Points); Linked (Flight; -1/2) (Real Cost: 8) 

Powers Total: 109

Martial Arts
12 +3 HTH Damage Classes
4 Fast Strike:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, 8d6 Strike

Aerial Combat
5 1)  Flying Dodge:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove
5 2)  Flying Grab:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 40 STR for holding on; FMove
5 3)  Passing Strike:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, 6d6 +v/10; FMove
5 4)  Passing Throw:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 6d6 +v/10; Target Falls; FMove
4 5)  Wing Block:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 6)  Winged Escape:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 45 STR vs. Grabs

Martial Arts Total: 44

Skills
10 +2 CSL with Aerial Combat
4 +2 CSL with Drag and Drop
8 +2 SL with Interaction Skills
3 Acrobatics 13-
3 Breakfall 13-
5 Bureaucratics 13-
5 Charm 13-
3 Conversation 12-
3 High Society 12-
3 KS: College Educated 12-
3 Oratory 12-
5 PS: Business 14-
3 Shadowing 12-
3 Stealth 13-
5 Teamwork 14-

Skills Total: 66

Perks
15 Filthy Rich: Money  

Perks Total: 15

Talents
12 Heroic Luck: Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)
6 Handsome: +2/+2d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)
6 Wings of an Angel: +2/+2d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)

Talents Total: 24

Complications
15 Arrogant:  Psychological Complication (Common; Strong)
20 Code Against Killing:  Psychological Complication (Common; Total)
15 Code of X:  Psychological Complication (Common; Strong)
15 Professor X:  Hunted Frequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Watching)
10 Mutant:  Distinctive Features (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Technology Or Major Effort)
25 Mutant Hating Groups:  Hunted Frequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Harshly Punish)
10 Public Identity:  Social Complication Infrequently, Major
10 Sucker for a Pretty Face:  Psychological Complication (Common; Moderate)
15 Wings:  Distinctive Features (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

Complications Points: 135

This would be Angel as I see him up to his transformation into Archangel.  He is a skilled Martial Artist archetype, but nothing special until he can take off into the air.  When he is in the air he should be fairly hard to deal with.  Either he can distract the opponents into wasting their time with him through use of his Flying Dodge and good DCV, or he can harry them using his speed and martial abilities.  One dangerous thing that he can do is the Drag and Drop if he has a teammate to work with that is willing to deal with the consequences.  Beast is not a bad option in his normal group, but if he can get Peter Rasputin off the ground and let Colossus land, it really can be a dangerous duo.  From what I could find, Angel is able to get Peter off the ground in normal form, but not as Colossus.  A 15 Strength seemed to accomplish that and allow him to Drag and Drop a reasonable amount of weight.  

All of that sad, he is never going to be one of the more dangerous X-Men, and instead should be a team player.  A lot of the powers that he gets later on in the comics are not represented here (Healing Blood).  However, he is a fairly skilled member of the team in social as well as combat situations.  This should be a fairly useful boon to a group of heroes at various times, and his combination of Filthy Rich with High Society should allow him to blend in with the higher echelons when needed.  

The biggest point of contention that I had when putting Angel together (other than where to put some excess points) was giving him No Turn Mode on his flight.  I ended up using that Advantage on his flight because he is shown in many comics as outmaneuvering other strong fliers with ease.  It could be represented with MSLs, but it seemed easier to me for someone at the table to show aerial superiority in the fashion that Angel has with No Turn Mode.  

Edit: 1/15/15 to bring Angel's speed down to 4.  This increased his PRE skills, Wings of an Angel, Teamwork, Charm, Bureaucratics, and a few remaining points were distributed to Characteristics.  

post-9040-0-96160700-1421263875_thumb.jpg

Angel.hdc

Nice build. 

