Multipower

Marvelfan007

That special effect description seems just a small step away from full blown Reality Manipulation.  The real question is what can the character NOT do with that ability.  I recommend a much more limited special effect for your first Multipower.  Such a wide open sfx really demands a Variable Power Pool (in some ways a Multipower with an unlimited # of slots) but you need to learn to walk before trying to run. :P

HM

Thank you for your reply and help.

So, I have a character in mind that has the ability of matter manipulation from the old DC Heroes RPG.

In short, it allows him to arrange pre existing matter into any real world object he wants, a lot like Firestorm the Nuclear Man.

BUT the difference is, he can create both complex electronic technology and simple tech nology, such as ox carts and wagons. He can not create items that are fictional found in works of fiction. Silver or copper in contact with his skin will negate the use of his power but he will be able to use his power again when the silve and or copper is no longer in contact with his skin. The maximum amount of matter he can create at a time is ten cubic feet of matter.

Would that work as a multipower? Or would it be better off as the power of Transform?

Transform might be an interesting slot in either a multipower, or a variable pool, so the character who can manipulate matter can transform matter, as well as use that manipulated matter for powers.

What I'd recommend is to start the character with a very limited multipower pool of four or five powers, as his starting set of manipulations he understands how to do, plus the Transform.

The silver/copper limitations are just (Restrainable; -1/4), I'd think, in that it's a fairly tiny limitation, unless his enemies all know it.

Eventually, build it up to a Variable Power Pool, if it works out.

Good luck, and have fun with the character.

That's the thing, i'm not entirely sure what powers would be related to the ability to rearrange matter.

Oh, and @Hyper-Man, that power is NOT like Q.

You might want to leave a bunch of points unspent. Ask the GM as the game goes on if you can do certain things. "Hey I think I want to create a motorcycle now so I can escape." Fill in the slots as you go along.

I'd say you'll probably end up using the same powers over and over again. It's pretty useful to create a gun, so maybe that's one of your slots. Gun, motorcycle, grenade, radio, etc. then I'd take a Summon, so I could create bigger items (like a car or helicopter). I'd probably take some other slots to represent my raw abilities as well. A big Entangle to represent creating stuff around my opponent. An Indirect EB to represent creating stuff above someone and dropping it on him. Tunneling for turning stuff into air. An NND to represent changing the oxygen around someone to something else. A Dispel vs tech to disintegrate people's foci. And then a regular old Transform for miscellaneous effects.

There are a lot of ways of doing DC-style 'Matter Manipulation'.

The Ultimate Energy Projector includes Telekinesis to control physical matter, Entangle (now Barrier) by enveloping the target with available matter or changing air into something solid, and Energy Blast Indirect From Above to turn air into an anvil.

It also has a pretty nasty RKA based on manipulating the matter of a living target, but what I think you're looking for is Object Creation, a hefty Transformation Attack Requires Skill Roll with a wide range of possible objects created from thin air or whatever matter is lying around.

The objects created would then depend on skills like Weaponsmith or Inventor, or at least Eidetic Memory plus appropriate KS and other skills: Electronics to create a working radio or smart phone, Mechanics plus Transport Familiarity to make a working motorcycle or bicycle, Gambling to produce dice and decks of cards, etc.

I recommend start with a defense, a movement, and an attack all with Variable Special Effects, Variable Advantages and/or Variable Adders in the multipower, other than the Object Creation, and get the Power skill to allow modifications. Make them multi-slots, so the points can be allocated as you need phase by phase.

Armor (Resistant Protection), based on forming a suit around your hero, Flight based on a jet pack he creates on his back -- with (+1/4 Variable advantage; +1/2) can use it at reduced endurance, or costs endurance only to activate, or as second mode of movement for a propeller pack for swimming or motorcycle for high speed running -- and HA for a jousting lance or baseball bat. If you prefer, he could know his guns, and make a pistol. Or shuriken out of thin air.

Matter manipulation is limited only by your imagination.