A few funny character bits from my campaign

bigdamnhero

As we get ready to wrap up my current campaign, I thought I’d share a few of my favorite character bits that my wonderfully crazy players came up with! (Context: Champions game, but the PCs are supervillains.)

Mrs. Steel is a beautiful woman brick who wears expensive tailored suits into battle. After every fight, having absorbed enough damage to kill a small planet, she just brushes off a little dust, straightens her tie, and looks like nothing happened. (Think Jaws from the old Bond movies.)

• Sharp Dressed Woman:  Cosmetic Transform 1d6 (Worn or damaged suit into a clean, new, suit), Trigger (+3/4) (5 Active Points); Limited Target (the Suit; -1), No Range (-1/2) [1 END, 2 RP]

Vengeance, the World’s Greatest Assassin , has a ginormous weapon collection back at his base. “So you say the creatures are vulnerable to silver weapons, but only if they were forged by left-handed elves under a new moon while playing Alan Parsons music? I have just the thing…”

• The Right Weapon:  Variable Power Pool (Weapon Pool), 32 base + 66 control cost, No Skill Roll Required (+1), Powers Can Be Changed As A Zero-Phase Action (+1) (131 Active Points); Tech weapons only (-1/2), Can only carry 6 weapons at a time, Load can only be changed at the armory (-1/2); all slots OIF or better (-1/2) [72 RP]

Hellawes is a medieval sorceress transported into the modern world. Her favorite modern invention is the ziploc baggie; see if you can guess why? Complications include but are not limited to...

• Distinctive Features:  Has no soul (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Magic)
  • Psychological Limitation:  Will chase after any lead concerning Merlin or Lancelot (Common; Strong)
  • Psychological Complication:  Collects human eyeballs (Common; Moderate)
  • Psychological Complication:  Bat Shit Crazy (Common; Strong)

The Gentleman Loser is a luck-based speedster with a gambling problem:  

• Psychological Complication: Addicted to gambling (Common, Strong)
  • 4d6 Luck, Does not work with gambling
  • 3d6 Unluck, Only with gambling

On a brighter note, there’s always plenty of people willing to take his money, so…

• Positive Reputation:  Always loses money (among poker players) 11-, and
  • Contact: Various people I owe money to, Only if I have money to pay them back, 11-

Last but not least, Lord Ruin is an immortal Doctor Doom-type master villain complete with Distinctive Features: SPEAKS IN ALL CAPS! His initial character concept included:

• “It Was Just A Ruin-Bot!”  Healing BODY 1d6, Resurrection (30 Active Points); Resurrection only (-1/2), Must have access to a robotics labs ahead of time (-1)

The idea being that any time he gets killed, we “reveal” that it was actually one of his robot doubles all along, and the “real” Ruin is waiting for them back at the base.

As fun as the Ruin-Bot gag was, after awhile the player decided to retcon this to more conventional resurrection to explain how he had survived all those centuries before robotics came along. Which means we got to add what has become one of my all-time favorite Perk Limitations:

• Contact:  The Greek Gods (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources); Only while dead (-2) 13-

Happy New Year!

Nice.  Right Weapon reminds me of the old Harbinger of Justice from Dark Champions.  Whenever his gun ran out of charges, he's just reach under his cloak and pull out another gun.  He ALWAYS had another gun.

Right. Except in this case Vengeance can only carry a limited number at one time, so at some point he has to return to Base to get more. BTW, he started out with a Weapon MP, and then kept putting his XP into more and more slots until it was cheaper to rebuild it as a VPP - which was his original concept, but he couldn't afford it initially.

"Harvester of eyes that's me" ;)

She actually had a bunch of spells designed around the use of eyeballs: clairvoyance, summoning, and the like. Creepy Lady...

One more. The PCs have decided they want to break into Hell, because of course they do. Their cunning plan (which cannot fail) is to kill Lord Ruin again, and then bind their souls to his so they're all swept down to Hades. From there they cross over the "border" to Hell proper, commit shenanigans, and then sneak back to Hades in time to all be resurrected together. It all fits in nicely with several of their existing powers: Ruin's Resurrection and Contacts: Greek Gods, Hellawes' ability to summon demons and the souls of dead people, etc. This is a plot device power, obviously, but I thought it would be fun to stat it out because I'm like that. Let me know what you think?

Resurrection Ride-Along: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension: Hades), Trigger (Triggered by characters' death and resurrection; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once, Recipients must be within Limited Range of the Grantor for power to be granted; +1 1/4) (60 Active Points); x10 Endurance Cost (END; -4), 2 Charges which Recover every Month (-2 1/2), Extra Time (1 Hour to Activate, -1 1/2), OAF Bulky (Summoning Circle; -1 1/2), Costs Endurance to Activate (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) [5 RP; 60 END]

Nice.  Right Weapon reminds me of the old Harbinger of Justice from Dark Champions.  Whenever his gun ran out of charges, he's just reach under his cloak and pull out another gun.  He ALWAYS had another gun.

Yeah, I've designed characters with RKAs that were essentially guns, but w the IIF limitation. The character either always had another gun on him, or could grab a pre-positioned gun (a la Chow Yun Fat in various gun fu roles) or the weapons of defeated foes. If you could subdue and handcuff him, you could deprive him of a weapon, but if he was able to move around and had a free hand, it was all but impossible to disarm him.