One thing I would caution against is the temptation for SPD inflation.  If you give Angel a 6 SPD what do you give Quicksilver?  When I converted the JLA (beginning versions on 400 points) I gave everyone a 4 SPD except for The Flash who I gave a 6 SPD.  Setting that scale up front was key in getting everyone to scale together.

post-9040-0-09155300-1421272263.jpg

Beast
Dr. Henry "Hank" Phillip McCoy

Characteristics
43 STR (Cost 33; Roll 18-; HTH Damage 8 1/2d6; END [4])
28 DEX (Cost 36; Roll 15-)
25 CON (Cost 15; Roll 14-)
23 INT (Cost 13; Roll 14-; PER Roll 14-)
15 EGO (Cost 5; Roll 12-)
15 PRE (Cost 5; Roll 12-; PRE Attack: 3d6)
7 OCV (Cost 20)
8 DCV (Cost 25)
3 OMCV (Cost 0)
3 DMCV (Cost 0)
4 SPD (Cost 20; Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12)
28 PD (Cost 26; 28/39 PD; 0/11 rPD)
19 ED (Cost 18; 19/30 ED; 0/11 rED)
15 REC (Cost 11)
50 END (Cost 6)
13 BODY (Cost 3)
40 STUN (Cost 10)

Movement
Running 10m/20m or 20m/40m (Cost -2; END [1/2])
Swimming 2m/4m (Cost -2; END [1])
Leaping 10m (Cost 3; 10m forward, 5m upward)

Characteristics Total: 245

Powers
7 Firm Grip: Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); Requires some purchase (not smooth glass or steel) (-1/4), Cannot Resist Knockback (-1/4) - END=0
5 Four on the Floor: Running +10m (10m/20m total) (10 Active Points); Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (Requires both hands; -1) - END=1
5 Prehensile Feet: Extra Limbs  (2) - END=0
5 Superhero Briefs: Resistant Protection (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points); Requires A Roll (10- roll; Must be made each Phase/use; -1 1/4), OIF (-1/2) - END=0
5 Trained by Professor X: Mental Defense (5 points total) - END=0

Powers Total: 27

Martial Arts
Beast Bounces and Blitzes Bad Guys
5 1)  Flying Dodge:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove
5 2)  Flying Grab:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 53 STR for holding on; FMove
5 3)  Flying Throw:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -2 DCV, Grab Two Limbs;  8 1/2d6 +v/10; Target Falls; FMove

Martial Arts Total: 15

Skills
6 +2 CSLs with BB&BBG
12 +1 Overall SL
3 Acrobatics 15-
3 Breakfall 15-
3 Computer Programming 14-
3 Contortionist 15-
5 Cramming 
3 Electronics 14-
3 Hoist (Intellect Skill 9+INT/5) 14-
3 Inventor 14-
3 KS: PhD 14-
3 KS: Well Read 14-
2 PS: Musician 11-
3 PS: Scientist 14-
3 Research (Intellect Skill 9+INT/5) 14-
3 Systems Operation 14-
3 Tactics 14-
3 Teamwork 15-

3 Linguist
1 1)  Language:  Arabic (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)
0 2)  Language:  English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)
1 3)  Language:  French (completely fluent; English Similarity) (2 Active Points)
1 4)  Language:  German (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)
1 5)  Language:  Japanese (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)
1 6)  Language:  Latin (completely fluent; English Similarity) (2 Active Points)
1 7)  Language:  Russian (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)
1 8)  Language:  Spanish (completely fluent; French Similarity) (2 Active Points)

9 Scientist (APG System)
3 1)  Science Skill:  Biochemistry 17- (6 Active Points)
0 2)  Science Skill:  Biology 14- (3 Active Points)
0 3)  Science Skill:  Chemistry 14- (3 Active Points)
0 4)  Science Skill:  Genetics 14- (3 Active Points)

Skills Total: 89

Talents
3 Ambidexterity (no Off Hand penalty)
2 Blue & Fuzzy: +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. those that like that sort of thing)
12 Heroic Luck: Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)
3 Lightning Calculator
4 Speed Reading (x10)

Talents Total: 24

Complications
5 Big Words and Intellectual Quotes: Distinctive Features:  (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
15 Blue and Fuzzy: Distinctive Features:  (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
20 Code Against Killing: Psychological Complication:  (Common; Total)
15 Code of X: Psychological Complication:  (Common; Strong)
15 Mutant: Distinctive Features:  (Not Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable Only By Technology Or Major Effort)
25 Mutant Hating Groups: Hunted:  Various Mutant Hating Groups Frequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Harshly Punish)
15 Professor X: Hunted:  Frequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Watching)
15 Public Identity: Social Complication:  Frequently, Major
15 Scientific Curiosity: Psychological Complication:  (Common; Strong)
10 Wise-Cracker: Psychological Complication:  (Common; Moderate)

Complications Points: 150

Beast as he would be before getting morphed back to human looking back in early X-Factor.  This is also pretty usable for him after he gets back to that look, though they started dealing with him having claws at that point, which are not represented here.

