Help Me Understand VPPs

CallMeBlue

OK, so the way I understand it, the pool per se is the total number of points worth of powers you can run at once; while the control cost limits the maximum active point total of any given power.

So if I built a character with a 90-point cosmic pool and a 60-point control rating, then it would cost 90+(30)*(1+1+1) = 180 character points. He then could have up to 90 points of powers active within the pool, but none of them could exceed an active point cost of 60. Is that right?

When both a pool and its constituent powers use limitations, I know that the pool points don't go up or down. But do I "buy" a power with points from the pool at the discounted rate based on the given power's total limitations, or at its full active point cost?

With respect to magical VPPS, I notice that supplements like _Spells of the Devachan_ include perception spells like "Arcane Eye;" and yet the HERODesigner flags an error when I try to include those in the VPP. Also, as a long-time fan of Dr. Strange, I note that many times he used obviously temporary spells to alter his perceptions beyond his baseline. How would I duplicate that functionality with a VPP?

Thanks in advance.

You have the cost correct.

Generally special powers simply are not allowed in a frame work. However your game master may allow them to simulate effects that make sense such a a gadget guy making binoculars.

In some settings it makes sense that certain spells must be studied individually such as immortality or Dragon form. In others you may be able to convince your game master to allow some exceptions for you.

I would tell him your ideas and see what you can agree on. Then just tell hero designer to ignore the rule.

OK, so the way I understand it, the pool per se is the total number of points worth of powers you can run at once; while the control cost limits the maximum active point total of any given power.

So if I built a character with a 90-point cosmic pool and a 60-point control rating, then it would cost 90+(30)*(1+1+1) = 180 character points. He then could have up to 90 points of powers active within the pool, but none of them could exceed an active point cost of 60. Is that right?

When both a pool and its constituent powers use limitations, I know that the pool points don't go up or down. But do I "buy" a power with points from the pool at the discounted rate based on the given power's total limitations, or at its full active point cost?

With respect to magical VPPS, I notice that supplements like _Spells of the Devachan_ include perception spells like "Arcane Eye;" and yet the HERODesigner flags an error when I try to include those in the VPP. Also, as a long-time fan of Dr. Strange, I note that many times he used obviously temporary spells to alter his perceptions beyond his baseline. How would I duplicate that functionality with a VPP?

Thanks in advance.

So let's assume all the spells in this VPP will have a minimum of -1 worth of Limitations. 

That functionally means:

Each spell can have up to 60 Active Points (this is never changed by Limitations) .

With a Real Cost of 30 (or less depending on Active Cost) the character can use 3 spells at the same time (90/30 = 3).

Hope that helps.

:) HM

The former.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants an indoor heated Variable Power Pool