He is a Brawling Brick/Martial Artist hybrid that focuses on a fighting style involving a lot of movement even though he does not have excessive movement to use.  It fits with the image that he has in the comic books of bouncing across the field.  In notes about him, it says that he has a very unique combat style.  While I simply used Hypercombat, I named it after him. 

His skills made him a lot more expensive than I hoped for, and made me avoid some of the other things that aren't as core to him.  All said and done though, he is "one of history's leading masters" in BioChemistry and "expert" in many other sciences and academics (According to our Skill Role Table information).  I think those are a bit low, but squeezing in on the 400 points they work pretty well.  I think that his PS: Scientist should cover most basic science applications.  

His regular defenses are fairly high, but his resistant defenses are low.  This goes with information that he can take punches without any worry (even from super powered enemies), but knives and bullets are something that he does not have extra resistance to.  Sadly, the costume that he is given is just underwear.  So his costume has a much lower activation roll than most other heroes.  Even with those notations, the old FASERIP write ups of Beast have him as the lowest Endurance character out of the original X-Men.  So I did not move his Stun up to astounding levels but left him as being able to shrug off a lot of hits with his defenses.  

In dropping his Speed to a 4, one thing I noticed is that I thought much less of Flying Dodge.  When he was a 6 I figured that he would use it judiciously, as is shown in the comics.  However at the 4 and getting tied up with a lot of other folks I worried more about his starting DCV let alone the penalties that his chosen fighting style provide him.  To balance that out I gave him an Overall Skill Level as well as 2 CSLs in his fighting style.  He should at least be able to monitor his own defense and offense like that, and good use of his FMove options should put him into places where he isn't constantly worried.  

Edit: When dropped Speed to 4 I gave him an OSL, 2 CSLs with his fighting style, adjusted his movement, provided him Hoist and Research, added PS: Scientist (missed that one earlier).  Minor characteristic changes occurred. 

post-9040-0-09155300-1421272263_thumb.jpg

Beast v3.hdc

Thanks a lot Hyper-Man. 

The speed issue is something that I have been wondering about.  I have thought about doing a general 4-6 range, and look at Quicksilver at 8.  

Powerhouses I look at 4 (Colossus), while Energy Projectors and similar are 5 (Cyclops), and then fast characters were 6 (Beast and Angel).  

I kept trying to move some characters lower as I worked on them, but they kept pushing up.  Havok for instance was one that I wanted to end up at a 4, but he just elevated to a 5 due to fear that he would be pulled down too far when he needed to abort for defense.  

Speed is something I love in Hero System, but it is also something that I agonize over trying to get the right feel for.  I know that when I was running Champions for my players they all wanted to elevate their own speeds because they kept saying they felt like they were not doing enough.  I was looking at a range that I thought would be acceptable to them as players.  That doesn't mean that you are not right on it.  

Thanks for the insight, and I really appreciate giving me some feedback on it.  Will be looking at it some more as I go forward.  

Nice build. 

One thing I would caution against is the temptation for SPD inflation.  If you give Angel a 6 SPD what do you give Quicksilver?  When I converted the JLA (beginning versions on 400 points) I gave everyone a 4 SPD except for The Flash who I gave a 6 SPD.  Setting that scale up front was key in getting everyone to scale together.

One way to sell a lower average team SPD to players is to explain it makes END usage easier as everyone will be getting more Recoveries.  END usage with a 6 SPD is 50% higher per Turn than a 4 SPD.  I try very hard to build characters that can sustain combat effectiveness for at least 2-3 Turns.  Raising SPD values too high can make this extremely difficult or just necessitate dropping END usage which totally blows up some character builds or requires total re-writes.  It also eliminates one of the coolest features of HERO - the ability to PUSH.

It is a similar thought to other things that I have had.  In a lot of the characters that I have seen put together they feel to me like they have inflated Characteristics in certain regards.  If 20 is the 'human' max, would these individuals have such high stats in areas that have nothing to do with their powers?  I see builds where different characters have Dex or Str that is far more than the individual has IMO, and the same can be said for Speed probably too.  

On the other hand, one of the appeals of Hero is that some characters can go more often than others without being a speedster.  It provides a unique approach to each individual.  

If they just want to be able to attack more often then Rapid Attack and Multiple Attack are worth a second look.

Rapid Attack 

A character with this Combat Skill has a heightened ability to move in combat. He can make a Multiple Attack as a Half Phase Action instead of a Full Phase Action.  From 6E2 p73

Not to restart the old argument, but 20 isn't the human max. When you see builds with stats "more than the individual has", keep in mind that that is the opinion of the person that made the character, in comparison to yours. There may be reasons why they set the stats there. I personally build to my campaign standards. This will cause some to be seen as stat inflation. I am also still working from 5th. That also seems to make a difference.

Love Marvel characters, and what you're doing. Am and will download all Marvel charaters, however, I too think the speed is high, and like others have said, need room to go for characters like Quicksilver and others who's primary powers are speed related.  But if they are to your liking, have at it! I can always cut it down to what I like after downloading the hdc file!  Just saying!

Keep up the good work!

Even the Characteristic Maxima rule did not make 20 a hard cap. I just established a point at which costs double when exceeded.

Maximum Human stats are a campaign specific thing.

They are not something baked into the core Hero System rules.

See this excerpt from the 5e Champions book:

post-2288-0-82363600-1419827224.jpg

Characters like Captain America would be firmly in the Legendary category. 

Some real world examples might be Bruce Lee (DEX) or Andre the Giant* (STR & CON).

*Andre could drink an ENORMOUS amount of alcohol compared to most people.

Will look at playing with Beast and Angel with a lower Speed.  Makes me happy in a lot of ways as it frees points for other things.  

Edit: It is actually what I spent my time since Hyper-Man first responded doing.  Just looking around and thinking about it for the characters I had already worked on.  

An option I sometimes use: keep SPD within a narrow range, and differentiate between characters on the basis of DEX.

That means that fast characters go first, are hard to hit, but don't hog all the screen time.

Of course, you then have to match the range of SPDs to whatever NPCs are being used in the campaign.

post-9040-0-75969000-1421293067.jpg

Cyclops

Scott "Slim" Summers

Characteristics

13 STR (Cost 3; Roll 12-; HTH Damage 2 1/2d6;  END 1)

13 DEX (Cost 6; Roll 12-)

18 CON (Cost 8; Roll 13-)

15 INT (Cost 5; Roll 12-; PER Roll 12-)

18 EGO (Cost 8; Roll 13-)

20 PRE (Cost 10; Roll 13-; PRE Attack: 4d6)

OCV (Cost 20)

7 DCV (Cost 20)

3 OMCV (Cost 0)

DMCV (Cost 0)

SPD  (Cost 20; Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12)

PD (Cost 6; 8/19 PD; 0/11 rPD)

ED (Cost 3; 9/20 ED; 4/15 rED)

15 REC (Cost 11)

50 END (Cost 6)

12 BODY (Cost 2)

40 STUN (Cost 10)

Movement

Running 8m/16m (Cost -4; END 1)

Swimming 2m/4m (Cost -1; END 1)

Leaping 4m (Cost 0; 4m forward, 2m upward)

Powers

Energy Absorption: (Total: 33 Active Cost, 17 Real Cost) 

Absorption 10 BODY  (energy, Optic Blasts), Increased Maximum (x2 points) (+1/4), Expanded Effect (x2 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (+1/2), Absorption As A Defense (Normal; +1/2), Optic Blasts (+1/2) (27 Active Points); Requires A Roll (EGO roll; Must be made each Phase/use; -1), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2) (Real Cost: 11) 

Resistant Protection (4 ED) (Real Cost: 6)

Ruby Quartz Visor: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost 3)

Standard Superhero Costume: Resistant Protection (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Requires A Roll (14- roll; Must be made each Phase/use; -1/4) (Real Cost 8)

Telepathic Resistance: Mental Defense (10 points total) (Real Cost 10)

Optic Blasts: Multipower, 61-point reserve, all slots Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4) (91 Active Points); all slots Unified Power (Optic Blasts; -1/4), Restrainable (Only by head restraint or keeping fingers off visor & palm triggers; -1/4) (Real Cost 61)

1)  Concussive Blast: Blast 8d6, Double Knockback (+1/2) (60 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Unified Power (Optic Blasts; -1/4), Restrainable (Only by head restraint or keeping fingers off visor & palm triggers; -1/4) - END=3 (Real Cost 3f)

2) Full Power Blast: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (60 Active Points); Side Effects (Whenever deprived of Ruby Quartz eyewear Scott must make an EGO roll every Phase to keep his eyes shut or Full Power Blast+Power Blast will trigger on appropriate targets; -3/4), Unified Power (Optic Blasts; -1/4), Restrainable (Only by head restraint or keeping fingers off visor & palm triggers; -1/4) (Real Cost 3f)

3)  Impact Blast: Blast 9 1/2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/4) (60 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Unified Power (Optic Blasts; -1/4), Restrainable (Only by head restraint or keeping fingers off visor & palm triggers; -1/4) - END=3 (Real Cost 3f)

4)  Line of Destruction: Blast 8d6, Area Of Effect (32m Line; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Unified Power (Optic Blasts; -1/4), Restrainable (Only by head restraint or keeping fingers off visor & palm triggers; -1/4) - END=3 (Real Cost 3f)

5)  Ricochet: Blast 7d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Indirect (Source Point is the Character, path can change with every use; +1/2) (61 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Requires A Roll (Spatial Geometry roll, -1 per 20 Active Points modifier; -1/4), Unified Power (Optic Blasts; -1/4), Restrainable (Only by head restraint or keeping fingers off visor & palm triggers; -1/4) - END=3 (Real Cost 3f)

6)  Wide Eyed: Blast 8d6, Area Of Effect (16m Cone; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Unified Power (Optic Blasts; -1/4), Restrainable (Only by head restraint or keeping fingers off visor & palm triggers; -1/4) - END=3 (Real Cost 3f)

Martial Arts

+1 HTH Damage Class (Cost 4)

Aikido & Judo

1)  Dodge:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort (Cost 4)

2)  Escape:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 33 STR vs. Grabs (Cost 4)

3)  Takedown:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +1 DCV, 3 1/2d6 Strike; Target Falls (Cost 3)

Enerjutsu

1)  Disarming Blast:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +0, Disarm, +3 DC to Disarm (Cost 4)

2)  Long-Range Blast I:  1+1 Phase, +0 OCV, -2 DCV, Range +6, Strike  , +1 Segment (Cost 5)

3)  Power Blast:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +0, Strike, +4 DC (Cost 4)

4)  Weapon Element:  Ranged Killing Attacks (Cost 1)

Skills

+1 Overall SL (Cost 12)

+1 CSL with Optic Blast (Cost 5)

+2 RSLs with Optic Blasts (Cost 4)

+2 TSLs with Optic Blasts (Cost 4)

Breakfall 12- (Cost 3)

Climbing 12- (Cost 3)

Combat Piloting 12- (Cost 3)

Defense Maneuver I (Cost 3)

KS: College Educated 12- (Cost 3)

Language:  English (idiomatic; native) (4 Active Points) (Cost 0)

Language:  Russian (fluent conversation) (Cost 2)

Mechanics 12- (Cost 3)

Oratory 13- (Cost 3)

Persuasion 13- (Cost 3)

PS: Pilot 12- (Cost 3)

PS: Radio Host 11- (Cost 2)

Science Skill:  Geometry 13- (Cost 4)

Survival 12- (Cost 3)

Tactics 16- (Cost 11)

Teamwork 14- (Cost 7)

Talents

Absolute Range Sense (Spatial Awareness) (Cost 3)

Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED) (Cost 12)

Combat Sense 12- (Cost 15)

Handsome: +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)  (Cost 3)

Imposing: +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters) (Cost 3)

Lightning Reflexes (+6 DEX to act first with a Large Group of Actions) (Cost 2)

Resistance (+2 to roll) (Cost 2)

Complications

Code Against Killing:  Psychological Complication (Common; Total) (Points 20)

Distinctive Eyewear:  Distinctive Features (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures) (Points 5)

In Love with Jean Grey:  Psychological Complication (Uncommon; Total) (Points 15)

Mutant:  Distinctive Features (Not Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses) (Points 25)

Mutant Hating Groups:  Hunted Frequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Harshly Punish) (Points 25)

Professor X:  Hunted Frequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Watching) (Points 15)

Secret Identity:  Social Complication Infrequently, Minor (Points 5)

Xavier's Dream:  Psychological Complication (Very Common; Strong) (Points 20)

Complications Points: 130

Totals

Characteristics & Movement Total: 133

Martial Arts Total: 29

Powers Total: 117

Skills Total: 81

Talents Total: 40

Here is Cyclops.  He is a standard Blaster with a glass jaw.  He has a singular power that really defines him for combat, a stern leader role that shapes his personality.  Fun build to work on, and he has a lot of options with how his powers work out that show how hard he works.  His best ability is his Tactics.  He has been said to be a better combat leader than Captain America.  I didn't touch Analyze for him, after a discussion on the boards felt that the two abilities were similar enough at my game table.  

Scott has worked as a Pilot in Alaska in the past, and even before that was a Radio Jockey during the initial run on X-Men.  So both those worked well as professions.  Mechanics I provided him because he has been shown a few times stranded and needing to fix the plane that he is on.  

His OCV and DCV make him reasonably hard to hit, but play with him would need to ensure he is not confronting the heavy hitters by himself.  His Martial Arts give him options on how he wants to approach combat.  

The way that I see him losing his Visor would simply be Full Power Blast with Power Blast from Enerjutsu.  All the other slots in the MPP require the Visor to work.  This was put together as a Side Effect on Full Power Blast.  

This build was also reduced in Spd after I posted my first two.  Going to look at revising them as well for a lower Spd, but uncertain if I like 5 or 4 for them.  

Cyclops v3.hdc

post-9040-0-75969000-1421293067_thumb.jpg

Angel has been updated to a Speed 4.  The extra points went into Bureaucratics, Charm, Teamwork, 2 PRE Skill Levels, 1 more rank of Striking Appearance for his Wings of an Angel, and a few leftover points were dropped into Characteristics.  

Appreciate any feedback on the way that looks instead of the Speed 6 build.  

I am actually really happy to hear that people think that Speeds should be lower on characters.  When I was doing my research I found Beast and Angel (I just double checked them) to be between 5 and 9 Speed.  That along with the Champions book that rarely shows us any sort of Speed of 4 made me feel that I needed to invest more points to keep up.  

Beast has been edited and moved to a Speed 4.  

When dropped Beast to Speed 4 I gave him an OSL, 2 CSLs with his fighting style, adjusted his movement, provided him Hoist and Research, added PS: Scientist (missed that one earlier).  Minor characteristic changes occurred. 

I personally wouldn't have gone with 4 SPDs for experienced versions of the characters. Starting versions (ie circa 1963), maybe. But that's just taste.

If you were going to use them alongside characters from other sources adjustments to one set of characters or the other would probably be necessary.

FWIW, the adult characters in the PS238 RPG tend to cluster around 4 SPD, so you could probably use them with your characters relatively easily.

I usually benchmark my characters against normals, to make sure they "work right", and don't get taken out too easily. Of course that's harder these days, when the normals often have better stuff than what they did in earlier editions. :(

I have struggled with appropriate SPD levels for my characters as well. My campaigns all take place in the published Champions Universe and I often use established villains from the sourcebooks. The published villains Speeds are very high (5-6 is very common) and the temptation to inflate my guys' Speeds to 5 is great. 

So, what do you do for your Speeds?  

I know that I am looking at it and feeling like Angel and Beast might be slow at 4, though the others that I have listed so far seem fine at the Speed 4.  Just seems like Nightcrawler, Beast, and Angel would probably have a bit more action option than the bulk of the heroes.  

Been busy this weekend.  Hope to get some more characters up before school starts back up.